1st AR, need help

1st AR, need help

This is a discussion on 1st AR, need help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be purchasing my first AR and am overwhelmed at the choices. I will not be invading iran any time soon and will not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 1st AR, need help

1st AR, need help

I will be purchasing my first AR and am overwhelmed at the choices. I will not be invading iran any time soon and will not be competing. It will be mostly for fun but I want a rifle that will last. I would rather spend a little more money now than regret my purchase later. I am leaning towards Colt, Ruger, or S@W. I trust these brands and think they may be the safe bet. What would you guys suggest?

I'm looking at the S&W M&P 15 Sport. The reviews are good and with the money I save I can buy lots of .223, a couple mags and practice. I am looking for a good, inexpensive red dot sight. I guess that is dreaming though.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

VIP Member
    If you can afford it go with the Colt. Just get the 20" service rifle and go from there. Learn how to shoot it with iron sites. After time you could get another and play with optics.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What is your budget? That is critical in making a suggestion.
    atctimmy likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I would like to stay below $1500 all in. I would like to have 3 mags, a sling and maybe a red dot.

Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, or noveske would be my choices..

Look at Ranier Arms. Their own rifle with sights is under 1500. I just got a Daniel Defense from them, if you can afford one its a great rifle.

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by mjblat View Post
    I would like to stay below $1500 all in. I would like to have 3 mags, a sling and maybe a red dot.

PSA 16'' Hammer Forged M4A1 Patrol Rifle Package
    $1,199.99

1984_1.jpg

Barrel length 16"
    Hammer Forged Barrel
    Machine Gun Steel

5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist
    Double-thick Chrome-lined bore and chamber
    High pressure tested
    Magnetic particle inspected

M4A1 profile
    M4 feedramps
    Forged upper
    T-marks
    Full auto bolt carrier
    Carpenter 158 Bolt
    Magnetic particle inspected bolt

Single Stage Combat Trigger
    6-position Mil-spec diameter buffer tube
    Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic
    Magpul MBUS
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I was able to get a Colt LE6920 with Magpul furniture for $1050. It came with the cleaning kit, basic sling, and two PMags. I've hard of the regular LE6920s going in the $900s and some people have even found them at WalMart. Some places might be higher but if you look you can find some deals. Like some of the others mentioned BCM, and DD are good choices to. Buy once, cry once.

VIP Member
    There are top shelf makers in your price range. I suggest this one:

Colt LE 6920MP M4 16 Magpul MOE at G and R Tactical

Colt=Top shelf

I just recently went through getting my first AR, so I can empathize with what you're going through. If you're looking for an excellent rifle for around $1500 (or less) then the Colt that atctimmy linked is a great choice. You can also get a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense rifle for around that same price as well.

The PSA package that sgb linked is also a great deal and has the added benefit of including a high quality red dot sight. PSA is not considered a "top tier" rifle, but has a good reputation for quality and should be adequate for what you're intended purposes are, with the added benefit of leaving you some cash left over for ammo and training. I highly recommend that you factor training into your budget to really get the most out of whatever you end up buying.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Colt, because it's a...COLT!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A lesson I learned, I went budget and put all the goodies on it (a Bushmaster) and realized it was still a budget rifle just with neat stuff attached. In the end I was not happy and sold it. I just got a DD and the difference is unbelievable. A lesson I learned in other things applies here-if you compromise you will not be happy. I understand that money is tight for everyone, but $200-300 is a huge difference, and you will be happier in the long run. That's why they make mac n cheese in a box, this months crappy dinner is next months sweet AR.

I was originaly considering some of the ARs others posted above. I wouldnt mind a Colt seeing as Im a Connecticut native.

But then I started looking at Palmetto State ARs. You can get a MilSpec PSA with a flat top upper (A4 configuration I believe) for $700! With the money you save you can get some P-mags and add whatever furniture or optics you want.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

LMT Defender Standard. Will run you $1,300 ordered directly from LMT. Will beat out any other off the rack AR out there. It's milspec 5.56 with a chrome bbl that has a 1:7 twist. Second choice is easily a Colt, then DD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links