Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses?

This is a discussion on Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've noticed that so many of us are posting our rifles and shotguns in other threads, but they don't have a respective thread for themselves. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Whats your favorite rifle/shotgun? Dual purpose uses?

I've noticed that so many of us are posting our rifles and shotguns in other threads, but they don't have a respective thread for themselves. Now, all mine aren't going to be posted because I'm a bit paranoid and some are just fugly....but I believe that a good deer rifle/shotgun is also a good defensive rifle/shotgun and deserve the same honor that our handguns get. A few of mine also have a good story behind them. Share your stories and post pictures!

Marlin 30/30. Talkes down medium game, easy to use, accurate, reliable, ammo is everywhere and inexpensive, easy to clean, etc... Nothing fancy, but it works every time.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I think my Mossy 500 is tough to beat. I have the riot barrel for home defense, a rifled barrel with scope mount for deer hunting ( All I was allowed back in my old stomping grounds) and a twenty eight inch barrel with screw in choke tubes. I can use lead I can use steel I can use anything twelve guage three inches or under.
    Swapping the barrel is about a thirty second job. It is basically a do everything gun.
    tricolordad likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

165905_441086105936063_1671183513_n.jpg

My favorite rifle is my 1943 Izhvesk Mosin Nagant M91/30. It's my favorite gun, though I can't shoot it as much as I'd like. Usually, I keep it near me at night for defense since we have just as big a danger of a bear forcing the door as a meth head. When I bought it, the bore was completely FILLED with cosmoline, bolt liked to stick and the stock bled so much cosmo that it was a week before I got it reassembled and ready to rock. First time I fired it, I let it slap me but hit the soup can from about 40 yards.

Due to the cheap finish on it, I decided to modify the woodwork and covered it with an ACU tape for grip and protection from moisture. Added a weaver base and scout scope for distance shooting, and specifically, my favorite deer spot which has a 250m open stretch. Kicks like a horse, but it doesn't bother me since I've got a little more shoulder muscle than the average guy and am pretty used to it. I've had people tell me many times that it's too heavy and long to be an effective hunting and defensive weapon, but then they've also gaped at me shooting her one handed at the local range. My FIL was speechless when he was scouting for a good hunting spot and saw me running through a corn field with the rifle and 20 minutes later he turned around and headed home and found me lying next to my gut shot 240 lb. doe in the ditch. We traveled the distance to see how far it was, and excluding the turns it was about 3 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I think my Mossy 500 is tough to beat. I have the riot barrel for home defense, a rifled barrel with scope mount for deer hunting ( All I was allowed back in my old stomping grounds) and a twenty eight inch barrel with screw in choke tubes. I can use lead I can use steel I can use anything twelve guage three inches or under.
    Swapping the barrel is about a thirty second job. It is basically a do everything gun.
    I sold my mossy for a crib...which sucks because my kids preferred the bassinet and never used it.
    MidlifeinMI likes this.

My favorite would have to be my M&P Sport. It does a little bit of everything. Prairie dogs, deer, paper, whatever. I've got a 2-7x scope on it with a mini red dot on top of that. Best gun I've ever shot.
    tricolordad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    I've noticed that so many of us are posting our rifles and shotguns in other threads, but they don't have a respective thread for themselves. Now, all mine aren't going to be posted because I'm a bit paranoid and some are just fugly....but I believe that a good deer rifle/shotgun is also a good defensive rifle/shotgun and deserve the same honor that our handguns get. A few of mine also have a good story behind them. Share your stories and post pictures!
    Post pictures? Maybe I'm just as paranoid as you......what then?
    Hey.....the deer getter and the snake slayer still have a voice in self defense when it gets right down to it. It is what it is.

My PSA AR-15, hands down.
    tricolordad likes this.

My favorite would have to be the .30 cal M 1 carbine. I must admit that is because my dad loved them, collected them, and shot them. I have an original Winchester late war carbine in a repro folding paratrooper stock. It can hang on the coat rack under a coat, nice and short with a 15 rd magazine, and not even be noticeable. Nice home defense. I also love shooting targets and cans with it. Not to expensive to keep in ammo and doesn't kick much. My wife loves to shoot it off the deck behind our cabin. This year I will carry it deer hunting. I have mostly hunted flintlock for the past few years, but lately have been trying to take deer with different weapons. I am patient and fully aware that the deer better be close and it better be a good shot, so I am excited to see if this is possible. Until then, I usually carry it folded across my chest with the barrel pointed down. Easy to control while strolling through the brush and there in case a coyote should appear. Now if I only could get the gun to talk and tell its life story, that would be great. Maybe this November while up in the stand with nothing moving, it just might tell its tale . . .

I'm a sucker, I love carbines!
    bmcgilvray and tricolordad like this.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Marlin 30/30. Talkes down medium game, easy to use, accurate, reliable, ammo is everywhere and inexpensive, easy to clean, etc... Nothing fancy, but it works every time.
    I definitely agree with the Marlin 30/30... I have two that were passed down from my grandfather and they are unstoppable and just fun to shoot. Who doesn't feel like Rooster Cogburn or John Ford when shooting a lever action. It would be a great truck gun I'm sure.
    tricolordad likes this.
    MikeXD40

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Post pictures? Maybe I'm just as paranoid as you......what then?
    Hey.....the deer getter and the snake slayer still have a voice in self defense when it gets right down to it. It is what it is.
    Easy answer. You seem to be more paranoid than me...sooooo if I was THAT paranoid, I'd just refrain from even posting in this thread.
    OD* likes this.

For a "dual purpose" gun, the FNAR is a winner, IMO. Weighs a little over a pound more than an AR. It's got the handling and features (e.g. short, light, mag-fed semiauto) of a combat weapon, with the accuracy of a fine deer rifle and the power of the 7.62x51/.308. I'm lovin' it.

Regards,
    Jim
    tricolordad likes this.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    My favorite rifle of all time was a pump action .22 that my cousin left at my house when I was a teenager. I don't remember what brand it was but it was a lot of fun to shoot. The only purposes it had for me was squirrels & targets.
    tricolordad likes this.
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    I have a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range. It's really good for penetrating heavy steel/alloy targets.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post

Couldn't agree more. I appreciate a lot of my hardware, others are my "favorite", but the Mossberg 500 takes the cake for multi-purpose. Mine has the 18" home defender barrel (have the pistol grip, but don't use it) and the 28" smooth bore ribbed barrel with chokes. Takes all of 3 seconds to interchange barrels. Plus, for ~$350 FFL delivered including both barrels and pistol grip, you can't go wrong. The synthetic 'wood look alike' stock and pump grip look a little cheap, but that offers a very light weight package and something I don't mind dinging up. She's no Italian show piece. Though, since she is so light, she passes recoil directly to the shoulder.

46907.jpg
    tricolordad likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links