SBR

SBR

This is a discussion on SBR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey fellas I'm new to this site don't know where to navigate to.. anyways I'm moving to the putter Houston Texas area and was wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SBR

Cool SBR

Hey fellas I'm new to this site don't know where to navigate to.. anyways I'm moving to the putter Houston Texas area and was wondering a few things I already have a ar15 pistol and I want to convert it to a full auto rb and was wonder a few things
    1. How hard is it to get
    2. How much does everything cost
    3. What are all the ways legally to own 1
    4. Do they hold your firearm for the whole process
    5. If its approved can it be transfered to someone else if they so the whole process

Thanks in advanced guys

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    This is one of those topics where you need to do your own research using some googlefoo. There are many good resources including of course the ATF themselves. Here is the link to the ATF SBR FAQ page.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

You can start your paperwork and pay the $200 and continue to use the pistol. Once it's approved and returned, have the lower engraved and install the carbine RE and stock. There's a whole subforum on m4carbine dedicated to SBR's. Very helpful info there.

It costs $200. It can be transferred. You can do a trust or personal with a chief LEO signature. The trust can add others otherwise it can only be in your possession. You need permission for it to leave the state, but you can have permission for a full year if you fill it out correctly. You can buy as many short barreled uppers as you want to use on that lower and don't need to notify unless the barrel length change is permanent, but even then it's more of courtesy.
    Extraclip likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Ok thanks dude I'm going to check out the m4 section now... And I looked on google first but still needed a few questions answered and I knew someone helpful wouldn't mind telling me thanks both you guys I think I'm going to do the trust thing is the threw the sheriff or std or something totally diff..?

Quote Originally Posted by Extraclip View Post
    Hey fellas I'm new to this site don't know where to navigate to.. anyways I'm moving to the putter Houston Texas area and was wondering a few things I already have a ar15 pistol and I want to convert it to a full auto rb and was wonder a few things
    1. How hard is it to get
    2. How much does everything cost
    3. What are all the ways legally to own 1
    4. Do they hold your firearm for the whole process
    5. If its approved can it be transfered to someone else if they so the whole process

Thanks in advanced guys
    You cannot legally convert it to full auto, without buying a full auto lower or sear that were registered before 1986. Be prepared to spend around $10K and up for one of those. Short of those options, converting it to full auto can get you 10 years hard time.

Whoa, I COMPLETELY missed the full auto part. That needs to be built in 1986 or earlier and will cost quite a bit, as redbeardsong stated. I bought my MP5 for $16,000. You can buy a Lightning Link or Drop-In Auto Sear that will drop into your current lower, but they will be in excess of $6,000.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Wow 10k just for a sear damn.. yea I'm def not trying to do anything illegal.. looks like I will only have a sbr but I can use the slide fire stock will be the closest I get

16k I guess it cost to play... And I don't see why thoses thing are so expensive lol I think ill just stick the the sbr thanks guys

16k I guess it cost to play... And I don't see why thoses thing are so expensive lol I think ill just stick the the sbr thanks guys
    The reason they are expensive is because any Select fire or Full Auto gun not in Private hands before the cutoff date can not be registered to a private individual,so like anything else only a few transferable guns and a lot of people that would buy one if they were only around $1000,or less since everything is the same on an M16 or AR15 except the FA BCG,Lower Parts parts and Auto Sear
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yea I guess that would make sence since there only a few that can be transfered I looked a few up on gunbroker I seen some going for 25k that's insane lol I would love to have 1 though in my dreams I guess

Yes, contrary to what the mainstream media states, it is rather difficult to legally obtain a full auto anything, and certainly not cheap.

I smell a troll.
    Last edited by JD; September 17th, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Wow 10k just for a sear damn.. yea I'm def not trying to do anything illegal.. looks like I will only have a sbr but I can use the slide fire stock will be the closest I get
    I wouldn't waste my money on that. Full auto is fun at first, but has very little use. It's even less useful when you don't have a solid cheek weld or proper grip, like with the Slidefire.
    kb2wji and Extraclip like this.

^ Exactly. Full auto is fun to say that you own, but for all practical purposes, its a waste. Use a zombie encounter as an example. You know how fast, and inaccurately you will go through a 30 round mag? Controlled semi auto is much more efficient in real world situations.

Methinks the OP is simply in it for bragging rights.
    Extraclip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    ^ Exactly. Full auto is fun to say that you own, but for all practical purposes, its a waste. Use a zombie encounter as an example. You know how fast, and inaccurately you will go through a 30 round mag? Controlled semi auto is much more efficient in real world situations.

Methinks the OP is simply in it for bragging rights.
    Yes and yes bragging rights to my buddy's and they look so fun to shoot but yea I think is be more then happy with just a sbr

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money on that. Full auto is fun at first, but has very little use. It's even less useful when you don't have a solid cheek weld or proper grip, like with the Slidefire.
    Have you tried the slide fire?? Are thoses pretty fun to shoot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links