Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions

This is a discussion on Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All summer I've had a black bear that just doesn't like to scat. It knocks over trashcans, chews on the roof rack on my SUV, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions

Problem black bear/mosin ammo suggestions

All summer I've had a black bear that just doesn't like to scat. It knocks over trashcans, chews on the roof rack on my SUV, knocs my dogs plastic house around and eats all the strawberries from the garden. Its become even bolder now and I've heard it a few times during the day. The DNR says leave it alone and it will leave, but I'm sensing that its become addicted to the garbage in the nearby trailer park. I have yet to get a picture of it.

The only weapon I have with definitive stopping power that might stop a charging bear, if it ever did, is my 1943 Izhvesk Mosin Nagant M91/30. I've been using Brown Bear 203 gr SP for deer, would that be sufficient to puncture both lungs or go through one and shred the gut of a bear if I ever needed to use it for that? The BB is $12 for a box of 20, otherwise i have that corrosive Romanian 148 gr FMJ surplus but im worried about the quality since i've had a few FTF 2 out of the last 80 that required multiple strikes 1 was a total dud. Any suggestions or expertise to be shared concerning bears? I think somebody maybe feeding this one, its verrry fat and leaves an extra wide swath of destruction on the woods behind my house.

2. Remove Ads

I wish people would figure out that feeding the bears isn't being nice to them - they end up dead. Unfortunately, common sense isn't common.

That wouldn't be my 1st choice for Blackies, but it would be more than sufficient. Folks have been hunting them with 30-06 (and lesser) for ages quite successfully. They're not the mythical beast some people make them out to be, but they're a big animal with teeth and claws. I'd go with reliable stuff, especially if he's not afraid of humans. The last thing I'd want is to hear a very loud "click" as any bear was moving my way. A couple recommendations:

- Google up good kill shot info. The head shot can work, but you have to realize that the CNS is relatively small compared to the skull. The lungs/heart shot is probably the best bet, but you need to realize that they're slightly differently-located than in a deer. [Edit: with the caliber you're using, the shoulders and forearms can screw up a clean-looking shot on them, so take a look at their anatomy - the body shape of a bear obscures the location of those big bones, especially if they're shaggy]
    - Make sure you understand the laws in your area. I think best bet is to get yourself a tag and wait till bear season, if you can. Otherwise, you'll be explaining things to DNR, and depending on your local folks, they can be reasonable or not so much. If you're going to shoot for defense, make sure the situation is set up right to defend such an argument.
    - I wouldn't plan on SSS. Even with a good shot, there's a better than average chance he makes it off your property, and that means a better than average chance you'll not be able to execute the 3rd "S" effectively.

Ive resorted to keeping the rifle with bayonett attached and on me when outside. When i feed the dog or check on him at night, it goes with. Does the size of the vitals increase with weight or are adult black bear organs uniform in size?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Ive resorted to keeping the rifle with bayonett attached and on me when outside. When i feed the dog or check on him at night, it goes with. Does the size of the vitals increase with weight or are adult black bear organs uniform in size?
    Not tryin to be a smart aleck here, but you seriously have got to be kidding about the bayonet on your rifle?

Anything suitable for deer will do well for black bear. But I would think that big long old rifle would be more of a hindrance than a help when out just checking. Id chunk that thing and get me a used 357 mag revolver, or, a 357/44 lever gun.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Amen to glockman's advice. Coincidentally, I was working on one of my M-Ns today in preparation for a range trip tomorrow, and good Lord is it an unwieldy beast. So yeah, go find some shekels and get yourself a more handy defense gun.

In the meantime, if one gun is all you have, then you do want to be prepared. Soft point ammo is the way to go, but if you're shooting because an attack is imminent you'd best aim for a shoulder. You want to disable him "structurally", because an angry bear can do a lot of damage even with shredded heart and lungs, but if he can't run or walk you've bought time for a follow-up shot or shots.

There's some good advice here: Where to Shoot A Bear AlphaTrilogy.com
    oneshot likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Not tryin to be a smart aleck here, but you seriously have got to be kidding about the bayonet on your rifle?

Anything suitable for deer will do well for black bear. But I would think that big long old rifle would be more of a hindrance than a help when out just checking. Id chunk that thing and get me a used 357 mag revolver, or, a 357/44 lever gun.
    No, I'm not kidding. The bayonet is on it because only Gecko45 knifes bears. I'm taking it that you haven't seen a standard 91/30 bayonet.

As for the weight of it, I can handle it quite well. Whilst deer hunting, you'll see me cross rivers over ice covered 2" logs at a run with that big ol rifle over my head. FIL didn't believe what he saw while he braved the 38 degree water lol

It's the largest caliber rifle I have. That being said, it's not the only caliber I have, but I'm not taking an AR-15 with me because I've never killed a bear, much less shot at one and from what I've seen on youtube videos, I'm not sure having a 30 round magazine will actually help when all I have time for is 1, maybe 2 shots in the dark.

I will never ever ever chunk my Mosin. It's my favorite gun!

Thanks for the shoulder advice. I was wondering if that was the place to aim.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    In mother Russia the peasants have been taking bears with the Mosin Nagant since before WWI. The soft point 7.62x54r ammo is good medicine for Black Bears and will do the job effectively with a good solid hit.
    carracer likes this.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    A shot or three with an air rifle to his butt, everytime he's around might give him the idea he should be anywhere but your place......
    Just sayin,

Good luck,
    and the MN is good medicine for bear, but if you have a large cap .40, or a .357 mag. or a .44 mag, I wouldn't be afraid to carry it around while "patroling" the grounds.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Start harassing the DNR seriously. The are feeding you a line of baloney, and tell them they better get out to the neighborhood before some kids get mauled and or the bear killed. You've been given a line a lazy-slob trash and need to be screaming upstream instantly.

It will NOT leave if it finds food - the DNR knows that is a lie - so call them on it, and if they don't respond go further upstream.

.30-30 lever action!
    carracer likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Just buy a box of quality ammo. S&B, Winchester, and I want to say one more company (Speer maybe) make hunting ammo for the 7.62 x 54r.

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 7.62x54R Sellier & Bellot 174gr. MATCH BTHP Ammo [V332472U] - $25.95

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 7.62X54R Winchester 180gr. Soft Point Ammo [MC54RSP] - $24.95
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I can't stress this enough - the people are the problem - not the bears. If the DNR does not handle this NOW in a humane manner, they will end up having to euthanize the bear even though the bear is not at fault. When you call DNR tomorrow remind them they do not want to euthanize the bear. They are just being lazy.

We have "problem" bears every summer, and every time a bear get put down, some even with their cubs, a little piece of me dies.

Please deal with this responsibly.

<Rant Over>

Called the DNR, went on their live chat site. Nothing. They repeated their previous message. I had a former teacher who is still a warden so I may be able to procure a permit that way. They said a 3 foot high garbage pile that I've witnessed the bear feeding on isn't evidence that it's being fed. The saddest thing is that I share a property line with a middle school and that doesn't concern them even though the baseball fields are always in use...I'd rather see the bear removed and relocated, but if they won't do that, then I or somebody else will end up having to kill the bear.

So, I'm going to continue to use the Brown Bear 203 gr SP and hope the bear leaves or that my neighbors will take my advice and stop feeding it although they've stated that they think it's 'cool' to watch the bear eat. I've offered to load their excess garbage up in my truck and take it to the recycling center out of my own pocket but they've refused.

Good luck.

It is illegal to feed wildlife in Colorado.

I think anything over 2 pounds is illegal here. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm tempted to just take his trash out but that would look like (at $3 an extra bag) to be about $30, and he'll probably start dumping somewhere else. I thought only a dog could love garbage that much....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links