Painting Rifles - How To

This is a discussion on Painting Rifles - How To within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rock and Glock I ran across this photo after reading this thread. It is a great example of the points made regarding ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Painting Rifles - How To

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I ran across this photo after reading this thread. It is a great example of the points made regarding the "Why". Also notice the boots, hands and the face, although the black rifle shows the worst.

Exactly. This part below is no exaggeration. The difference that breaking up the lines can do is amazing.

Not sure what happened to my font here, but it was different when I copied and pasted!

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It got to a point where a specific unit ordered multicam Safariland holsters as they were getting shot in the belt area from a couple hundreds yards away +. It's an intersting report.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Jon, there is a little box above the reply window that has a "Size" for the size (you want #1), and another box that says "Font" (Arial is default).

If you highlight your entire post then select those, these things won't happen.

Still waiting for your reply to PM on timeline for Dec.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Yeah, why didn't you paint the light or optics?
    Been lazy I guess...we are getting ready for the baby, getting wife new car (crossover...bleh), and stuff is just wild all around. Haven't had the time. The Aimpoint C3 is OK by me, since it has the coyote tan cover but yea the 3x and light definitely need some paint. Or I might not paint the light...might have a tan mini scout soon

ETA: here's a 'look-at-me' pic from a while ago with a crappy paint job. I repent for my sins!

Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

That's a C3? I assumed it was an M3. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. How does it compare?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Jon, there is a little box above the reply window that has a "Size" for the size (you want #1), and another box that says "Font" (Arial is default).

If you highlight your entire post then select those, these things won't happen.

Still waiting for your reply to PM on timeline for Dec.
    I did that to fix it as it happened on it's own after I copied some text, but I thought default was something that started with a "T". Thanks.

I'll PM you today, I swear. You know, you do have my number!

That's a C3? I assumed it was an M3. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. How does it compare?
    I don't notice much difference at all when compared to a M2/M3 at all, save the 2moa dot. The glass is much clearer than the 'greenish' tinge my M2 had but that may be because the M2 was old as dirt. I believe submersion level is a big difference, but I was OK with sacrificing that. Pretty happy with it.

And thanks by the way for the exposure to the 3x while I was in TX, that was one of the reasons I went ahead and got one.

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Been lazy I guess...we are getting ready for the baby, getting wife new car (crossover...bleh), and stuff is just wild all around. Haven't had the time. The Aimpoint C3 is OK by me, since it has the coyote tan cover but yea the 3x and light definitely need some paint. Or I might not paint the light...might have a tan mini scout soon

ETA: here's a 'look-at-me' pic from a while ago with a crappy paint job. I repent for my sins!

I actually think that is pretty good if you are in a green belt area.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Painting Rifles - How To

Thanks, I was pretty happy with it at the time. It blends very well with dead leaves and stuff in the fall.

The rustoleum brown is more purple, and that pissed me off. It was shiny too, especially when I saw it next to Jon's aervoe'd 14.5"

Anybody punch a hole in a can of spray paint so they can use the paint in their airbrush?

I would presume that the propellant is just that, and not required for any chemical reaction in the paint.

If so, how do you store it?

ETA - Never mind. Found it. It's called "Decanting". Now to go by some small glass jars.

FYI - Punching a hole in the can = Bad Plan.
    Last edited by Sticks; December 10th, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

Hogue overmolded stock

Is there any special prep to get the paint to adhere to the Hogue over molded stocks ? I'm seriously considering trying this on my Rem 700 tactical.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Painted this for a friend a month or two ago. Same guy that owns the 700 from my first post.

Eric357 likes this.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

Thanks Jon for starting this thread.

I had some SF guys come to class with M4's they had painted with rattle cans. They looked like crap but the camo was effective (just NOT anywhere as good looking as your work).

So, after that, and then finding this thread I am totally over the baked on coatings at this point.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

atctimmy and Eric357 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    how about a necro? i notice in Munch's last pic there his suppressor is not painted.
    Have you guys ever considered any issues with heat? for example, would putting a coat of high temp stove black on a suppressor first, and then regular paint over it help the heat?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

As long as it's not black I don't feel a strong need to paint it. My SF cans have all faded from FDE to brown, tan, etc with great / use. I think they use creakote.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links