good long range rifle

good long range rifle

This is a discussion on good long range rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; can anyone point me iin the direction of a good large game long range rifle. any calibers for large game are good. thanks for any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: good long range rifle

good long range rifle

can anyone point me iin the direction of a good large game long range rifle. any calibers for large game are good. thanks for any replies

- i want a long range rifle for large game that could also be used for long distance HD jst in case of an apocalypse or civil unrest, etc lol. better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by ruger91; September 13th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
    ruger91

NRA member

Remington 700 in 300 win mag.
    phreddy, Poseidon, BkCo1 and 2 others like this.

300 win mag comes to mind....built off a Mauser action. With the right bullet, a 7mm mag. Bolt action is a must. Might realize your thinking and my thinking of long range and big game might be different in a variety of ways.

I am a Weatherby man myself. I have a .257 Weatherby Mag. and a .300 Weatherby Mag. - I shot a nice mule deer at 550 yards with my .257 and have shot my .300 at over 500 many times. Both are great long range shooters. It all depends on your game of choice. .257 is a little light for Bear or Caribou. I have shot an Elk with it and stopped it in its tracks.

The .300 Weatherby mag has far more powder than the .300 Win Mag. The ballistics are better as a result, but the cost is a factor.

Senior Moderator
    I have a Winchester model 70 in 7mm Rem mag

What ranges and game are you goingto be hunting?

It is hard to beat the .30-06 for most North American hunting
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    .300 Mag about covers it.
    It's pretty versatile, and ammo is fairly easy to get.You can run the full spectrum from 110's up to 220 grain bullets.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I use a model 70 feather weight Winchester in 270.. with Leapold scope weights in at less than 7 LBS.

Hand loaded 130 gr Nosler BT clocked at 3100 FPS..

with this combo i've taken deer size game out to 500 yards.

NMB
    Savage model 11 and remington 700 in 30-06. Will be able to take down anything in North America.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Go with Savage over Remington..I have both (Rem 700, Savage 10). Both fine guns but Savage is cheaper, just as or more accurate, and the stock accu-trigger is very good.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Started with a 30/06, moved up to 300 mag. Both are very capable if you do your part. Of course 300 gets you longer range and a lot more bullet options.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It would help to define what you consider "long" range. For some, that may be 100+ yards, others 300+ yards, etc. A few may only consider 500 yards as the threshold of extreme range.

A deer-size animal at 300 yards is a piece of cake for my Rem 700 .30-06 with my handloaded 165 grn boattails. I've dropped caribou and moose at further ranges. There are flatter-shooting calibers if you want to step up in recoil, but it's more a case of knowing your gun and the round you're using.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It would help to define what you consider "long" range. For some, that may be 100+ yards, others 300+ yards, etc. A few may only consider 500 yards as the threshold of extreme range.

A deer-size animal at 300 yards is a piece of cake for my Rem 700 .30-06 with my handloaded 165 grn boattails. I've dropped caribou at further ranges. There are flatter-shooting calibers if you want to step up in recoil, but it's more a case of knowing your gun and the round you're using.
    Good question. I can't imagine in NC (assuming that is where he is hunting) that you are taking things out further than 300 yards.....But what do I know, I am a vegetarian. Either way, 100-700, Rem or Savage are good.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Another 300 win mag vote here. Mine is an S2 vanguard. It shoots exceptionally well for a $450 rifle with 210 grain Berger VLD hand loads (3/4 m.o.a.). It will handle anything on this continent although I'd take something bigger personally if I ever go get hunted by grizzlies in Alaska.

sent via iCarry

VIP Member
    I think a .308 in a Remington 700 or a Savage 10 action is hard to beat.

It really depends on specifics though. There is no do it all caliber. There are tradeoffs for everything. More velocity and a bigger bullet = more recoil. Longer barrel = heavier gun.

We really need a bit more info about what you are wanting in order give you a better nudge in the right direction.

Will this guns primary use be hunting or long range high volume target shooting?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Nothing wrong with a heavier gun to reduce recoil. Take two pounds off the gut and add it to the rifle. Your shoulder (and knees) will love you for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links