The SKS... good or not? - Page 3

The SKS... good or not?

This is a discussion on The SKS... good or not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JayHawker45 The SKSs are quite adequate for a truck carbine. I own two Yugo 59/66s that I bought for my sons. They ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The SKS... good or not?

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    The SKSs are quite adequate for a truck carbine. I own two Yugo 59/66s that I bought for my sons. They are as accurate as we need, they are a good weapon to teach the boys on, and they are dependable.

The only drawback I see is that the firing pin well in the bolt MUST be kept meticulously clean. SOME SKSs had a tendency for the firing pin to stick (this is a risk one has with any free floating firing pin, but it seemed to be more prevalent with the SKS family of weapons), greatly increasing the chance of a slam fire. Attention to detail greatly reduces the risk. Since my sons were or are the primary users of these weapons, I opted to have a spring installed on the firing pin that precludes the firing pin from sticking in the "wrong" position at the wrong time.

Frankly, that's the only mod I've ever considered for either of the weapons. For me, the length of pull of the stock is short, but it fits the boys so, I'm not terribly concerned about that. For less than $200, I personally think it's a great deal, it almost puts the SKS into the realm of a "disposable" carbine.... "you can shoot it until it can't shoot no more."

Ben Murray out of Texas is the gentleman that I got the springs from.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/...art2/index.asp

I had to replace the firing pin in my yugo, and did it with one of Murray's after firing several thousand rounds on the original. Cost about 30 bucks I think for him to send me one, and installed in about 2 minutes. Mine however had gotten bent, and would not fire at all, as opposed to the slamfire which I have seen and fired other sks' with this condition.

For the price the overall reliability and the options of parts and accesories, you just can't beat one of these.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The SKS can be a very accurate gun, you need to get the special front adjustment tool, also need totally strip and clean all parts of the gun or you will have mechanical problems. http://www.surplusrifle.com is a great source of info on these guns. I often see guys who bought an SKS and did not clean it completely struggling with jams and feed problems--these are gas operated and can get very dirty, plus most were embalmed in cosmoline for storage which you need to totally clean out. Great gun for the money.
    "Well, a gun that's unloaded and cocked ain't good for nothin". John Wayne in True Grit

The SKS came from russian experimental sniper rifle designs in the late days of WWII. Inherently the milled reciever, bolt design, trigger and better connected barrel all come together to provide you with better accuracy than the AKM.
    For $130 why NOT get the SKS? *shrugs*

I personally sprung for the AKM after firing both guns simply because the AKM was far more fun to shoot and trying to use either gun for precision shooting is just a joke.
    But if you want shooting fun from an SKS with highcap mags, then you will have to do some work on your gun...or get used to stripper clips and 10 rds at a time

Sponsor
    My Norinco sks's will shoot an 18x18" steel plate at 300 rds all day. Thats a mans chest at 300 yds and just fine for accuracy at that range.

The guns are up to it if you are. For the sigths on them, they do very well. Put a peep sight on one and you'd probably be able to hold that steel plate at 400 yds. Not too shabby for a dependable cheap rifle.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Hekkenschutze View Post
    The SKS came from russian experimental sniper rifle designs in the late days of WWII.
    It most certainly did not.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Go...3/sks_main.htm

VIP Member
    Phil that is a good link. Good info on a rifle I own and did not know a lot about.

I own four SKS's. Two Yugos and two Norincos. They are fine rifles and are more than accurate enough for MBR purposes. Below is a pic of one of my Norincos with a back yard camo job on a synthetic Monte Carlo stock. I call it my jungle gun. This rifle has been absolutely reliable for the 11 years I've owned it.

I think everybody should have at least one SKS.
    Git-U-1.
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PAPACHUCK View Post
    I own four SKS's. Two Yugos and two Norincos. They are fine rifles and are more than accurate enough for MBR purposes. Below is a pic of one of my Norincos with a back yard camo job on a synthetic Monte Carlo stock. I call it my jungle gun. This rifle has been absolutely reliable for the 11 years I've owned it.

I think everybody should have at least one SKS.
    Git-U-1.
    That is probably the nicest looking SKS I've ever seen. It has really clean lines and I do like the finish on the stock (and I'm not a camo guy), the metal finish looks good too. You have inspired me to fix up one (or more) of mine.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links