The beaver hole gets only 1 at a time

This is a discussion on The beaver hole gets only 1 at a time within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like you definitely have an issue. I've shot critters in their holes before, and both of my AR's cycled just fine. I'd try firing ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: The beaver hole gets only 1 at a time

Sounds like you definitely have an issue. I've shot critters in their holes before, and both of my AR's cycled just fine. I'd try firing it straight down (safely, of course) and see if it cycles. If it doesn't, I'd work my way through the gas system replacing parts until you find the issue.
    atctimmy likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I think it is unwise to stick that barrel down a hole and fire. You don't know what you will hit. It may bounce back and hit you. Then we will have a thread about man shoots self while shooting beaver hole.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by dontrun View Post
    I have a question, I tried to shoot a beaver that was inside its hole with my ar 15 and when the barrel was inside the hole it would not cycle. When I took it out of the hole it cycled perfect, I tried shooting in the hole about 10 times and same problem. It was not ejecting the spent case. The gun is custom build with an osprey piston kit. It has never had any other problems. Just want to know why it does not work inside a hole in the ground? Thanks.
    Wow weird, I am by no means an AR expert but I have a few questions for you that may help some of the other experts here solve this mystery. You said that it would not cycle while stuck in the whole. How large was the hole in relation to the gun? I assume a beaver hole is about 8-12 inches in diameter.

Secondly, how much of the barrel was in the hole?

Thirdly, and this is what I suspect is the clincher, when you test fired it out of the hole were you pointing in down at the ground like I assume you were when you pointed it into the beaver den? I am thinking maybe gravity is the culprit. Would weak ammo and a sticky piston have more trouble lifting the piston up against gravity verses pushing it horizontal like most people shoot a gun?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dontrun View Post
    I have a question, I tried to shoot a beaver that was inside its hole with my ar 15 and when the barrel was inside the hole it would not cycle. When I took it out of the hole it cycled perfect, I tried shooting in the hole about 10 times and same problem. It was not ejecting the spent case. The gun is custom build with an osprey piston kit. It has never had any other problems. Just want to know why it does not work inside a hole in the ground? Thanks.

I'd just like to say.....

I really liked you in Caddy Shack.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You are using the wrong tool for the job. Either set up a chair a a cooler nearby and wait till he sticks his head out, or stuff a grenade in there..
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    You are using the wrong tool for the job. Either set up a chair a a cooler nearby and wait till he sticks his head out, or stuff a grenade in there..
    Or little animals made of C4.

I was thinking to myself, "Why shoot a beaver?" This answered it for me.

Rabid beaver chases children in Fairfax; 2nd attack in a week - Washington Times
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Hubby just read my post and started giggling. It is that child like quality that makes him popular.....usually. Excuse me while I
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Since the entrances to beaver lodges are underwater, I'm betting that is why you were only getting one shot off. ARs don't cycle properly when submerged.
    Arborigine likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I nominate this as best thread title ever
    ericmt likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Beavers sticking his finger in the muzzle

^^Off hand^^^^^^^^

That would be my guess!!!!!

I don't know if I'd be broadcasting what I was up to.
    It may be illegal in your neck of the woods.

In Mi. I think it would be.
    I believe you can only trap them, and there is something on the books about setting fire and or shooting game in its den/burrow/hole/nest.
    Supertac45 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I was thinking to myself, "Why shoot a beaver?" This answered it for me.

Rabid beaver chases children in Fairfax; 2nd attack in a week - Washington Times
    I may be a horrible person, but am I the only one who can not read that headline with a straight face?
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Is the beaver still a protected specie in WY? I know that it was quite some time ago but, I believe that it has since been taken off that protected roster.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Those wild beavers can be unpredictable. I would be careful.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Before this thread get censored, here's a couple of shots i took while waiting for a light to change. The woman walked in with the kiddies, and came out without them. There is plenty we can say about that here, and perhaps imply that the woman doesn't learn, but keep it clean or the fun stops.

I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links