Building The Short Barreled Shotgun

This is a discussion on Building The Short Barreled Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; All Credit Given To Banshee of Shotgun World. Nobody could put all of the info together better than he did...so I did a Copy & ...

Thread: Building The Short Barreled Shotgun

Administrator

Post Building The Short Barreled Shotgun

All Credit Given To Banshee of Shotgun World.
    Nobody could put all of the info together better than he did...so I did a Copy & Paste with all credit given to him.

I have had several forum members ask me "How do I legally build a SBS?" It is not as hard as a lot of people think it is. The part that is the most aggravating is the CLEO signature and the finger printing.

So, here we go..

First and foremost, you must ensure that SBS's are lawful in your state of residence. After that, and assuming SBS's are lawful in your state, you must:

- Complete and sign 2 copies of ATF Form 5320.1 (Form 1 - Application to Make and Register a Firearm)
    - Attach 1 passport-style photos to each Form 1 (2 photos total)
    - Obtain the original signature (certification) of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) in your area on each Form 1. The CLEO may be the Chief of Police of your town, the Sheriff of your county or a District Attorney, among others. Depending on where you live and who you know this may be easy to obtain, or it may be virtually impossible.
    - Complete and sign 1 copy of ATF Form 5330.20 "Certificate of Compliance"
    - Include 2 sets of your fingerprints on ATF FD-258 fingerprint cards.
    - Send all forms (with attached photos) and fingerprint cards, along with a $200 check (or money order) for payment of the Making Tax, to the address on the form. I recommend Registered Mail for this.
    - Wait
    - Wait
    - Wait some more (Actually it's not forever ... it just feels that way when it's your first time)
    - In approximately 30-180 days, ATF will return 1 original approved Form to you.

After ATF returns the approved form you may lawfully assemble or "make" your SBS. Please note that you cannot lawfully make the SBS until after ATF has approved your application, neither should you possess the parts to complete the SBS until you have received the approved form. AS soon as you get the form back, make several GOOD copies of it, and put the original one up in a safe place like a fire safe, lock box or even better, a safe deposit box. The ATF WILL NOT replace it if you lose it, they will send you a crappy photo copy. REMEMBER, This form keeps your butt out of jail.

Once you get the forms back you will need a short barrel. You can buy one or cut one down yourself. I have done both. If you want to buy one, you can sometimes find them on e-bay believe it or not, or other firearm sites. They will run you about $100 to $200 depending on what you are looking for. You can also get one from most "Class 3" dealers. The easiest thing to do is just cut it off yourself or take your barrel AND a COPY of your approved ATF form to your gunsmith of choice. He should be able to cut it down, touch up the finish, drill and tap and install a sight

You will also need to mark the frame, receiver, or barrel with the following info by engraving or stamping. (This information
    must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. and plainly visible, not hidden under the fore-end)
    - your name
    - City, state

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2...cfr479.102.htm

I do the barrel, that way you can return to a standard 18in barrel if you ever decide you don't want a SBS any longer without destroying the value of the shotgun by having your name on the receiver.

"But were do I get these forms?" you ask.

very simple grasshopper. you can down load all of them but the fingerprint cards. The Police dept can furnish the finger print cards or you can order them from the ATF here http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

The form 1 and "Certificate of Compliance" can be down loaded from these sites.

http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/web/forms.htm

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/5300i...tions.htm#5320

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f533020.pdf

If you don't want to down load the forms, you can go to this ATF site and order as many of the forms you want. Same site as the Finger print cards. http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

ALWAYS keep a copy of the approved form with the gun. You can travel anywhere with in your state without notifying anyone, (the same has a normal firearm) If you want to take it to another state, you MUST FIRST, notify the ATF with a form 5320.20 Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This is tax free, and you can do it by FAX.. you can download from the same website as the others or use this direct link.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf

Is it worth all of this just to have a shotgun with a short barrel? To me it is, but you will have to make that decision

- So now grass hopper,go forth and shoot your new toy!!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Superb set of info QK

Stuff many folks want to know so often.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You can bypass the CLEO signature, fingerprints, and mugshots by forming a corportation. The corporation is treated as an individual as far as the law and regs go, according to the ATF definition of "individual". The corporation owns the NFA weapon and the agents of the corporation have control over it and the access to it. Good for places that don't have pro-NFA CLEOs. I formed an LLC in WI where I keep my suppressors and SBR, as MI doesn't allow them.

It doesn't take much. Filing is less than $200 including reservation of trade name. For $15 I got a copy of LLC Maker on CD-ROM from Nolo.com, an information website for aspiring business owners with tax tips and a slew of information on how to form a corporation and create articles of incorporation.

There are pros and cons to forming a corp for NFA weaponry, but it is worth it for me. Since there is no profit or money exchange, I basically file a blank tax return filled with zeros. It is not a business, it is a corporation so it can't be shut down due to no money flow. Also, no business licenses are required to form a corporation.

Just a couple extra things to make it easier to get what we want. 100% legal too.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Very cool. Anybody have pictures of any of these that they have made, bought, altered?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Administrator
    This is from gunsamerica

Senior Moderator
    Not the best picture in the world but done exactly as described in the first post. The wait was 4 months. If one has the skills, its not a big a deal as many people thinks it to be as most of the machining skills required are fairly basic...if you have the right tools.

This is on a .300 Whisper AR. The can is very quiet and quite fun to shoot. It has a "dual" mount, it screws onto the threads of the flash suppressor and has a collet attachment on the rear that locks onto the barrel and insures concentricity. It works well and is very secure.

Although it looks fairly long in this picture, the can is mounted on a16 inch barrel. In fact, the whole length is no longer than a standard 20 inch AR.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Nice Rifle Hot Guns.
    Wicked Awesome looking.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't want to hijack the thread so please strike me down if need be, BUT....Why the heck are SBS & SBR such a big deal to the BATF?? If I can buy and carry a handgun...why can't I have a SBR if I register it as a handgun? Why does a folding shoulder stock on a semi-Uzi make it a SBR and ILLEGAL for me here in MI???!!!!
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

When they were heavily controlled, 1934, they were common in use among the gangsters. They thought by controlling the guns they would control the gangsters. The transfer tax back then was a staggering amount. This was to discourage lawful owners of transferring. $200 in 1934's money was a great deal of money, now it is just a nusiance and a revenue generator.

The rest is because Michigan sucks as far as NFA goes. A rifle or shotgun that is less than 30" overall (say with a pistol grip only and 18" barrel or folding stock) must be registered as a pistol in MI. This also means because it it considered a pistol, you can carry one loaded in your vehicle if you have your CPL, since it is considered a pistol.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Can I register a SBR or SBS as a pistol in MI? I would be willing to do that if it is possible.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

No. A SBS or SBR is ILLEGAL in MI, unless it is on the C&R list and you have the C&R collector's license. If the barrel is less than 16" on a rifle or 18" on a shotgun it is either a SBS or SBR and is illegal in MI unless C&R. Basically the only way to own a SBR or SBS in MI is to be a C&R and have a C&R SBR or SBS. MI sucks as far as NFA goes. You can't own anything unless it is C&R and you have the 03 C&R FFL.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links