Kel-Tec KSG report

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec KSG report within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A buddy brought his new KSG out to the farm yesterday and 3 of us took it out for a spin. I'm typing this with ...

Thread: Kel-Tec KSG report

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Kel-Tec KSG report

A buddy brought his new KSG out to the farm yesterday and 3 of us took it out for a spin. I'm typing this with both hands today but my right side isn't as happy as my left. The KSG provides some significant back talk in recoil. We were shooting Federal buckshot loads, which of course are hot through any 12 gauge. Even more so in this little bull pup design. It kind of takes felt recoil to a new level. I'm a 170 pounds, my buddy 250 or better. Sure, he can absorb more than I but nerve endings are nerve endings. But enough whining, it's not really that bad..... I guess.

He had it fitted with a fore grip and a laser. Conventional sighting on this gun doesn't seem practical. It's tight to settle in to. In total we put more than 100 through it. Fortunately, he did most of that. It functioned perfectly. I wouldn't call it a marvel of quality construction. I don't think it'll take the same round count as a quality trap gun and keep on ticking. That said, I don't think most folks are up to that kind of plinking with it so that may be a non-issue.

Loading the KSG is a tedious process. It takes a few minutes. Unlike an 870, you cant open the action and drop one in the chamber. In a true defensive situation, and after 13 rounds, you'd have to throw it down and grab the backup. But that's 13 fairly evil deliveries so it's difficult to imagine that being required.

Availability of these things, or lack thereof, has driven the prices to a crazy point. He didn't say how much, I didn't ask. Let's say you could get one for $700....is it worth it? I'm not sure. But if his KSG continues to perform as it did yesterday I would have to say yes. For its intended function, it's incredibly effective. It's no picnic being on the right end of but it would be a bit distressing to be on the wrong end.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    After "fondling" one at the local gun show,...I want one. BAD. I love the bullpup design for a home defense weapon as it shortens the overall length of the weapon. Its hard to describe, but I can say that the thing felt AMAZING or just SPECTACULAR, very natural feel to me.

I've had great success with a couple of KT handguns.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

how much does one run? I would never trade it for my custom saiga, but they sure look cool.

VIP Member
    It would be nice to shoot one just for giggles.

While home I did get to shoot a standard Saiga and the MK 1919 semi auto. Both were good guns but I am still waiting for my converted Saiga to come in.

There is another company that has a multi shot bullpup shotgun advertised on Atlantic Firearms site I can't remember the name of it right now.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Got to handle one the other night, weight is low. I figured recoil would be fierce, price would be the only thing holding me back on one. Also got to handle a sweet little 308 bullpup from KT, now that was impressive! 2K+ though, but for sheer small size in a 308 it can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    It would be nice to shoot one just for giggles.

While home I did get to shoot a standard Saiga and the MK 1919 semi auto. Both were good guns but I am still waiting for my converted Saiga to come in.

There is another company that has a multi shot bullpup shotgun advertised on Atlantic Firearms site I can't remember the name of it right now.

UTS-15

"Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

The UTS-15 has a spring assist to aid in the ejection of the spent shell. Whether you pump the gun easy or hard it ejects the same.

It also alternates the feeding tubes automatically where as the keltec requires you to flip a switch to get over to the second shell tube.

I haven't shot either one but the videos I've seen of the Keltec look clumsy. Shooters seem to stumble with it.

Video showing UTS-15 in action...

UTS-15 TACTICAL SHOTGUN - YouTube
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Tacman....it was. But those were tough giggles. It kicked my butt
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    LOL I can imagine it did.

Thanks SIG357 that is it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I concur on the recoil. It kicks like a mule!

It may not be the prettiest girl on the block, but the gigantic hole/group it leaves at 25-50 yards (farthest I could test on my range) with slugs is beautiful! haha
    I think reloading is a training issue that one can overcome. Someone would definitely make some money if they offered a replacement butt pad that had more coushin for the pushin!

VIP Member
    This is kind of off topic but every time I see an add for the KSG it makes me laugh. Kel-Tec has that milk toast, wimpy looking kid all dressed up like an operator holding their fancy whiz bang shotgun. It cracks me up, that shotgun would probably hurt that little guy. : )

Links