Defensive Carry banner

Rifled slugs through an unrifled barrel?

26K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  Lotus222 
#1 ·
Im buying a new shotgun and never once thought of this, after browsing through all sorts of shells....if the barrel is not rifled, do I use a rifled slug? Why or why not? Does it offer any advantage or weakness?

#3 ·
The Foster Rifled Slug and Similar Designs

The Foster slug is a bit like a hollow-base wadcutter, heavy in front with a skirt. This front-heavy feature keeps the slug true in flight, thus aiding accuracy to an extent though not to the degree that a well-fitting projectile fired through a rifled barrel can yield. The so-called "rifling" on the slug allows safe usage of the slug in a wide variety of barrel choke dimensions. It doesn't impart any spin to the slug at all.

#4 ·
Learn something new everyday. Guess I always bought into the marketing claims of more accurate rifled slugs. Check out and pattern some federal #1 buck with the flitecontrol wad, thats my favorite shotgun load for defense. If im firing a single projectile, I usually want it launched from a rifle.

#5 ·
I grew up in Indiana which is a deer hunting with shotguns only state, the most devastating and accurate slugs I ever found were Brenneke, which are what ride in the sidesaddle of my HD shotgun.

#7 ·
I've not been able to find rifled slugs (only the plain kind like the pic below). And they leave the barrel quite the mess...(LOL)

#9 ·
Salt will get rid of those.....however....the remains will still be sticky and the salt will rust your barrel. Be sure your barrel is free of obstructions before firing.

This forum demands a sense of humor from time to time. Amen.

Reactions: mano3
#8 ·
No problem. However....rifled slugs were made for distance and accuracy just like a rifled barrel. It all depends on what you're hunting and distance. Rifled slug out of a smooth-bore is fine......just be sure you're barrel doesn't have a screw in choke IMO.

#21 ·
That's a pretty persuasive answer to the question!

Regards,
Jim

#24 ·
I purchased a rifled barrel with rifle sights for my Mossberg 500 to use while hunting deer in Northern Wisconsin where the shots are generally less than 75 yards. I spent $75+ on sabot slugs to find out that the "valu-pack", rifled slugs were just as accurate in my barrel.

Good enough for me!

#27 ·
I use lo recoil Remmington Sluggers. Relatively cheap so you can practice a bit. IMO, pretty darn accurate round, the only reason I've missed a couple of deer with it was forgetting to compensate for the drop in trajectory. I sighted it in closer than the shot I took and gave the deer a haircut.
Much more cost effective than having a rifled barrel only running sabots. You probably give up some accuracy but you can keep it by your bedstand with 00 for home defense.
Jim

Jim

#30 ·
Hahaha ive been shooting microwaves toasters and an old dorm refrigerator all day. Buckshot doesnt go through the fridge but it pops it up in the air. Im getting some slugs on Wednesday. Ive got some Winchester Super X Magnum 00B for home defense. Both my shoulders are bruised from testing em out.

#31 ·
Skip the magnum buckshot rounds for home defense. Typically you get 3 extra pellets over the standard load, and at a lower velocity, yet with greater recoil, as you noticed. You'd be better served with the reduced-recoil LE buckshot rounds.

For slugs, the good ol' basics work as well as anything in an unrifled barrel. The sabot slugs are intended for fully rifled barrels. I went through some shoulder-busting testing with my rifle-sighted 870 barrel equipped with a rifled choke tube. The sabot slugs showed only a slight improvement over the regular slugs, but when I stepped up to a dedicated slug gun (solid frame, fully rifled barrel) the sabot slugs gave pretty impressive accuracy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.