Rifled slugs through an unrifled barrel?

This is a discussion on Rifled slugs through an unrifled barrel? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tricolordad Hahaha ive been shooting microwaves toasters and an old dorm refrigerator all day. Buckshot doesnt go through the fridge but it ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rifled slugs through an unrifled barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Hahaha ive been shooting microwaves toasters and an old dorm refrigerator all day. Buckshot doesnt go through the fridge but it pops it up in the air. Im getting some slugs on Wednesday. Ive got some Winchester Super X Magnum 00B for home defense. Both my shoulders are bruised from testing em out.
    Skip the magnum buckshot rounds for home defense. Typically you get 3 extra pellets over the standard load, and at a lower velocity, yet with greater recoil, as you noticed. You'd be better served with the reduced-recoil LE buckshot rounds.

For slugs, the good ol' basics work as well as anything in an unrifled barrel. The sabot slugs are intended for fully rifled barrels. I went through some shoulder-busting testing with my rifle-sighted 870 barrel equipped with a rifled choke tube. The sabot slugs showed only a slight improvement over the regular slugs, but when I stepped up to a dedicated slug gun (solid frame, fully rifled barrel) the sabot slugs gave pretty impressive accuracy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

oh I like slug

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    Why would you need to make sure you dont have a screw in choke. Most of my shotguns do, and Ive never had any problems.
    Interchangeable chokes are fine for rifled slugs. I don't know where people get some of this information. Maybe certain chokes won't work with sabot slugs? IC is usually recommended on the box of rifled slugs for accuracy, but they shoot just fine out of my modified chokes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links