Home defense ar/rifle location?

This is a discussion on Home defense ar/rifle location? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just had a question. I know some people prefer their rifle for home defense, where do you keep it so that it easy to access ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: Home defense ar/rifle location?

Just had a question. I know some people prefer their rifle for home defense, where do you keep it so that it easy to access in the event of hearing the bump in the night?
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I think a lot of posters would probably have it some where in their room since it would be used for HD.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    There are many options for you on this one. I would think having kids around would be a big one. If the kids are gone/grown up you're more flexable on where it is.

Since we have young children we use one of these for the shot gun. It is in our bedroom.

VIP Member
    I use a wall safe as well.

Senior Moderator
    I use to have mine hanging on bicycle hooks in the bedroom closet, now that my sons are old enough to climb and get it down I have got one of these Stack-On | Products | Full-length In-wall Steel Cabinet and installed it between the studs in my closet
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

No kids....no issues here at home. My first line of defense is not a rifle BTW. But if it was.........it would be standing in a corner where I could see it, and under my bed when I decide to sleep. Maybe even in bed with me (don't think like that now....could be unhealthy). LOL! I've had plenty of my personal protective devices in bed with me over the years. There's only one place that a rifle for HD would be out of my sight and out of my reach....that would be when I'm in the shower. Only my Glocks go there.

VIP Member
    Thanks atctimmy & pgrass.

I feel pretty stupid with a 1911 in a small safe by my bed and the AR in the big safe in the basement.

Time for a long-gun wall safe in the bedroom.

No kids here so I'm comfortable using this for my Mossberg 500. I'm sure it will work fine with a AR too.
    Bedside Rifle / Shotgun Rack Ruger Mini 14 SR22 10/22 Remington 597 Marlin 795 | eBay

Don't use a rifle for home defense, but I have a 17 yr old and a 13 yr old and we have had may discussions about fire arm safety (both shoot) so leaving a rifle in the bedroom would not be a concern of mine. When they were younger, yest it would have been a concern. If I did have a rifle/shotgun for HD, I will have it in my closet where I can get to it within 20 seconds. I believe in levels of security. Level 1, I have a 90 lbs German Shepard that is very good of letting me know if someone is outside the house. Level 2, I have an alarm system that we activate if anyone breaches the house. Level 3, Back to the dog that is very territorial, does not like stangers and has been trained to protect. Level 4, me
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Don't use a rifle for home defense, but I have a 17 yr old and a 13 yr old and we have had may discussions about fire arm safety (both shoot) so leaving a rifle in the bedroom would not be a concern of mine. When they were younger, yest it would have been a concern. If I did have a rifle/shotgun for HD, I will have it in my closet where I can get to it within 20 seconds. I believe in levels of security. Level 1, I have a 90 lbs German Shepard that is very good of letting me know if someone is outside the house. Level 2, I have an alarm system that we activate if anyone breaches the house. Level 3, Back to the dog that is very territorial, does not like stangers and has been trained to protect. Level 4, me
    Another thing to consider is if your kids have friends over. Your kids may be well-trained and responsible. Can you be equally confident of all of their friends?
    pgrass101 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Another thing to consider is if your kids have friends over. Your kids may be well-trained and responsible. Can you be equally confident of all of their friends?
    Good point!! In our house, their friends are not allowed in my wifes bedroom at any time. House rules laid down by my wife. By the way, it is my wife's bedroom. She just lets me sleep and dress there.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I had been using an 870 with slugs, it stood by the bed. Now its just the Glock. I keep one of these little beauties on the Glock so i have to wake up to use it.

ZACK CONCEALMENT HOLSTER

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Good point!! In our house, their friends are not allowed in my wifes bedroom at any time. House rules laid down by my wife. By the way, it is my wife's bedroom. She just lets me sleep and dress there.
    LOL. You'd never know that a man lives in our house.

Links