Wasr vs DPMS vs Smith & Wesson m&p sport

This is a discussion on Wasr vs DPMS vs Smith & Wesson m&p sport within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey forum, I have been looking for a rifle for several months. Mainly to do some plinking and...well hey just because I want one. Was ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Wisewolf
  • 2 Post By RKM
  • 2 Post By tacman605
  • 1 Post By Aiko

Thread: Wasr vs DPMS vs Smith & Wesson m&p sport

Wasr vs DPMS vs Smith & Wesson m&p sport

Hey forum, I have been looking for a rifle for several months. Mainly to do some plinking and...well hey just because I want one. Was stuck between the AK variants and the AR 15. I just need something accurate up to at least 200 yards in worst case scenario. If there happened to be a hurricane in MIssouri (yeah right) and I needed a rifle, or a zombie take over, or for some odd reason a home defense scenario, I want something reliable and affordable. I am a big reliability nut, which is why I own glocks and a Remington 870. I know I can get A decent AK style rifle for about $600. Went to my local cabelas, the have a DPMS Panther Oracle on sale for $629. VEry very basic rifle, no sights so I would like to buy iron sights (not sure about price) if I were to get this. They also have the smith & wesson m&p sport right for $729 with iron sights already on it. Just wondering what would be your opinion and experiences with these guns.
    thanks guys

2. Remove Ads

I am in the same place. The WASR or a decent quality AR. I am leaning towards the AR, but I want to look at the new Mossberg AR first. Only a little more, but floating barrel and some other nice features. The attractive thing about the AK's is the cheap ammo prices. It's hard to find AR ammo nearly as cheap.

Sent via Mental Power

You might look at the sig 556. It is double the money you are talking about and had some issues when it first came out "every new gun has bugs to work out" But from all the current reviews this gun is a winner. It has ak action in a more modern package. You can either get it in 5.56 or 7.62. Like you I also have taken an extremely long time to buy a rifle because of worrying about reliability,but I think I have found the right gun for me. Now just a matter of getting the funds together.
    tacman605 likes this.

RKM
    Out of the three you mentioned, the M&P15 Sport would be the highest quality.

VIP Member
    Well to both of you welcome to the forum.

Both systems are reliable and accurate. Remember, An AR is more reliable and the AK more accurate than you hear about on the internet. With proper care and lube an AR/M4 will do what it is supposed to do. My primary AR at home was built using a Fail Zero Upper Receiver that is coated with Nickel Boron. It requres no lube at all but again that is just what I use. My AK's are also built. I have no problems hitting targets at long distances with my rifles but they are not your average AK's.

There are dozens of AR's out there just depends on your budget. Stick with a major brand. Of the ones you guys mentioned go with the Smith. Yes there are rifles that offer neat features that others don't. The question is do you need or would you even notice the difference?

Some decent AR's, and everyone has their own ideas on this, come from CMMG the folks that make .22 conversions. They supply many AR makers and now make their own rifles that won't break the bank. Windham Weaponry, CORE both make good mil spec rifles that will fit in your budget. Don't limit yourself to what is on hand look around and have it ordered that way you can get what you want at a decent price. Check Davidson's online and they can ship the gun to whatever FFL or go to gunbroker they have hundreds listed. Any name brand AR will do what you want it to do. Go with quality instead of gadgets or features you will be better off in the long run.

It will be your gun to do with what you want but remember, the AR/M4 type rifle was designed as a short, lightweight, carbine don't fall into the "Wow that is neat, let's put this on there. I don't need it or know what it does but it looks cool" crowd. Get the gun, whichever one it is, and outfit it for what you need or want the rifle to do. You will be much happier in the long run.

As far as AK's WASR's can be great rifles but you can also have canted sights which are a fairly simple fix if you know what you are doing. Check Atlantic Firearms they have some great deals on AK's and AR's. AK's will come in two different receiver types, stamped and milled. Stamped is exactly that it starts as a flat piece of metal and is folded and stamped into the shape of the receiver. Milled starts as a solid piece of steel and metal is milled out. Rumor has it that stamped receivers will last a lifetime, milled receivers will last two. Not sure if it is true as I have never worn out either one.

You will pay more for a milled receiver in both dollars and weight compared to a stamped. Some can't do without a milled receiver it never has made any difference to me. AK's will come with a variety of stocks in wood, side folders, underfolders and so on. Start with the wood you can do a lot more with it as far as replacements and they are simply more robust.
    Remember an AK is not an AR!!!!!!! You do not run them the same and you can't make one into the other. The closet hybrid to them both is a SIG 550 series rifle but they are rather pricey. Either one you get learn to fight with it not just shoot it. You will find an AK heavier than an AR and for the lack of a better word, not as handy to operate.

The main complaints with an AK type rifle are:

The rear sight notch is to narrow and the front sight post is to wide. Yep they are. Get a small file and widen the rear sight notch, not make it deeper then simply purchase a narrow front sight post. Easy fix.

The safety is hard/awkward/not like an AR to operate. Yep right again. There are a couple of aftermarket safeties that offer a ledge, notch, lever to make the safety easier/handier to operate or simply train to engage or disengage the safety as intended using your none dominate hand. You have to realize that the US is one of the few countries that has the Green, Amber, Red, safety on, safety off thing going on.
    Soviet doctrine with and AK is/was fairly simple, just like the rifle. Safety off, chamber a round, if you are going to shoot right now leave it off, if not engage safety. When in contact with the enemy take the safety off fire as needed. When not actively engaged with the enemy leave the safety off and keep you finger off the trigger and it won't go bang. Repeat as needed. Pretty simple.

The last thing is you can't just stick a magazine in you have to insert the front first and rock it in and the mags don't drop free. Again correct however the AK is among the top battle rifles in the world that you have to do the same thing like the M-14 and the FN/FAL. Get over it. This is a training issue. When the mag is empty, and you will not know until you hear a click as the bolt does not lock back on and empty mag except for certain Yugo manufactured mags, simply withdraw another mag, use it to push the mag release and knock the empty out of the way. Insert new mag, charge the rifle and go.

One word of advice though. You did not mention caliber on the AK but if you get a 5.45 rifle, AK-74, which they are great rifles and ammo is cheap, most of the ammo is corrosive so you must clean it after you fire it everytime. Also no matter how good the price do not order a Century 5.45 rifle online. Many Century rifles in this caliber are built from parts. One of major issues is that they do not use true 5.45 barrels on the rifles they use 5.56 barrels which when fired causes the smaller 5.45 rounds to keyhole and are not accurate.

I don't really prefer one over the other and have a some of both. I carry AK's here and have no issues with them. I am more and more leaning towards my SIG 556 as it has the best of both worlds so to speak, AK reliability and AR controls.

Hope this helps. There are tons of folks on here that can help. If you need some more specifics of where to look send me a PM.
    jdsumner and glockman10mm like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Thumbs up

"An AR is more reliable and the AK more accurate than you hear about on the internet."- tacman605

OMG! What are you doing? Posting things like this prompt me to think you are shooting and training with and evaluating these platforms instead of regurgitation Internet Commando Intel (ICI)!

Tac's got it. Go handle them, choose the one that 'speaks' to you.

dan

I can't speak to your other choices but I do love my M&P Sport. It has been perfect through some 2000 rounds of mixed range and 3 gun use. Good luck with your decision.

I put together an AR for about $900. It is a LMT lower and a Rifle Gear (made by Daniel Defense) upper. At 100 yards I was shooting 1" groups with Ultramax ammo. I could probably do better but it was about 25 mph wind that day.

Out of your three choices, if it really is a complete disaster, I probably want the WASR. It has the chome-lined barrel the S&W is lacking and the DPMS is generally just built with a lot of cut corners. However, if you're open to other options, a PSA carbine or a Spikes Tactical cost little more than the S&W and are built to better specs.

A light profile PSA upper kit (just find a lower to mate it to):
    PSA 16" Mid-length, Light profile, CL MP Premium Upper - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

Spikes M4:
    ST-15 16 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $865.95 : Spikes Tactical

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    Out of the three you mentioned, the M&P15 Sport would be the highest quality.
    +1, agreed
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

I am new to AR's as well, but I recommend taking a look at Windham Weaponry. Windham Weaponry Online -
    Springfield 1911
    Windham AR SRC
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Walther P22

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    Hey forum, I have been looking for a rifle for several months. Mainly to do some plinking and...well hey just because I want one. Was stuck between the AK variants and the AR 15. I just need something accurate up to at least 200 yards in worst case scenario. If there happened to be a hurricane in MIssouri (yeah right) and I needed a rifle, or a zombie take over, or for some odd reason a home defense scenario, I want something reliable and affordable. I am a big reliability nut, which is why I own glocks and a Remington 870. I know I can get A decent AK style rifle for about $600. Went to my local cabelas, the have a DPMS Panther Oracle on sale for $629. VEry very basic rifle, no sights so I would like to buy iron sights (not sure about price) if I were to get this. They also have the smith & wesson m&p sport right for $729 with iron sights already on it. Just wondering what would be your opinion and experiences with these guns.
    thanks guys
    As of a few weeks ago, Academy had the M&P Sport for $650. Dunno if you can still get it for that, but if so, it's a no-brainer.

Regards,
    Jim

I've got thousands of rounds through my M&P Sport and I love it. Nothing but reliable with ANY ammo i put in it. I paid $700 for mine out the door with 5 boxes of ammo, so better deals can be found.

I second the M&P 15 sport. I have one and its my favorite rifle. Its relatively cheap, has been absolutely reliable for thousands of rounds, has some options for modification, and is easy to maintain. Unless you're into building rifles part by part, or spending lots of money on 'battle-ready' platforms, the Sport is hard to beat as a plinker
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

Links