Shoulder is killing me

This is a discussion on Shoulder is killing me within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by msc8127 Grin and bear it. Practice a lot. And, don't be afraid to seek out help from someone who has more long ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Shoulder is killing me

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msc8127 View Post
    Grin and bear it. Practice a lot. And, don't be afraid to seek out help from someone who has more long gun experience and can help you with managing recoil. From what you have said I would be very focused on making sure your practice doesn't result in developing a flinch. The 2 3/4" rounds aren't bad once you've burned through a couple boxes and get past the initial "wow". There are shoulder pads you can but that help mitigate recoil. Pass or Past is a brand name I believe...I have one that I use when burning through 300 win mag or 338 lapua rounds. It seems to help, but I typically get annoyed with it moving around and just manage the situation without it. Main thing is just to keep practicing and you will quickly adapt to it assuming you are practicing good fundamentals.

sent via iCarry
    I have never tried one but here is a link to the PAST Shields.

PAST | Recoil Protection -MidwayUSA
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    My ITHACA (the only 12 that I own at this time) is basically "box stock" with the exception of the DSPS Police/Riot barrel. Factory wood stock & forend. Oh...and I did have the stock shorted a bit and made up the length difference with a rubber recoil pad. Noting special about that...just rubber. There are better ones available these days but, I don't see any real need to fit a more recent one.
    I shoot mine basically the same as Haught but, a bit more forward and some bend to the knees to facilitate movement.
    I have used the Push/Pull for a long time now since it pretty much eliminates muzzle rise which really increases speed.
    When I learned it...it was called Dynamic Tension and I shoot my handguns the same way (w/ Dynamic Tension) but, with a crush grip.

I work out weekly with the GripMaster Extra Heavy so my "crush" grip is truly a crushing grip these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Better still, if your gun range has a trap/skeet area, grab a couple of the old salts and have them take you through the paces.
    There you go right there. The very first time I shot my Mossberg I took it to the local range only to find out I couldn't pattern it only shoot skeet. So I did and the wife and I met up with a very helpful older guy. This guy shot so much skeet he had callus's on his cheek. He show'd us how to hold it right and how to lead the the targets. It was a great time.
    As said above make sure you are pulling it tight to your shoulder , seems that is the biggest mistake by first timers. I have the 500 and my twelve can shoot it without getting bruised now, but yes indeed it took some practice and lots of reminders on holding it tight.

Ha, if you didn't like shooting 2 3/4 then imagine what the larger loads feel like. I shot some 3" slugs and buckshot and it was no fun at all. IMO, 2 3/4 slugs and buck were a blast! My m590a1 is accurate with slugs out to 100 yards. Like a few have mentioned, keep the stock tight against your shoulder. It WILL make a difference. ENJOY.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Better still, if your gun range has a trap/skeet area, grab a couple of the old salts and have them take you through the paces.
    So I did and the wife and I met up with a very helpful older guy. This guy shot so much skeet he had callus's on his cheek. He show'd us how to hold it right and how to lead the the targets. It was a great time.
    That's the type, exactly. The one with calluses on the cheek and fingertips, with grit under the nails, with dead-nuts aim that can knock the eye out of a pheasant at 50yds. Invaluable.

And you can end up making a great friend, to boot.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    There you go right there. The very first time I shot my Mossberg I took it to the local range only to find out I couldn't pattern it only shoot skeet. So I did and the wife and I met up with a very helpful older guy. This guy shot so much skeet he had callus's on his cheek. He show'd us how to hold it right and how to lead the the targets. It was a great time.
    As said above make sure you are pulling it tight to your shoulder , seems that is the biggest mistake by first timers. I have the 500 and my twelve can shoot it without getting bruised now, but yes indeed it took some practice and lots of reminders on holding it tight.
    Met a gentleman like that a long time ago, his advice took me from hitting 1 or 2 at skeet to hitting 19 or 20. Was glad I took the time to listen to him.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You can try the Rob Haught Push/Pull shooting method.

Lots of folks do it wrong but, if it's done correctly you can stay right on target w/ the 12 and greatly reduce felt recoil impact to the shoulder.

Watch the Video. The sound is not great.

Oddly enough, I shoot with the same stance he does, and sorta use the push pull tehcnique hes describing. I guess I never really new it, its just something ive come to use natually due to some joint issues I have on my hips, legs, and shoulders.

I have a Mossberg 590 Unmodified. It has a thick rubber butt pad, but, other then that, its as is. This is the way I like it though, It hurt like hell the first few times but you do get used to it after a while. I practice shooting both left and right sides. and lastly, I practice with Winchester 2 3/4 extra light loads. I could go stronger, sure, but im using the practice time to emphasize aiming, technique and accuracy. I usually finish up with 00 Buck, or similar, to remind myself how much of a punch a 12 ga; has...

...and I enjoy the bag factor too. Heh.

Ive never done skeet or trap shooting, I am gonna do that soon to round things out.

I would suggest trying one of the low recoil buckshot loads made specifically for home/personal defense.

Look at SGAmmo.com shotgun loads.
    Last edited by BamaT; August 25th, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: clarification, link didn't work
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Recoil pad and practice your shoulder learns to get used to it. We shoot alot of clays before dove season each year my shoulder is always sore the next morning after not shooting but after a couple practice sessions its unnoticable (keep in mind this is with target loads not slugs, slugs are to expensive for me to practice with much, try buck shot)

I'm going to bet that you're letting the butt of the gun slap your shoulder. Sometimes when you're not used to a new type of weapon, as I was when I bought my Mosin Nagant, you'll shoulder it improperly and let it slap you.

VIP Member
    Shotguns, generally speaking, are the most unforgiving in regards to improper or a bad technique.

There is a lot of great advice given. Find someone to show you how to shoot it, tailor you ammunition to your requirements, use the technique that was shown in the video. It is always good to use the same method for shooting, if it works, for multiple firearms.

Invest in a few boxes of AA skeet, low base shotgun shells. Use these to practice technique with. It will be a lot cheaper and less painful on your body than OO buck or slugs.

QK my first duty shotgun was a box stock Ithaca DSPS with rifled sights. I carried that shotgun for years. Kicked like a mule but always worked. I will find another one someday.
    tricolordad likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have never tried one but here is a link to the PAST Shields.

PAST | Recoil Protection -MidwayUSA
    Thanks for doing the digging! Those are the products I was trying to refer to. They do reduce feltb recoil a good bit. They just require a little constant adjustment to stay in place. They are worth the money if you need a way to either work up to the recoil that is created by whatever gun, or if you just want to be able to shoot longer with more comfort.

sent via iCarry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links