Ar sights, dust cover, forward assist suggestions.

This is a discussion on Ar sights, dust cover, forward assist suggestions. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been shopping for a budget ar to go to the range and have some fun with.narrowed it down to the dpms panther Oracle (629 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By IAm_Not_Lost

Thread: Ar sights, dust cover, forward assist suggestions.

I've been shopping for a budget ar to go to the range and have some fun with.narrowed it down to the dpms panther Oracle (629 on sale at cabelas) has dust cover and forward assist (do I need)? Has flat top and no sights, someone recommended get a reflex sight. FOR SOME ODD REASON, ON THE ORACLE THE GAS BLOCK IS LOW, SO A LOT OF FRONT AND REAR IRON SIGHTS DO NOT LINE UP EVENLY, ANYBODY KNOW ABOUT THIS??? Anybody know anything about this?

The other is the Smith and Wesson mp 15 sport. The cost is 729. No dust cover and forward assist.it has iron sights though. The rear sight folds down, front sight is an adjustable a2, DO I need a front folding to put a reflex sight on it???? I can not see me going to war in a desert or swamp, but in home defense or the shtf in saint louis, I want to be able to use this, so would I really need a dust cover????

What I'm getting at is how important is the dust cover and forward assist? What kind of sights would you choose between the iron sights and reflex sights or both? It's just for some plinking, and if ever needed home defense, maybe a coyote hunt, zombie takeover etc lol. I do have a glock 23 and Remington 870 already.

I am not looking to build one either guys, thanks but no thanks... does anyone have any experience with this?

I'd go with the M&P Sport over the DPMS any day. You can find it cheaper than $720. If they were always $720, I'd go with a complete Palmetto State Armory when they have their $700 deal. Actually, I'd go that route anyway, if you can swing the $75 over the DPMS, even if it's only for fun at the range.

I shoot a lot, regularly, in all types of conditions and I rarely need the forward assist, maybe a couple times in my life due to snow. But, in South Texas, I always use the dust cover as my guns get filthy just out for the day at a buddy's ranch. In western PA, I never really had that problem.

So, of the two, I'd go with the M&P. But, if I may, I'd recommend shopping around for a PSA like I mentioned earlier, and you'll find one around the $700 mark eventually. Maybe even this weekend as they have all kinds of sales. Hopefully someone will be along shortly with that info.

Good luck.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I believe Walmart is now stocking Windham Weaponry AR's for $799, and after watching Military Arm Channel's review of them it appears they are of good, if not very good quality. Maybe someone else can speak to whether or not they are good guns.

Edit: Point being they have all the "bells and whistles".
    Last edited by IAm_Not_Lost; August 31st, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
    Flatline74 likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

This is the deal I just went with and I believe Jon is referring to. It has the forward assist, dust cover, and chrome lined barrel. $699 and I received it in 4 days. Shipping was around $16:

Palmetto State Armory M4 Optic Ready AR-15 Rifle - Reg. Price $749.99 - Long Guns

This gun is awesome accurate you will not be dissappointed. I added the Magpul rear sight for $50.

Mine:

RKM
    Forward assists and dust covers really aren't that important in my opinion. I've never come across a time that I needed either. I do flip my dust cover shut when I keep the rifle in my safe. And I tap the forward assist after checking the chamber, as I tap the rear of the slide on a handgun when checking the chamber. But I still don't think they're a MUST for a plinking, or basic HD gun....However, I'd prefer to have them. I was considering picking up an M&P15 Sport, no optics, just a light and irons, as a super simple HD gun. We'll see. May still go for an LE6920

You do not need a folding front sight to run a reflex or red dot sight. These sights are designed so you shoot both eyes open. If you do this, your front sight will become a faint blur in the foreground of your sight picture. You won't even notice it if you use the optic correctly. Folding sights are nice, but fixed sights are stronger and take less time to flip up into position when needed..... because they're already flipped up.....because they can't flip down..... The only reason I still run a folding rear sight is because I use a 4x magnifier on occasion. Otherwise, I'd use a fixed rear as well.

The gas block rail being lower than the top rail never made sense to me. It's utterly pointless. May be good for a light mount, but not a front sight. I'd avoid "optics ready" rifles seeing as most of them come with that silly, useless railed gas block..... unless you're setting it up strictly for a designed marksmen type rifle.

I've got a PSA build. It is a 16" M4A1 profile with the FN USA barrel.

I thought I had front sight troubles when I got it, they dealt with it well enough, but it actually turned out to be their carry handle sight (which was a POS). I switched some stuff around, and it was pretty close from mechanical zero.

I'm about to pass the 1000 round mark with it, and I couldn't be happier with this rifle.

Forward assist and dust covers aren't that great. I recently finished up a build that had both, and I have yet to use the forward assist and I'm always forgetting to close the dust cover.

I also have the M&P Sport. One of the advantages of the Sport is the barrel. It's not chrome lined, which produces better accuracy (and boy is it accurate! I regularly shoot prairie dogs out past 300 yards with a 7x scope). It also has a 1/8 twist, which is great if you're like me. I had a heck of a time trying to decide whether I should get a 1/7 or a 1/9. The 1/8 will stabilize most bullets at decent ranges. Then you have the awesome price point, as well as the fact that it's a S&W.

All in all, go with the sport. Unless you want to build one, it's the best bang for your buck. If you're willing to build one, you can put together a decent rifle that is EXACTLY what you want for around $800. I spent $850 on mine, before the scope, and I wound up with a spare A2 upper and bolt carrier. Look around for a lightly used donor upper if you decide to go that route. I picked up a cheap one and reused everything but the bolt carrier and upper receiver.

I'll agree about the forward assist, but for me, I have to say the cover is important, as I imagine it would be for those in Arizona and other dry, dusty, sandy environments. A day at the ranch here and a black rifle is now sand colored for the layer on top of it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I'll agree about the forward assist, but for me, I have to say the cover is important, as I imagine it would be for those in Arizona and other dry, dusty, sandy environments. A day at the ranch here and a black rifle is now sand colored for the layer on top of it.
    We have our fair share of dust in MT. I've been out on some windy days that resulted in the gun being coated with dust. I always wipe down the outside of the gun, as well as the bolt carrier when I get done. Never had any issues.

Lead Moderator
    Depending on use the dust cover is quite handy. As for the low gas block , manufacturers do make a front to mount on the low gas block. I would suggest going PSA or S&W if possible as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    We have our fair share of dust in MT. I've been out on some windy days that resulted in the gun being coated with dust. I always wipe down the outside of the gun, as well as the bolt carrier when I get done. Never had any issues.
    Sorry about that, I should have been more clear. I've never had any serious failures due to this, it's just a precaution that I like to use.

I see a use for the dust cover but can't really envision a really good reason to use a forward bolt assist. Since my AR 15 has no forward bolt assist it's a moot point for me.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Links