Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions - Page 2

Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions

This is a discussion on Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Aside from the DNR and feeding issues... The 7.52x54R with a soft point will have absolutely no problem leveling a black bear provided you do ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions

Aside from the DNR and feeding issues...

The 7.52x54R with a soft point will have absolutely no problem leveling a black bear provided you do your job and either put it through the skull, spine, lungs, or heart.

Well, it came back last night. Didnt have a way to film it, but I thought of a good solution. Now to see if he comes back. I placed 4 2liter soda bottles filled with white vinegar and chipotle sauce on my row of shootin stumps (laugh it up) and as soon as he wandered over there I popped one with the mosin from my roof patio. It jumped back and sniffed around so I shot the next one and pow vinegar and chipotle sauce up his nose in his eyes ears and he let put a surprised kind of belch and tore outta there with what im assuming is a bear scream lol. Lets see if he ever comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Aside from the DNR and feeding issues...

The 7.52x54R with a soft point will have absolutely no problem leveling a black bear provided you do your job and either put it through the skull, spine, lungs, or heart.
    Id still really rather not until its in season. Make a good rug though.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Well, it came back last night. Didnt have a way to film it, but I thought of a good solution. Now to see if he comes back. I placed 4 2liter soda bottles filled with white vinegar and chipotle sauce on my row of shootin stumps (laugh it up) and as soon as he wandered over there I popped one with the mosin from my roof patio. It jumped back and sniffed around so I shot the next one and pow vinegar and chipotle sauce up his nose in his eyes ears and he let put a surprised kind of belch and tore outta there with what im assuming is a bear scream lol. Lets see if he ever comes back.
    Sounds like it could be a good short term deterrent, but I wouldn't expect him to leave forever. He's found a food source and he'll stay relatively close to it until he's either relocated or put down. I'd hate to see it done, but if it's really becoming a problem, it may have to be the latter. I'd research WI law regarding bears. Some states allow you to shoot a "menacing" bear out of season, meaning it doesn't have to actually be attacking you. If WI has something to that effect, I'd venture to say you would probably be good to shoot next time it chews on your SUV.

We had a mountain lion out here awhile back. Major pain in the butt. Farmer next door took care of that when it grabbed a calf. I can't imagine how bad it would be to have a bear in your yard.

If I were you, I'd start hounding everyone you can think of. Call the Sheriff's Department every time you see it, harass the DNR as well as FWP and anyone else you can think of until this thing is captured and relocated.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Bear control out here will use 12 GA Noise Makers, Rubber Slugs, and other non-fatal "training aids" to teach bears to avoid neighborhoods. I like the vinegar/chipotle sauce tool too. Creative!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Bear control out here will use 12 GA Noise Makers, Rubber Slugs, and other non-fatal "training aids" to teach bears to avoid neighborhoods. I like the vinegar/chipotle sauce tool too. Creative!
    I think the most effective deterrent would be to remove the food source put out by the neighbors. Too many stupid people in this world, really. They'll probably try to blame the bear when one of them or their pets gets mauled.

I don't have any bears on my side of the state, but I'm no stranger to predators. I have a lot of livestock. Chickens, sheep, goats, etc. I get 'yotes up here once a month or so, and I'm still trying to deal with a crafty fox. Best way to stop them is to remove ANY food. For me, that means locking up the animals at night. For the OP's situation, I think someone making his neighbors deal with the trash is the best way to stop this.

Tricolordad, I'm assuming you're not in city limits since you've been shooting in your yard. Even so, you should look into any county ordinances regarding trash. My county has one that makes it illegal for trash, junk, unregistered vehicles, etc, to be visible from a public road. Might be a potential way to make them deal with their garbage.

Of course, I still say the best idea is to harass the crap out of every government agency that might be able to help. Maybe try to talk to someone a little higher up then you already have.
    tricolordad likes this.

I don't know why I did not remember this until now.

My uncle in Woodland Park CO, volunteered for "Bear Patrol", and they were issued paintball guns with pepper balls. They would cruise the neighborhoods during the night and pepper ball the bears wondering the area. This was DOW (Division of Wildlife) sanctioned. Very effective, and cut the dumpster diving and trash can looting by 90%.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I think the most effective deterrent would be to remove the food source put out by the neighbors.
    I agree, but training a Dumb Human can be harder than training a Bear, and Dumb Humans are harder to relocate.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

One solution that has worked for me when the bears viewed the bird feeders as easy pickings:
    Coat a canister of Bear Spray with peanut butter and raisins (the big cans, not human sized pocket sprays). Then leave it near the pile of trash or wherever he is coming onto your property. You can drizzle some jelly or honey on it to further entice the bears legendary sweet-tooth. When he bites into it, he'll figure out that trash = pain and no more fun.

For defense - anything is better than nothing. 12ga slugs work too. SP in your Mosin will get the job done.
    Just be sure if you shoot that you can defend to the DNR that it was done in defense.
    Of course the real problem is stupid people.
    carracer likes this.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Was making hot wings and splashed a bit too much and the idea literally hit me right in the face.

Im going to see if I can get the owner of the trailer park to evict. Those d-bags are more than just slobs. Theyre thieves, domestic abuse perps/victims and loud drunks pretty much daily...maybe that will solve it. Meanwhile, been a whole 24 hours, no bear yet. Lol. I made another bottle, this one has jalapeno chunks in it mixed with vodka and whiskey. Hell in a bottle.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

gotta say Tricolordad...love your gunpowder solution...with a Mosin...you know, you hold that dumb nears life in your hands...I admire your style...

If i killed that bear my wife would kill me. Shes a bear lover. I am not but i like sleepimg in a bed and not on the floor so i acquiece.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    I like the bear spray can goody treat ... they can be costly but if you think Yogi or another one may return you could place a couple around and keep a check on them to see if they have been activated. If there is one bear coming now there could be more to follow.

The pepper sprays used for personal protection may not be as powerfully hot but for the cost of buying a few of those and covering them in peanut butter, rains, and whatever to intense the bear to chomp it, I'm sure even that hot taste might help keep it away though it may be too small and it could swallow it whole.

Either way I'd get a can of bear spray to have for your own personal protection just in case and keep an eye on your dog too. Good luck with your rogue bruin and I hope no one gets hurt before it's too late !!!

As strange as it sounds, this makes me miss western PA. Living here in South Texas, we don't have the wildlife that I grew up with.

Good luck with this. For your sake and the bear's, I hope the Vinegar and Chipotle worked!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links