Best pistol pairing for a Bushmaster 9MM Carbine 16"

This is a discussion on Best pistol pairing for a Bushmaster 9MM Carbine 16" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a total newb to firearms but am becoming more familiar with them and trying to educate myself further so forgive my seemingly stupid ...

Thread: Best pistol pairing for a Bushmaster 9MM Carbine 16"

I am a total newb to firearms but am becoming more familiar with them and trying to educate myself further so forgive my seemingly stupid and simple questions. I am absolutely entranced by the lure of a 9mm Carbine assault rifle I used a few weeks ago and am looking into making a purchase soon. I am wanting to buy a 9mm pistol to go along with so that I can share ammo between both firearms. Which would you recommend pairing with a Bushmaster 9MM Carbine 16"???

Thank you! Again...Sorry for my lack of knowledge

The Bushmaster 9mm carbines use a proprietary magazine, so there is no change of sharing magazines, which would be nice and something to help your decision if it was available. for example, some carbines run off of Glock magazines, which makes a Glock a natural pairing.

What do you want to use the 9mm pistol for? Concealed carry, home defense, target shooting, plinking?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ugh, I was obviously misinformed. Someone had mentioned the possibility of sharing ammo between a carbine assault rifle and pistol. I don't know how that works. I'd be using the 9mm for home defense and target shooting. Let me rephrase then. I'm basically looking for a primary carbine weapon and a pistol for accompaniment that can use the same ammo. If you know of any specific models, that would be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivalQueen View Post
    Ugh, I was obviously misinformed. Someone had mentioned the possibility of sharing ammo between a carbine assault rifle and pistol. I don't know how that works. I'd be using the 9mm for home defense and target shooting. Let me rephrase then. I'm basically looking for a primary carbine weapon and a pistol for accompaniment that can use the same ammo. If you know of any specific models, that would be very helpful.
    They can share ammo, what they can not share is the magazines. Any pistol that is chambered in 9x19 (also known and 9mm Luger or 9mm parabellum), would be able to share ammunition with the carbine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Edit, buckeye clarified.

I'm going to guess you don't have much experience with handguns, so I'd go to a gun shop and tell him this same story. You want a 9mm because you also want a 9mm carbine. Glock, Springfield XD series, S&W M&P series, are all nice handguns that can be had in 9mm that are very reliable. There are many others, obviously, too many to list really. Get your hands on some and try to shoot them too if possible! That'll really help you decide.

The best 9mm handgun is the one you shoot the best. Try finding a store/range that rents guns and try some of the ones listed above.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivalQueen View Post
    I am a total newb to firearms but am becoming more familiar with them and trying to educate myself further so forgive my seemingly stupid and simple questions. I am absolutely entranced by the lure of a 9mm Carbine assault rifle I used a few weeks ago and am looking into making a purchase soon. I am wanting to buy a 9mm pistol to go along with so that I can share ammo between both firearms. Which would you recommend pairing with a Bushmaster 9MM Carbine 16"???

Thank you! Again...Sorry for my lack of knowledge
    Welcome! And no need to apologize... there is no one on the forum who was born with all the answers, we all started at zero once. The dumbest questions are the ones left unasked!

There are SO many 9mm pistols out there to choose from, and if you're just starting out with shooting, commonality of ammo is a good thing to consider. Among the choices you have are the size of the gun (full size, compact, or subcompact?) and action type (single action, 'traditional' double action, double action only, and 'safe action' (like Glock)). The size of the gun pretty much drives its weight, so if you're going to carry the pistol, the full-size models may be a bit more than you want to lug around, especially with a full high-capacity magazine. But if you're getting the pistol for home defense and range use, full-size models are your friend from the standpoint of reduced felt recoil, reduce muzzle flip, and longer sight radius.

A really good thing to do is to handle a bunch of different pistols to see what feels good in your hand. Glocks, for example, have a different grip angle than Smith & Wesson M+Ps, which may result in a harder time getting your shots where you want them. Some Sigs have pretty thick grips, and getting your finger onto the magazine release button might require an undesireable repositioning of the gun in your shooting hand. Some guns have manual safeties which you need to be able to reach easily.

Not an exhaustive list, but I suggest you handle guns from Ruger, Sig, Glock, Smith & Wesson, CZ, and Springfield Armory (the XD series). The neat thing is that each of these makers has guns in at least two sizes (full-size and compact), so let's say you start with a full-size but later decide to carry a gun with you all the time, there's a compact version of the same gun. Add Kahr to the mix, and you've got choices between compact and subcompact. All of these are quality guns with good credentials.

Once you've reached a short list, then you have to try to shoot the candidates. Some guns may feel great in your hand at the gun store counter but differently when you actually shoot them. Hopefully you've got friends who can help out with this phase of your search. You're in a big metro area, so you should also be able to find ranges with your candidate guns to rent. Whatever you do, don't let gun store clerks bully you into the "THIS gun is what you need" because it's small or pink. If you were in the Phoenix area, there are a couple of stores I'd send you to specifically because there are knowledgeable women behind the counter.

Good luck with your quest. Keep us posted, and ask lots of questions!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

You mentioned the Bushmaster 9mm carbine and the interchangeability of the 9mm round with a pistol. Of course, it has also been correctly pointed out that while the 9mm round can be used in both the carbine and various pistols, you don't have the option of using the pistol magazine with that carbine. If doing so is a major requirement, then you could look at the Beretta CX Storm carbine that takes their PX Storm pistol magazines in both 9mm and 40 S&W. That is one option.

There are a few manufacturers that make carbines that accept Glock magazines, like Kel-tec and JR Rifles. Then there is also the options of purchasing an AR lower in 9 mm that accepts Glock magazines like Lone Wolf and Olympic.

If however, you simply want the Bushmaster 9mm carbine, I believe it takes the Colt 32 round 9mm magazine which is not interchangeable with any pistols that I am aware, you still have many options available in pistols to choose from in 9mm. Glocks, Springfields, S&W, etc. etc. etc.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Welcome to the forum as well.

As far as ROUND interchangeability goes--as has been pointed out, 9x19mm parabellum, Luger, etc--generally just referred to as 9mm--any 9mm pistol and 9mm carbine will be able to utilize the same round.

As far as magazine interchangeability goes...that's where it gets sticky. If that is what you are looking for, and if I may suggest a different option than the 9mm Bushamster--the Kel-Tec Sub 2000; it can be found configured to use several different manufacturers' magazines--Glock, Beretta, and S&W come immediately to mind--that way, you can find a pistol that works for you, and buy the carbine to match.

If that is not your concern, then pretty much any 9mm pistol will do; find one that you like. I will break from the oft-stated advice to buy what feels best in your hand, however; I would advise actually shooting them, and see what shoots best for you...as how the pistol feels is not always indicative of how it will perform for you...kind of like buying a car based solely on how the seats feel on your tuchus, if you get my drift.

But, again, welcome to the forum; ask many questions, we have all been where you are now.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Sponsored Links