Range Report-Daniel Defense M4V7 LW

This is a discussion on Range Report-Daniel Defense M4V7 LW within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally got to the range today to shoot my new toy. The rifle is the lightweight barrel version of the DDM4V7. I am running a ...

Thread: Range Report-Daniel Defense M4V7 LW

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Range Report-Daniel Defense M4V7 LW

Finally got to the range today to shoot my new toy. The rifle is the lightweight barrel version of the DDM4V7. I am running a Vortex Strikefire RDS with a Primary arms 3x magnifier. BUIS are Magpul Gen2. I did some rough zero in work in the back yard with a laser boresighter but I know it would take some range time to get it nailed down. While my preference would be to zero it in at 100yds, unfortunately, there are no close ranges over 25 yds (all indoor) in the area. Typical of indoor ranges, lighting can be somewhat dim, especially at the end of the range and mine is no different. With my astigmatism and wearing distance contacts, the red dot has a "bunch of grapes" look. Dialing down the brightness helps with that phenomenon. The range also does not have any benches, just standard pistol lanes with the "shelf" across the lane. I have a grippod foregrip that I place on the shelf and then kind of hunch over to shoot. Not optimal, but it beats trying to zero in a sight from a standing position.

Initial rounds were done without the magnifier because in low light with my contacts it is pretty dim. My boresight work had a few inches down and left, and using small adjustments walked my shots toward center. After the last small adjustment I was way right and high. I thought I had evidently over adjusted, backed it off and no change. What the heck I was grumbling when I noticed the sight mount had come loose. Once tightened back in the game. However, it kept loosening up. Its a Primary Arms cantilever mount and I never had this issue on my Bushmaster. I kept a close check on it and was good the rest of the trip. I will be calling PA to see what they suggest. I put 120 rounds downrange this session.

Here's the final results:
    photo.jpg

Not too bad for an old guy with bad eyes!

Overall, the rifle exceeded my expectations. It is very light yet feels solid, no wobble or looseness. The Magpul MOE stock is solid without rattle and the upper and lower mate together very well, doesn't need an Accuwedge like the Bushmaster. I really like the "slick" hand guard, it fits my hand better than a railed system. It does get warm, however, I will probably wear a lightweight glove in the future when I shoot. It is also more accurate than my Bushy was with the same optic set up. There really is no comparison.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

You will really enjoy it when you get to a range to stretch it's legs.

My RDS is a Halleys Comet (same eye issues). Adjust your brightness to the lowest level you can still see.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Called PA, here is a shocker, they suggested blue Loctite. Boy, would have never come up with that one...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

There's a thread locker called VibraTite and it's red. I've had good luck using that on screws I remove on occassion and I don't need to reapply it. You don't have to break it loose either when you remove the screw.

Optic mounts that use a screw like yours tend to work themselves loose. They feel tight by the hand, but unless you torque it down hard with a wrench, it'll likely come loose. Happens with my Aimpoint magnifier twist mounts as well if I don't use a wrench. It's happened on three of them that I have owned.

Glad you like the rifle. If you have the MFR tubular rail from Daniel Defense on your rifle, that's a great set up. I Maine soon there will be some sort of thin side covers that will keep it from getting too hot.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links