Ruger Mini 14 question ???????>>>>>>>

Ruger Mini 14 question ???????>>>>>>>

This is a discussion on Ruger Mini 14 question ???????>>>>>>> within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking of eventually buying one. I called a LGS and they said that they have several new ones in stock and that 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ruger Mini 14 question ???????>>>>>>>

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar

Thumbs up Ruger Mini 14 question ???????>>>>>>>

I was thinking of eventually buying one. I called a LGS and they said that they have several new ones in stock and that 2 of them have the black folding stock. I thought I researched this that the folding stock from Ruger was last offered many years ago. Is this correct or do they have one now that is offered in this configuration ??? I do not see anything in the Ruger website. Thanks for any info. God Bless

VIP Member
    They have one of the 'tactical' versions with the folding stock.

Ruger® Mini-14® Tactical Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    They have one of the 'tactical' versions with the folding stock.

Ruger® Mini-14® Tactical Rifle Autoloading Rifle Models

WOW Thanks I can't believe I missed that !!! LOL !!! God Bless

Mini-14's are fun fun fun. Not tack drivers though, which was a bit of a disappointment for me.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

if you get the Accu-fab strut kit it helps a lot with the barrel whip. I heard rugger corrected this problem but haven't seen any info

The Original Barrel Strut for Mini-14s

PB2
    The black folding stock on the tactical model is not designed very well for left-handed shooters. The hinge is on the left side and can be in the way for a lefty when trying to get a good firm grip. You might do better buying a Ranch model and an after market collapsible stock that doesn't fold for around $100. It doesn't shoot very well when folded anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Mini-14's are fun fun fun. Not tack drivers though, which was a bit of a disappointment for me.

From what I have read they are not as accurate as an AR, but for the purpose of just having for SHTF / Durable / reliable rifle shooting up to around 200 yards, then it is good enough for me :smile. God Bless

Thanks everyone for your replies. I plan on stopping by there sometime and looking at what they have. I am really like the wood one or the NRA with black synthetic stock that has the shorter 16.5inch barrel. Is it possible to have a gunsmith shorten a stock 18.5inch barrel to 16.5inch like the NRA model ?? Again thanks for any info. God Bless

Just a question, why do you have 7 question marks & 7 arrows in your thread title? Were you concerned that we were going to ignore you?
    Last edited by ghost tracker; September 15th, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
    OldVet likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Just a question, why do you have 7 question marks & 7 arrows in your thread title? We're you concerned that we were going to ignore you?
    No sir, just easier for me to find my own posts when quickly looking God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    No sir, just easier for me to find my own posts when quickly looking God Bless
    If you access your profile it has an option to view all threads you started. Also, another for all of your posts.

I

^ Hey, I learned something. I usually just do a search for my user name

OP, as its been said before, the Mini's are a ton of fun. They feel good and shoot well. As far as accuracy goes, a decent AR will do better. If cost is the biggest concern, check out sites like del-ton. You can built a pretty decent AR for only a little more money.

VIP Member
    There are two versions of the "tactical" Mini-14. One has the folding stock and the other has the full synthetic stock. Both have the 16.5 inch barrel, so if you like the full stock better, just get that one. I think the NRA version is basically the same as the tactical model with the full stock, except the NRA version doesn't have a flash hider. I don't know for sure, but I think that's the only real difference. There are numerous aftermarket wood stocks available, plus the factory wood stock, so you could just buy whichever and replace the stock later. I'm guessing that would be less expensive than having a gunsmith cut the barrel down. I think the wood stocks run about $100 or so and I've seen used wood stocks sell for closer to $50.

I would agree that yes, they are not as accurate as your average AR. They are a rock solid, fun rifle and as long as you aren't looking for anything super accurate, you'll be happy with it. When I had my Mini (the same one you are looking at), I kept mine stock with the exception of the AccuStrut that barstoolguru linked earlier.

After looking at the SRP,and I have a Mini 30 Ranch 7.62x39,I just want to point out a few things,any barrel shortening by a gunsmith is going to cost a few bucks,and the ruger 20 round magazines cost around $35.00 each.If your stuck on the Ruger fine,but the AR plarform offers a lot more accessories and good 30 round mags are about 1/3 the price of Ruger 20 rounders
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VBVAGUY, I like this one a lot: a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical in .223 that came in the ATI folding stock, which I replaced with the Archangel Sparta stock from Pro-Mag. It's a great rifle for not a lot of money, clean-running and reliable.
    "In a world of compromise, some men don't." HK ad slogan from the 1980's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links