"Zombie Hunter" AR Build

This is a discussion on "Zombie Hunter" AR Build within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My first build, and I'm pretty doggone proud of it. It's basically just a range toy, and won't see much use outside of that, but ...

Thread: "Zombie Hunter" AR Build

"Zombie Hunter" AR Build

My first build, and I'm pretty doggone proud of it. It's basically just a range toy, and won't see much use outside of that, but hey, do I need a reason? I still need to put a good scope on it and I'll probably upgrade the stock and put a quad rail on it eventually, but for now it's good enough to put some rounds through.

I do have one minor issue that I'd appreciate some input on, though. I only got to put two magazines through it and it ran great with PMC, but short stroked every round with Tula. I've been running this Tula in my M&P Sport without issue, so I suspect it's the rifle length gas system that's to blame. Would a lighter buffer help clear this up?

Anyway, here's the pics:

A close up of the receivers before the barrel went on (sorry it's blurry. Cellphone pics. )

Here she is all put together

2. Remove Ads

The rifle length gas system and carbine reciever extension can be finicky. I'd run. Vltor a5 or rifle receiver extension on that one. I'll post more tomorrow.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Here's my little zombie killer, a Kel-Tec PLR-16 I turned into a SBR last year. Also, if I run out of ammo I can still stick 'em if things get up close and personal.

Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Now you just need the Zombie/Biohazard EoTech and you'll be all set.

What buffer are you running in it now? It'll probably run fine with 5.56 if it ran well with PMC.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Many people have issues with Tula, many AR's do not like steel cased ammo. The consensus, if there is such a think in the Ar community, is negative on Tula. Not worth the minimal savings. I would leave the rifle alone and just shoot different ammo.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I agree on the Tula. I've found the closer I stay to 193 or 855 for training ammo, the less issues I have.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Now you just need the Zombie/Biohazard EoTech and you'll be all set.

What buffer are you running in it now? It'll probably run fine with 5.56 if it ran well with PMC.
    It's the buffer that came with the DPMS AP4 stock assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Many people have issues with Tula, many AR's do not like steel cased ammo. The consensus, if there is such a think in the Ar community, is negative on Tula. Not worth the minimal savings. I would leave the rifle alone and just shoot different ammo.
    This is kind of where I'm at right now. I have about 800 rounds of the stuff, but it does run great in my M&P, so it's not like I can't use it. It also tears the finish off the brass deflector faster. On a gun this nice, I think I'm probably just going to stick with PMC. I only got to fire a couple magazines last night, so I'm going to take it out for some more "in-depth" testing today. Range report will follow.

I managed to put 90 rounds of PMC through it this morning. Flawless. The trigger is AMAZING! I can't believe how nice this build turned out. A little low and right at 200 yards with iron sights, but it walked right in. It makes it all that much more fun to shoot knowing that I built it myself.

After today, I'm thinking about making it my prairie dog gun. With that sweet trigger and a good high-powered scope I could be popping prairie dogs well out past the 300 yards I've been shooting with my M&P.

Links