The SKS... good or not? - Page 2

The SKS... good or not?

This is a discussion on The SKS... good or not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Search around and find a RUSSIAN SKS......(they're stamped with the Soviet star and yr of Mfg on the top of reciever) they're one of the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The SKS... good or not?

Search around and find a RUSSIAN SKS......(they're stamped with the Soviet star and yr of Mfg on the top of reciever) they're one of the best in the bunch. Good 100 yd gun, and also good for deer (balistics are close to the 30-30) if it's a legal thing, then go with a Ruger Mini 30 rifle, as you won't encounter that "legal suff" issue.....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Shoot from the hip? When one of those hot cases lands on your nose and burns you might think twice.

The SKS is a great rifle for the money. It is one of the best guns for the money on the market today. You get alot for a little.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

WOW, man, guys, let me say first of all THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REPLIES!! You guys are totally awesome. :) (and don't worry, when I get it, I'll give you guys alllll the dirty details WITH pics! )

So here's another question that came to mind after reviewing what you guys said on here: Is there any way to AK-47ize an SKS? What I mean is, I LOVE the look of the AK with its wood pistol grip and stocks, but I like the price of the SKS, so is there any way I could outfit an SKS to where it looks almost just like the AK?

Also, for car carry (ie: Trunk carry) what would be a good case to carry it in to keep it free of dirt, easily accessible, and yet not recognizeable (at least not right off the bat) as a gun??
    A man without a blackthorn stick is a man without an expedient. - Irish Proverb

Why so SERIOUS?

Assistant Administrator
    I didn't post before because you already had a load of good info.
    As for converting to ''AK-ize'' - IMO not very practical as I recall. Others may know better than I.

I do believe tho places like http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ might have some options to take your fancy re changing furniture. They have a lotta stuff for AK's and SKS's.

Trunk carry - how about the ubiquitous (beat up) violin case
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Haha, would an SKS fit in a violin case?

Why so SERIOUS?

There once was a Norinco SKS in a carbine version that also took AK mags.....(The mag was detatchable)......That's about as close to an AK as you're going to get...........The Carbine version (16 1/2 inch bbl) is VERY hard to find
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    actually I have a lightweight "folding" stock. I bought for my sks a while back, but later refinished the original stock, and fell in love with it. So I am looking to sell the aftermarket one.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=502

I have both pieces to make it either folding or fixed. (was an extra 9-10$ iirc)

I would let it go for 40$ plus shipping if someone wants it.

A word of warning though, you will need to keep it as a fixed stock unless your sks is old enough, or you have enough u.s. compliance parts on it. Otherwise you could be in violation of batf rules.

last but not least, my neighbor has one with the aftermarket scope and bolt cover combo. I haven't shot his yet, but he says very good things about it. For less than $40 I will have to try one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    There once was a Norinco SKS in a carbine version that also took AK mags.....(The mag was detatchable)......That's about as close to an AK as you're going to get...........The Carbine version (16 1/2 inch bbl) is VERY hard to find
    I have the carbine that takes AK mags, and love it. I was acurate right out of the box. I guess Clinton banned importation of them or something. My dad has the regular SKS and I absolutley prefer it to the AK for accuracy and shootability. You don't get that Ak muzzle rise which I hate. In fact, if it weren't for pure SHTF reliability in filthy environments, I would get rid of the AK, but who knows, I may need it someday in that type of sitch, so I'm keepin it just in case.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    . My cousin had a Chinese SKS that was a lemon, I have 2 friends that also have Chinese SKS and love them, so my cousins might be a fluke.
    I talked to my cousin about his SKS, he bought his used
    and did not inspect it well. He took it to a gunsmith who replaced the gas rod (maybe plug....well something was bent ) Since then it has run and run.

Goodsamaritan, what are the "U.S. Compliance parts"?

Why so SERIOUS?

SKS

Best to keep it as stock as possible. There's nothing wrong with it, and the laws are so confusing, nobody will be able to correctly tell you if it's legal or not. Some of the "semi-detachable" magazines are unreliable and are all slow to reload. Stick with 10 the stock magazine and stripper clips. Best to have a way of locking it up if you're going to leave it in the car, too. And don't forget to keep it oiled for corrosion resistance. Here in FL, long guns in cars are mostly regulated by laws relating to hunting, while the CCW laws concern mostly handguns. I am not a lawyer, thank goodness.

And if you have the Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher, YOU ARE MISSING OUT IF YOU DON"T OWN THIS:
    http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=

Available as a kit or as individual rounds.

The SKS is a very good carbine. I've owned 5 of them. The Chinese are my favorite. The Russians are probably the "prettiest". I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if your looking for a good, reasonably priced, reliable autoloader.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

As said by many, the SKS is a fine "trunk gun", if legal in your part of the world. Here's a little write-up on how to clean up one that is covered in cosmoline.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu23.htm

I love mine.

Sponsor
    Just bought two Norinco SKS's like new condition. Great guns and plenty accurate as others have mentioned.

I sighted the first one in last week. The front sight had to be brought up three turns and then it was dead nuts on at 100 yds, the windage needed no tuning at all. Moving the ladder rear sight to "300", the 18x18" steel gong was whacked 30 for 30 from the bench [ just to see if the ladder increments were good to use which they are ].

Good luck with the SKS's guys and gals, they are reliable, rugged and battle proven to work with enough knock down out to 300 to make it hurt.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

any opinions on the mini-30? mine shoots under 3" with most ammo from what iv'e seen i may have lucked out. it's a stainless version with a choates stock & buffer & muzzle brake. i tried some
    eagle 10 rd. mags and they are in my opinion crap. just don't function. i keep it clean & don't have any problems with ruger mag or an american ss 10rd talk to me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links