Need help with shotgun choice

This is a discussion on Need help with shotgun choice within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey all! I'm in the market for a shotgun. I have never owned one. I'm looking for a versatile all around shotgun. Something for home ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need help with shotgun choice

Need help with shotgun choice

Hey all! I'm in the market for a shotgun. I have never owned one. I'm looking for a versatile all around shotgun. Something for home defense, but also something I can shoot clays with( something I have never done, but plan on trying). But I want it to be awesome. Pump action a must. I'm looking at spending up to $600-700. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; September 13th, 2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: removed offensive language

2. Remove Ads

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. I'd get an 18" barrel if it is mostly for home defense, but that will make clays harder. For clays I like an O/U with a 26" barrel, but I have done it with an 18" before.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I was leaning toward Mossberg 500. The price is right
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    It must be a Remington 870! Proven since 1951!
    CIBMike likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I think there are packages available for the Rem 870 and the Mossy 500, where you get a 18-20" barrel for defense, and a 26-28" for sporting use. Takes only seconds to swich barrels.

I have a 20" on my Rem 870 for home defense, and a 28" for trap.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Part of the selection process should include operating controls, what you find to be the more-comfortable. Some people find they much prefer certain controls. Remington 870, Mossberg M590, Ithaca 37. Any of these should be a workhorse. A Benelli Nova or Winchester SXP pump might be one to consider, though I don't have direct experience with either of these two.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Rem 870. Buy one full length barrel for the clays, and find another barrel for HD IMO.

Handle a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, and figure out what you like the feel of and control locations on better. Then buy a package deal, of an 18.5" barrel, and a 28" barrel with interchangable chokes. That combo will allow you to do virtually anything that can be done with a shotgun.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Listen to Buckeye, he knows what he's talking about.

I'm only saying that because I would say the exact same thing
    Rock and Glock and atctimmy like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500. Great guns, and you can do anything with them- it's kinda like a Mustang; the aftermarket is endless.

You may start with a Mossberg 500, 18.5"bbl, 5rnd capacity- but you may end with a twenty-something inch rifled barrel, 8-10 rnd capacity, adjustable pistol-grip stock, picatinny railed monster of a 'tactical' shotgun.

Same thing with the Remington 870. Both are great, but I have more experience (although limited) with the Mossberg.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Mossy 930 hd

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Handle a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, and figure out what you like the feel of and control locations on better. Then buy a package deal, of an 18.5" barrel, and a 28" barrel with interchangable chokes. That combo will allow you to do virtually anything that can be done with a shotgun.
    This would be the best way to address your situation.^^^^^I would lean twords the remington 870.
    The easy way is always mined.

Can't go wrong with Mossberg or Remington. On barrels, I'd go with a 28" or 30" for trap/skeet and 20" with chokes tubes as it would be the most versatile for HD/hunting (18.5" barrels don't come with choke tubes AFAIK). Especially since you're brand new to shotguns, I would seriously consider an autoloader. Concerns about modern shotguns jamming are unfounded and countered with the increased likelyhood of short stroking the gun and locking it up. An autoloader will also kick less which will allow more enjoyable practice and quicker follow up shots. Also a consideration if anyone else will be shooting it on a fairly regular basis.

Don't get too hung up on size - while you're trying guns out, do yourself a favor and handle a 20 ga as you may find it a lot easier to maneuver than a 12 ga. In small stores, ammo selection isn't as good, but you can find whatever you need online or in the big box stores (or they'll most likely be willing to order it for you)

I'm partial to mossberg. I have a 500 that has 1000's of rounds thru it. I have had it for 25 years.

I also have 2 835 mossberg. One is blued work a 30" barrel. The other is camo with a 24" barrel. I hit clays easily with both of them.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Just coincidently it's pumpkin season! Good timing,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links