Shotgun Suggestion

This is a discussion on Shotgun Suggestion within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't been hunting since I was a teenager (20 years ago), but plan to resume with my brother-in-law when the season starts in November. ...

Thread: Shotgun Suggestion

Shotgun Suggestion

I haven't been hunting since I was a teenager (20 years ago), but plan to resume with my brother-in-law when the season starts in November.

So, I'm in the market for a new shotgun. Can I get a good 12-guage in the $250 - 400 range? If so, what are your suggestions?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

2. Remove Ads

It would depend on what your hunting. Give a little more info.
    Last edited by sgtD; September 25th, 2006 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Again depends what your hunting but a remington 870 or mossburg can be found in that range

Lead Moderator
    Both good guns. Easy to find barrels /accesories for either gun too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I agree, with the previous posts. Though I shudder at the thought, If I had only one gun to meet all of my hunting and shooting needs , it would be my Mossberg pump. It is camo, and I have a 28" ported vent rib barrel with screw in chokes, (good for everything from ducks to upland game to clays) and also a matching camo 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights for the bigger critters. The 24" barrel is also relatively easy to move with and handle as a Home Defense weapon.

I bought it on gunbroker.com, in like new condition for $175.00. I have owned many mossbergs and my dad has had them for years and I have NEVER seen one fail to function. That must be why the Corps used them for so many years.

One warning though. Make sure it has a solid stock. For a while a couple of years ago Mossberg used some synthetic stocks that were hollow. Whether or not they are durable I don't know, but the problem is that the stock has no weight, and balance is crucial in a shotgun. Mossbergs are usually balanced well, but that stock made it completely impossible to swing smoothly because with no weight in the rear it was barrel heavy. Oh yeah, make sure if you buy one used that is a newer model with choke tubes. These are rated for steel shot, I don't know how you could tell if an older one (before choke tubes) would be rated for steel or not.

Good luck hunting whatever it is your hunting.
    Last edited by sgtD; September 25th, 2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Another typo

We will primarily hunt pheasant.

Thanks for your suggestions
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

For pheasant , I'm sure many will disagree, But i like a 20 gauge

I used a Remington Wingmaster for plenty years till my last shoulder injury

I do all my big hunting with a 20 gauge .. course i don't hunt duck or geese

Bud White - I don't think you are alone in your opinion about the 20 guage....The 12 and 20 gauge are the clear favorite for pheasant

Since I made my first post, I did some research on the web and the Remington 870 seems to be the most popular suggestion. Just to get an idea on price, I went to Bud's Gun Shop website and their 870 prices ranged from approx. $250 - 300. I will go check some out at a couple of locally-owned gun stores and Cabelas.

But, I'm still seeking suggestions beyond the Rem. 870.
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I'm sure many will disagree, But i like a 20 gauge
    Ok Bud, I'll disagree. For released birds or if your a crack shot 20ga is fine, but I have shot wild pheasants in North Dakota and hit them hard with 12ga high brass #5's, watched them fall like a rock to the ground and land with a thud, only to pop up and take off running like a road runner. Thank god for good dogs. Then again, I have seen some people make clean kills with a .410. I just prefer having more shot for pheasants.

One more thing regarding the steel shot issue in my previous post. Some think that steel shot is not an issue unless you hunt waterfowl, but some states including South Dakota and I think Kansas and some others require steel or other expensive non-toxic shot for upland game as well. Something to keep in mind when buying.

This will end my dicussion on the subject, as when it comes to upland game I am an admitted side by side snob, and don't think my views on that would be of much use to Jayhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Ok Bud, I'll disagree. For released birds or if your a crack shot 20ga is fine, but I have shot wild pheasants in North Dakota and hit them hard with 12ga high brass #5's, watched them fall like a rock to the ground and land with a thud, only to pop up and take off running like a road runner. Thank god for good dogs. Then again, I have seen some people make clean kills with a .410. I just prefer having more shot for pheasants.

One more thing regarding the steel shot issue in my previous post. Some think that steel shot is not an issue unless you hunt waterfowl, but some states including South Dakota and I think Kansas and some others require steel or other expensive non-toxic shot for upland game as well. Something to keep in mind when buying.

This will end my dicussion on the subject, as when it comes to upland game I am an admitted side by side snob, and don't think my views on that would be of much use to Jayhawk.
    Most of the guys i hunt with like the 12 too i understand but i figure 7/8ths shot is 7/8ths shot ..

Then again the birds in different areas can be different where a 20 is enough here why you hunt it might not be ..

I also tell everyone its what you feel confident with and like the best ..

course ya find a 12 870 for say 200 and a 20 for 300 buy the 12

Links