Picked up my Marlin 336W

Picked up my Marlin 336W

This is a discussion on Picked up my Marlin 336W within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was finally able to pick up my Marlin 336W on Friday. Had a busy weekend so wasn't able to post, but here it is. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Picked up my Marlin 336W

Picked up my Marlin 336W

I was finally able to pick up my Marlin 336W on Friday. Had a busy weekend so wasn't able to post, but here it is. I like it. Love the lever action and have learned a lot about it from posts and info on the net. Think it will be used a lot, even though I do not hunt. It and 3 boxes of ammo (2 Federal one Hornady leverevolution) for $371.41 out the door. Pretty happy with that. Can not wait to shoot it. It felt heavy at first, and I am sure schlepping it through the woods for a few hours would make it seem even heavier, but it feels solid. Came with the strap. Can't wait to get out and shoot it!

Thanks for all the help to those that commented on other posts. Now looking into a scope and see through rings to be able to use the iron sights as well. Sorry one pic is vertical and the last one upside down. The wood seems somewhat odd to me. I think it is birch not Walnut as many have said. I know this is not some amazing piece of art, but am interested to see how the checkering holds up. Hoping that a little sweat on it will darken it up a bit and give it some more character!

IMAG0581.jpgIMAG0586.jpgIMAG0580.jpgIMAG0585.jpgIMAG0582.jpg

In the second picture, that button behind the trigger, is this a normal feature? In working the action if it is not all the way up snug it will not allow the trigger to engage. Never noticed this on others but have not held a brand new lever action either. Any info would be great.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; August 27th, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    kerberos likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    I don't know if you have ammo restrictions there but here is a good price on some range ammo (I have used Privi for hunting but IME it doesn't have constant expansion). And that pin is a safety feature and normal on Marlins for about 30 years (I think)
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Congrats on the best woods gun around...IMHO
    I have the same in stainless...I've bought and sold several down through the years, and always regretted selling them.
    My last one (stainless) will be handed down to my grandson...he doesn't know it yet.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks,

Love the feel to it and the balance seems great for as you say Ret, a woods gun. Interested to see this 30-30 round in action. Shoot my sks and understand that there are some similar characteristics. Love the lever action but think I will spend a few nights "working the action" and yes I mean in regards to the gun, to smooth it out a bit. Seems rough, but what I would expect for a new gun of this style.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If I recall correctly, my '70s Glenfield (economy version of the Marlin) had that same thing on the lever. I paid $199 for the rifle with 4X scope NIB. Great item, but sold it to upgrade to a Rem. 700 .30-06 for hunting extended ranges out west.

Mine was quite capable of rapid fire due to that "extra" weight and smooth action. I think yours will serve you well.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    My first hunting rifle (which I still have of course) was a 336 and I've made it a point to always have one around.
    I've since retired the first one, now a rememberence of my Dad, but there's another in the collection to fill the void.

Congrats on an outstanding lever gun BigJon! Happy shooting :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

The 336W is indeed stocked with birch, and it's pressed checkering but it works well enough. The trigger disconnector is a standard feature, and has been for quite some time.

For sights, you might consider a receiver (peep) sight, which is kind of a classic on a lever gun. Williams, Lyman and Skinner all made good units, some of which work with the stock front sight. Just another option.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

BigJohn, congrads! They are excellent rifles!

Take this or leave it, just my opinion. If I were you, I would not get see-thru rings. They are a major pet peeve of mine, and I have made it a mission in life to keep people from making this mistake.

The reason is, that it raises the scope so high, that you will lose proper " cheek weld" with the stock when needing the scope. It is not good at all for getting the best from a rifle.

Furthermore, if you put a scope on it, it should be a compact with a low fixed magnification. You can then shoot both far and near, and, the scope won't make the rifle top heavy and unwieldy.

Proper cheek to stock fit is a basic fundemental of rifle marksmanship and you don't want to do anything to mess with that. JMO.
    gasmitty and Bohunter like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I had thought about that Glockman. The ones I saw were oval, but still seemed to put the sight picture so high that that would be a concern. So in your opinion, something like a 30 - 4X?
    BigJon

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I had thought about that Glockman. The ones I saw were oval, but still seemed to put the sight picture so high that that would be a concern. So in your opinion, something like a 30 - 4X?
    Yes sir. Burris makes a dandy little compact 4x that has been a major part of my little 16 inch barreled Marlin 44. Heres my set up and why.

With a good scope, you can get the most from a rifle. After all, thats why you choose one for certain applications over a handgun; the increased accuracy at longer ranges, right?
    So, what I did is order a Lyman Aperture sight, which the Marlin reciever should be ready for with no drilling. Mount it and sight it in, and your factory irons in also. Next, mount a scope, and sight it in. The aperture sight will have to be slid out of the slot that holds it on for this. Now, your scope is your primary, but if something did happen to it, take it off, and slide on your aperture sight, which will retain its zero. And IF, something happened to that sight, you still have the factory leaf sight. You will have a back up to a back up. Dont get any slicker than that!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Beautiful rifle! I love my 336W.

Granted, I bought it for pig hunting, rather than SD/HD, but it's a fine gun. I've got a 3-9x50mm Nikon on mine for hunting in low-light conditions, and it's been great on pigs. I'm a BIG believer in the LeveRevolution ammo, as it seems to take the .30-30 to a new level of performance. I've never had a hog take more than two steps after a hit from one, and I personally believe it'd be a great SD round as well.

Congrats on a great gun!

Regards,
    Jim

You won't ever sell it. Good buy ... now, just enjoy it. Remember to evaluate what's behind your target when you shoot it, it will travel, and a 30-30 will go right thru many things.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

BigJohn, here is my little 16 inch 44 with Lyman peep in place.

Here is it with compact scope. Revolver in pic for size reference.

Here is slot that Lyman peep fits in when scope is removed.

Here is the Lyman sight. It slides right into place and locks in. Notice the screw to the left on bottom. You adjust this to touch the base when sighted in. When you reinstall it, it stopps right on the correct setting.

Sorry about crappy pics. I took them quickly with the Iphone to give you an idea.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Hey BigJohn10125...

How's the 336 doing???

I've been wanting one lately, and have saved the funds necessary...

Read on a few other forums of QC issues since Remington bought out Marlin and closed the Conn. plant.

I've been considering searching out a pre '08 model at the local pawn shops; no luck yet...

All beaters.

Anyone else lend any creedence to this, or is it just rumor gone wild?

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

I still have not had the chance to fire it. I am a horrible gun owner. I have been so busy with work that I have not gotten out to the range. I really like it still! The deal that Bass pro had was what got me interested in it. I have some weekend days off coming up and am actually going to have a little time next week. I am going to make a promise to myself that I will go out and shoot it!

Glockman that is a great setup. I really like the peep sight and the idea of a back up to a back up. Looking forward to what I can do with the iron sights and then add each piece and see what a difference it makes. Going to have to see how far I can push it once I get the scope on it. I will start looking into those as soon as I actually take it out and shoot it.

Kerberos. It seems to functions fine by my standards. The wood is birch and not walnut as in some of the other models. If you look close at the pics I originally posted the cutting seems thin, but I am also comparing this to others that I have seen that are worn and may have some deeper color due to the use (sweat, oil etc). One thing that did happen was I was working the action and noticed that the screw on the right side of the receiver started to unscrew itself. Need to see what this screw does before I lock tite it!
    BigJon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links