Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses? - Page 2

Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses?

This is a discussion on Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 I think my Mossy 500 is tough to beat. I have the riot barrel for home defense, a rifled barrel with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses?

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I think my Mossy 500 is tough to beat. I have the riot barrel for home defense, a rifled barrel with scope mount for deer hunting ( All I was allowed back in my old stomping grounds) and a twenty eight inch barrel with screw in choke tubes. I can use lead I can use steel I can use anything twelve guage three inches or under.
    Swapping the barrel is about a thirty second job. It is basically a do everything gun.
    I agree with this, except I have this same set up in the 870 platform. 18 1/2 in barrel for personal defense, the 28" barrel with different chokes. Can take small game and fowl. Also have a slug barrel for taking big game, and you can buy ammo for it anywhere. All around firearm that I wouldn't go without. If I had to choose just one long gun, it would be my 870!
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. It's really good for penetrating heavy steel/alloy targets.
    You might want to lose that one in a boating accident before the government gets wind of it.

my favorite long gun is by far my browning bps. excellent craftsmanship, bottom eject, beautiful finish and engraving and all for around 600. the 30" barrel certainly isnt the best for home defense, but hey thats what the 870 tac's for :)). my favorite rifle hands down is my winchester 94 in 30-30. its my truck gun and will do everything from deer to a longer range SD situation. plus lever actions make you feel like youre wyatt earp or something
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy...

M&P 45c, S&W 642, Browning BPS

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I think my Mossy 500 is tough to beat. I have the riot barrel for home defense, a rifled barrel with scope mount for deer hunting ( All I was allowed back in my old stomping grounds) and a twenty eight inch barrel with screw in choke tubes. I can use lead I can use steel I can use anything twelve guage three inches or under.
    Swapping the barrel is about a thirty second job. It is basically a do everything gun.
    Same here except I don't hunt with mine. I could pop on a 28 with full choke, slide in a few double-aught bucks and bag a bear! But I don't have the patience to hunt. The 18.5" on mine is also rifled and I've blown a couple boxes of slugs out the poopchute ... now that's fun! If I lost my 500 I'd buy another one the next day.

Well just in terms of sheer use, my Browning Auto-5 would have to beat out my only other shotgun, which is my Mossberg 500. The Mossberg is a home defense shotgun, so I'm happy it has seen less use than the A5, which has taken several trips along the sporting clays range there....

As far as favorite rifle, I guess that depends on the day. I have a hard time just picking one, but I really have a soft spot for my M44 Mosin-Nagant rifle. All practicality aside, that thing is just awesome. The practical side of me favors either my Colt 6920 or my Springfield M1A I suppose. I still love that M44 though...
    tricolordad likes this.

Hard to beat a pump shotgun for versatility vs cost. Will do everything a rifle can do out to 100 + yards (with slugs) while still being able to take down small game and birds in flight. And they are loads more fun, too. Rifle shooting is OK...but trap shooting is waaay more fun IMHO.

So, my fav has to be my Rem 870 pump. 20 inch barrel at home, 28 inch at the trap field.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Well just in terms of sheer use, my Browning Auto-5 would have to beat out my only other shotgun, which is my Mossberg 500. The Mossberg is a home defense shotgun, so I'm happy it has seen less use than the A5, which has taken several trips along the sporting clays range there....

As far as favorite rifle, I guess that depends on the day. I have a hard time just picking one, but I really have a soft spot for my M44 Mosin-Nagant rifle. All practicality aside, that thing is just awesome. The practical side of me favors either my Colt 6920 or my Springfield M1A I suppose. I still love that M44 though...
    There isnt a sane man alive who could possibly own a Mosin and not love it to death.
    peckman28 likes this.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Marlin 30/30. Talkes down medium game, easy to use, accurate, reliable, ammo is everywhere and inexpensive, easy to clean, etc... Nothing fancy, but it works every time.
    Oh my God, say it ain't so! You can't use 152+ year old technology, you gotta have something more modern man! No, wait, that's what the internet commando's say about the 1911, never mind.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Marlin 35 Remington!
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Favorite rifle, overall? Lever-action, for simplicity and reliability. Hard to beat a decent Marlin 1894 or Winchester carbine. The fact they also tend to avoid sending the anti's scurrying for the exit doors is a nice bonus. Have had a few Marlin .44mags (1894, 336).

Favorite shotgun? Have only owned a couple, the Rem 870 and 1170. Have handled and shot many others, including the Mossberg 590 and 930 series.

Dual use: Probably for me, the duallie would be a decent semi-auto shotgun ... for close-in hunting and defense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

My Marlin lever gun in .30-30 works every time, and I hit what ever I point at, and better when I aim it. I own several shotguns... I have two that I keep as go to guns. A stevens 311 double bbl, and an Ithica 37. Both 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Marlin 35 Remington!
    I think a .35 Remington done up in a Marlin lever-action rifle would be a real deer-killin' daddy! It's on a mental list of guns I'd grab if I was to sneak up on one for the right price. Would be great fun for handloading too.

Longtime favorites around here that see the most use for hunting are a 1953 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 topped with a plain ol' Leupold M8 6X scope and a 1941 Winchester Model 12 Skeet Grade with factory optional Cutts Compensator with choke tubes. For general purpose field use it just doesn't get any better than these two.

pistola and OD* like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    If I could only have one gun it would be a Mossberg 500 12ga. As for rifles to go with my shotgun, as much as I like my M1 carbines I'd have to go with my 1917 Remington .30-06. My model 70 winchester is in7mm Rem. mag and is not a good all around round.

If I could only have one rifle it would be my Winchester .22lr
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

"1917 Remington .30-06"

OOOooo...!!! I really like sporterized '17 Enfields. A good friend had one once. Was a tack driver with it's original barrel, only shortened 2 inches. When he became too old and blind to shoot any more I could have bought it. Should have done so.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I think a .35 Remington done up in a Marlin lever-action rifle would be a real deer-killin' daddy! It's on a mental list of guns I'd grab if I was to sneak up on one for the right price. Would be great fun for handloading too.
    I love mine, I took my first deer with it. Iron sights. They are not that expensive.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links