SBR

This is a discussion on SBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sticks Yes, contrary to what the mainstream media states, it is rather difficult to legally obtain a full auto anything, and certainly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SBR

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Yes, contrary to what the mainstream media states, it is rather difficult to legally obtain a full auto anything, and certainly not cheap.

I smell a troll.
    Are u saying I'm trolling?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Extraclip View Post
    Have you tried the slide fire?? Are thoses pretty fun to shoot?
    Yes, I've tried it and I don't find it enjoyable. I find joy in fast, accurate hits. Unfortunately, even with the best technique possible, the Slidefire throws rounds and in my opinion, is wasting ammo. There's a reason that even Special operations and SWAT only use semi auto (typically) in CQB with 5.56. I'd rather fire four rounds center mass in 1.5 seconds than fire 15 rounds, with only four (or less) impacting center mass in 1.5 seconds.

But, I do know a few guys that really enjoy the Slidefire, it's just not for me and I certainly don't recommend it for really any use. My problem with it is you really can't pull the rifle in tight to your shoulder, you have to push it forward with your support hand while pulling back with your fire control hand.

I'd skip it and just work on shooting as fast as I accurately can. You'll probably find its more enjoyable. This is coming from a guy that spent a lot of time with an MP5. One of the few firearms worth shooting full auto, or in bursts.
    Extraclip likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Yes, I've tried it and I don't find it enjoyable. I find joy in fast, accurate hits. Unfortunately, even with the best technique possible, the Slidefire throws rounds and in my opinion, is wasting ammo. There's a reason that even Special operations and SWAT only use semi auto (typically) in CQB with 5.56. I'd rather fire four rounds center mass in 1.5 seconds than fire 15 rounds, with only four (or less) impacting center mass in 1.5 seconds.

But, I do know a few guys that really enjoy the Slidefire, it's just not for me and I certainly don't recommend it for really any use. My problem with it is you really can't pull the rifle in tight to your shoulder, you have to push it forward with your support hand while pulling back with your fire control hand.

I'd skip it and just work on shooting as fast as I accurately can. You'll probably find its more enjoyable. This is coming from a guy that spent a lot of time with an MP5. One of the few firearms worth shooting full auto, or in bursts.
    Ok so I think I will skip on that as well.. lol and thanks for all the great info man ill post pics up in about 6 months when I'm done with everything I need for sbr thatnks a lot man

No problem. Understand I'm not saying you should not get one, I'm just giving my experience and why I find them less than optimal. Enjoy and post it up when it's done.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Wow 10k just for a sear damn.. yea I'm def not trying to do anything illegal.. looks like I will only have a sbr but I can use the slide fire stock will be the closest I get
    If you want to get really inspired (and depressed), check AutoWeapons.com.

Any reputable Class 3 FFL shop should be able to guide you through the process. In Oregon, I did the tax stamp dance for a shorty shotgun. It was pretty simple. Found one I wanted; made the purchase from the dealer; filled out the paperwork and paid the fee; awaited the filing result; then picked up the gun when the stamp application was approved. Of course, that wasn't the upgrade/refit/conversion process, which is a little different.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    No problem. Understand I'm not saying you should not get one, I'm just giving my experience and why I find them less than optimal. Enjoy and post it up when it's done.
    Yea I know but I'm pretty sure you have more experience I just really got into firearms about 2 years ago I heard the slide was good only to shoot as fun other then that people wouldn't find the effective thanks again buddy

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If you want to get really inspired (and depressed), check AutoWeapons.com.

Any reputable Class 3 FFL shop should be able to guide you through the process. In Oregon, I did the tax stamp dance for a shorty shotgun. It was pretty simple. Found one I wanted; made the purchase from the dealer; filled out the paperwork and paid the fee; awaited the filing result; then picked up the gun when the stamp application was approved. Of course, that wasn't the upgrade/refit/conversion process, which is a little different.
    Thoses were my 2 options Texas or Oregon I choose Texas to be closer to family ...

Sorry all the newbie ?s I was looking up on gunbroker again and came across the full auto sear with pin but there only 30 bucks?? Are they replacement parts for already full auto sears or does it cost a fortune to get that auto sear registered ?? Or what's the seal with that?

Replacement for an existing part. You can't drop one into an AR
    and make it work.

Don't worry about full auto, start looking at suppresors instead. Tons more fun and cheaper.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Replacement for an existing part. You can't drop one into an AR
    and make it work.

Don't worry about full auto, start looking at suppresors instead. Tons more fun and cheaper.
    I thought so... Which kind would you recommend

I shot an AR in 5.56 this past weekend with a slide stock. It was fun for one 30 round magazine, then I just went back to controlled semi auto fire. I'm with Superhouse 15, suppressors are much more interesting to me along with NV scopes and monoculars. I hog hunt a lot and those two items would make it a ton more fun than it already is.

Also, I would recommend looking into getting an NFA gun trust drawn up. Getting a chief LEO to sign off on the forms for NFA items like suppressors, SBR's and such can be a real PIA. With the trust you don't have to have their signature to purchase said items.

Sorry all the newbie ?s I was looking up on gunbroker again and came across the full auto sear with pin but there only 30 bucks?? Are they replacement parts for already full auto sears or does it cost a fortune to get that auto sear registered ?? Or what's the seal with that?
    You cannot have a sear registered, but you can buy a DIAS (drop in auto sear), but it'll cost a huge chunk of change. That will drop into any AR that is compatible.

Having owned full auto (sold my MP5 last year) and being a regular user of a PVS 14 and PVS 7b (night vision), IR illuminators/pointers and suppressors, I find the full auto being the least enjoyable and certainly the least usable of those things.

We regularly hunt hogs and coyotes on my buddy's ranch with NV and suppressors. Always a good time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links