Painting Rifles - How To

This is a discussion on Painting Rifles - How To within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would never be able to bring myself to paint my Ar-15, but I've always been curious how you've done this to your firearms (they ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Painting Rifles - How To

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I would never be able to bring myself to paint my Ar-15, but I've always been curious how you've done this to your firearms (they look good by the way). Thanks for sharing with us.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    You've done some really nice work on these! I've been seriously considering a job on the Bushy AR for coyotes. The notion of committing kind of keeps me on hold. Your pics have me thinking about it again. I don't know if I could ever do the Weatherby. Ouch.I found a website by The Coyote Man, or something like it. He used leaves and pine twigs for overspray and the effects were pretty nice.Thanks for the step by step. Really helpful.
    If you look at the Aimpoint M4s On my AR in the pic with the 700, you'll see grass was used on that. He did the complete rifle, but I only borrowed the Aimpoint.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Do the Aervoe and Rustoleum paints work on wood stocks? Need a primer coat maybe?

Michael
    If you look at the pic with the Benelli, the Draco AK has a wood grip and handguard. The grip was shiny, like it had a sealant, and the handguard was very porous as it was just raw wood. It took more paint on the handguard, but it took very well. The grip took well also, but will likely wear quicker due to the smooth surface.

The Henry Mare's Leg lever action was all a nice wood as well. It took without issue and has held up well, granted I rarely shoot it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Jon you are an artist and as much as I admire your work no way I could bring myself to try this with mine as I'm sure it would be a hot mess compared to yours. Thanks for sharing your work for the rest of us to admire!

Quote Originally Posted by Maceng101 View Post
    Jon you are an artist and as much as I admire your work no way I could bring myself to try this with mine as I'm sure it would be a hot mess compared to yours. Thanks for sharing your work for the rest of us to admire!
    Thanks man. About 9 months ago, I hadn't painted anything, but I wanted to. I finally decided to try it on some cheaper, less used rifles. After the first one, I kind of figured it out, plus all the emails back and forth with a couple members of other forums. Still, I couldn't bring myself to paint an AR, especially with the optics and lights. Hell, that 14.5" pictured has probably a little over 3 grand into it without the magnifier being factored in (well, normally. That's someone else's optic since both of my T1's were stolen). That was hard to do at first.

About a month ago I was doing my daily dry fire work with my rifle and figured I'd go outside an paint it. It worked. So, It's that initial spray. Once that's done, you just get to it. I still have two SCARs, two Barretts and another AR or two to paint.
    Christopher67 likes this.

I guess I accidentally deleted one of the pics from the opening post from my Flickr account. Since I can't edit the thread, I'll post it here.

Christopher67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    One question - How do you handle the holes/vents in the railed hand guards in respect to the barrel? Just have a bunch of soft circles on the barrel?
    It's such a fine most that it covers the entire barrel, at least through the RIS II sized holes and spacing. I never noticed until you posted that question.

VIP Member
    You can even improve 'older' firearms by doing this...........I took a Winchester 1894 that I was using as a truck gun, Parkerized it & put polymer stock/forend it & painted.

I used Krylon Fusion for Plastics (flat black) as the base layer. Then used the flat camo colors on top. Finally used a cut up laundry bag to get the snake skin look. Used flat clear paint on top to provide a little protection.

Total time 2 hours!
    Attached Images
    atctimmy and Christopher67 like this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Figured I'd whore this out over here too

Eric357 and Christopher67 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Figured I'd whore this out over here too
    Delaware, Ohio state range?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Delaware, Ohio state range?
    Yes sir, you up there often?
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Yes sir, you up there often?
    I was there a lot more when I was in school. But every now and then I make it up that way. The over-head there is very unique.

I am now a member at CCFSA, beats any of the state ranges. It's private, and most of the members are good people. Also, they have more ranges, and a lot of things not allowed at state ranges, including draws, moving while shooting, shooting from cover, ect... is allowed, as long as it's done safely.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I was there a lot more when I was in school. But every now and then I make it up that way. The over-head there is very unique.

I am now a member at CCFSA, beats any of the state ranges. It's private, and most of the members are good people. Also, they have more ranges, and a lot of things not allowed at state ranges, including draws, moving while shooting, shooting from cover, ect... is allowed, as long as it's done safely.
    Rock on, for $40 a year you can't beat DE range.

Do you live in Columbus and make that drive or are you further south now?

Matt, I'd throw a few accents on there that are very dark brown. I'd add them around the light accents. In the pic of you shooting, you can see all the colors start to blend into one. The dark brown will stop that from happening. It looks great now, it would just be more effective with some dark accents. Just sayin', not that it really matters!

I hear ya. Current brown accents are Highland...I'll get some Earth Brown ordered

ETA: SOPMOD is on the way for the SBR, so I'll have somethin else to paint too

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links