good long range rifle - Page 2

good long range rifle

This is a discussion on good long range rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns .300 Mag about covers it. It's pretty versatile, and ammo is fairly easy to get.You can run the full spectrum from ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: good long range rifle

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    .300 Mag about covers it.
    It's pretty versatile, and ammo is fairly easy to get.You can run the full spectrum from 110's up to 220 grain bullets.
    Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    I am a Weatherby man myself. I have a .257 Weatherby Mag. and a .300 Weatherby Mag. - I shot a nice mule deer at 550 yards with my .257 and have shot my .300 at over 500 many times. Both are great long range shooters. It all depends on your game of choice. .257 is a little light for Bear or Caribou. I have shot an Elk with it and stopped it in its tracks.

The .300 Weatherby mag has far more powder than the .300 Win Mag. The ballistics are better as a result, but the cost is a factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    300 win mag comes to mind....built off a Mauser action. With the right bullet, a 7mm mag. Bolt action is a must. Might realize your thinking and my thinking of long range and big game might be different in a variety of ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I use a model 70 feather weight Winchester in 270.. with Leapold scope weights in at less than 7 LBS.

Hand loaded 130 gr Nosler BT clocked at 3100 FPS..

with this combo i've taken deer size game out to 500 yards.

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

But of course if money is no object and you don't mind paying $100+ for 20 rounds of ammo,

Lazzeroni comes to mind,,,,,,
    The 7.82 Warbird will blow most of the cartridges mentioned away, but definitely comes at a premium,

Long Magnum Cartridges

I would stick with the 300 win mag.
    The boy bought a used 110 Savage 300 W/O the accutrigger from an associate at work for $200.

As was mentioned, what is your idea for "long range"?
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I've used the .30-06 to 600 yards in high-power competition. For my purposes the .30-06 satisfies all long range requirements.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

lets say 300-500+ for deer, elk, caribou, moose, maybe a bear (probably black bear). thanks for all the advice and input everyone.
    ruger91

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Savage Arms makes a fine rifle. I had a 270 Winchester did very well with deer. Might need a little more cartridge though.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    If you're planning hunting at 500+ yards (or really much beyond 350 or so), you should plan on getting closer. Any caliber loses a great deal of its power at those ranges and isn't in the best interest of a quick kill. It happens on occasion, but most conscientious shooters will try to keep shots at a more reasonable range. Super long shots can be made but...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you're planning hunting at 500+ yards (or really much beyond 350 or so), you should plan on getting closer. Any caliber loses a great deal of its power at those ranges and isn't in the best interest of a quick kill. It happens on occasion, but most conscientious shooters will try to keep shots at a more reasonable range. Super long shots can be made but...
    +1 i hate the idea of wasting ammo.

A missed shot at 350 is worth about as much as a slap in the face. Just remember TABK lol i missed one from 150 using the irons hunting elk a few years back and i didnt take another because i didnt see it impact. Walked down there and didnt leave until i found the clump of dirt where it went in. I used 7.62x54r, pretty much the same as 30-06, little more powder. Love that mosin. As far as a rifle reccomendation, a remington 270 does the trick but it does depend on the shooter and what youre comfortable with.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    Remington 700 in 300 win mag.
    I used mine in a match that was 1200 yards. I shoot mine all the time at 1000 yards with 1/2 MOA targets. The round is pretty windproof. 240 grain bullets for the match. 200 or 210 grain for hunting.

this we need 2 know..

what ranges?
    do you reload?
    what is the biggest game you expect to hunt?..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    this we need 2 know..

what ranges?
    do you reload?
    what is the biggest game you expect to hunt?..

^^^HE told us in^^^^^^^^^^

Post # 18
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Deer, elk, caribou, and moose at the mentioned ranges a 300 mag is no problem at all. That 500yd shot might seem like excessive to guys from the east, but it isnt for western hunting. Getting closer in a timely manner isnt always possible. Elk, caribou and moose are big targets also so that helps. Also the larger bullets like the 200 and 210 grns that MrBuckwheat have mentioned above have plenty of enery left to get the job done.

I know alot of bear guys up here in Alaska use 300 win mag and 30/06 for bear. They also carry s&w 500s on the hip. Amazing story I'll post sometime I'm not on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for all the advice everyone. a big help once again. what model savage 10? when i look on their site it seems they have different model savage 10's. thanks
    ruger91

NRA member

Whichever one strikes your fancy.

I've got a .308 Savage M10 varminter with the target Accutrigger (wearing a Swarovski 4-16x50); with 168gr Matchkings, I've printed just over 1" groups @ 300 yards. Using 150gr Barnes TTSX's, it's not much bigger than that...and that would do just dandy for pretty much any large game in the lower 48.

It's a little heavy, though.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links