Guns of Walmart

This is a discussion on Guns of Walmart within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in my local Walmart today and in the sporting goods department the have a huge selection of AR type rifles. They had Colt, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Guns of Walmart

Guns of Walmart

I was in my local Walmart today and in the sporting goods department the have a huge selection of AR type rifles. They had Colt, Sigs, DPMS, S&W'S... The prices were lower than several of the larger local gun shops. They had a Sig M400 for $890, several hundred less than the local gun store (not wanting to debate the evil WM vs the mom and pop here please). I was at the largest local shop, Shoot Straight, and asked about the price difference. They claimed it is not he same gun. I told them it was an M400 with no different markings than the one in their store. The clerk told me "yes on the outside, but it is different on the inside" with lower quality parts. Now I do recall that Beretta made a shotgun, the 391 vs 390, for Walmart, but this is a Sig M400 not a 401 or something like that.
    What is the deal here? The M&P looked identical to everyone I have ever seen as did the Colt. Are these the same guns or is the clerk correct that they are lessor quality? I have a hard time believing that a M400 with no special markings is not the same as the M400 in the gun shop. How would you ever be able to tell the difference with a resale?

2. Remove Ads

One of the WalMarts near me has a simillar selection, it made me happy. The local WalMart sells .50 cans full of .223. Dont remember the count or how much it cost but it seemed reasonable.

Speaking of the Sig AR, I know its WalMart but the one they sell near me is decked out with MagPull MOE furniture and was in the $900 range. Seemed kind of cheap for a Sig but I dont know anything about their rifles. Im assuming we might be talking about the same one. Ive heard of WalMarts namebrand electronics not being the exact same as if you bought them elsewhere, could it be the same deal here?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I doubt Sig is making a special "cheap" version for Walmart. They're a quality brand and don't want to put out junk. I'd venture to say that Walmart gets better pricing because they buy in much larger quantities. Those savings are then passed on to you.
    hogdaddy likes this.

VIP Member
    Being as large as Wal-Mart is they will go to a manufacture and offer to buy a product with a much smaller markup then buy several trucks of that product. They then take the products to a distribution center where it is warehoused before being sent to the individual stores. The mom and pop stores cannot afford to buy in such quantities and have to rely on getting merchandise from wholesalers or distributors who each add their own markup.
    hogdaddy and ericb327 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It sucks to pass up that kinda savings but I think I would rather put something on layaway at my LGS and just be patient.
    WvHiker likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

walmart sells lots of things at cost, knowing well you will buy other things while you are there. i read an article some where about this. in fact they sell some things below cost. when you deal in this much volume you can afford to take a hit in one department knowing across the board profits will be up. i doubt the internals are different on that gun.

so...if you want to buy it, buy it. you will not be contributing to the problem unless you pick up your groceries and some "bargain" dvd's while you are there. buy the one item, and leave. you'd actually be hurting them.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I watched an MSNBC special on WalMart once. Not that it took some rediculous media outlet for me to figure it out but I like how they admitted to putting common items like milk at the back of the store, to get people to see what they dont need.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

yup. shopping at walmart isn't inherently evil as long as you work the system. the only thing i buy there is ammo. and i doubt they make a profit on it.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

If the firearm doesn't have a different model number, I would be willing to bet it is the same rifle. I doubt a manufacturer would cheap up the internals and list it as the same firearm model. This would cause quality control conflicts that would be difficult to track.

I have no issue with Wal-Mart. When you are a new family starting out, filling an apartment or home, supporting new kids, Wal-Mart makes life easier by making common goods more affordable. I hear a lot of people bash other people for supporting Wal-Mart, when they themselves use the internet to bust prices of local "mom & pop" stores.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Your local store buys lots of things in small quantities from a distributor that needs to make money, too. Walmart buys a small selection in huge quantities, likely directly from the manufacturers. Plus, why wouldn't the clerk try and slam their direct competition?

Guns and ammo are the only things I buy at Walmart, but even then the local guys have more variety for a similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    I watched an MSNBC special on WalMart once. Not that it took some rediculous media outlet for me to figure it out but I like how they admitted to putting common items like milk at the back of the store, to get people to see what they dont need.
    Every grocery store does that...haven't you noticed how they spread out the "staples" to make you walk around the entire store...it's standard marketing.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

I have to agree with you discoboxer. I would much rather support mom and pops businesses but WalMart is much more convinent in the ways you mention. Until you get to checkout and dispite the hundred or so employess roaming aimlessly theres only two registers open with lines to Timbuktu. And of course none of thoes roamers are ever in their respective department if you have a question.
    -Abraham Lincoln

-Agent K

There's not many Wally World stores selling guns anymore. Use to have better prices that Academy
    A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hand.
    SENECA the younger
    Roman stoic philosopher
    4 B.C. - 65 A.D.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbullgator View Post
    I was in my local Walmart today and in the sporting goods department the have a huge selection of AR type rifles. They had Colt, Sigs, DPMS, S&W'S... The prices were lower than several of the larger local gun shops. They had a Sig M400 for $890, several hundred less than the local gun store (not wanting to debate the evil WM vs the mom and pop here please). I was at the largest local shop, Shoot Straight, and asked about the price difference. They claimed it is not he same gun. I told them it was an M400 with no different markings than the one in their store. The clerk told me "yes on the outside, but it is different on the inside" with lower quality parts. Now I do recall that Beretta made a shotgun, the 391 vs 390, for Walmart, but this is a Sig M400 not a 401 or something like that.
    What is the deal here? The M&P looked identical to everyone I have ever seen as did the Colt. Are these the same guns or is the clerk correct that they are lessor quality? I have a hard time believing that a M400 with no special markings is not the same as the M400 in the gun shop. How would you ever be able to tell the difference with a resale?
    The salesman is a liar. His JOB is to get you to buy products from his store.

It's been a while since I've seen a Walmart that sold guns.. sucks, I could of saved about $200 buying my M400 there. To me, that's a significant saving. I support the free and open market and will buy things for as cheap as I possibly can, sorry mom and pop shops. The guy at the LGS was just trying to get you to not by from the big, ever so evil Walmart he probably shops at himself.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links