M1 Carbine for home defense - Page 2

M1 Carbine for home defense

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CaveJohnson Oh goodness I'd LOVE an M1 Garand! That's also a nice gun, but they are referring to the M1 Carbine which ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: M1 Carbine for home defense

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    Oh goodness I'd LOVE an M1 Garand!
    That's also a nice gun, but they are referring to the M1 Carbine which shoots the .30 carbine, whereas the Garand shoots the .30-06.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    That's also a nice gun, but they are referring to the M1 Carbine which shoots the .30 carbine, whereas the Garand shoots the .30-06.
    Oh, shows why I should read and not get giddy when I see M1

Absolutely an M-1 Carbine for home defense! I have a Universal Arms knock off of the real thing that needs extractor repair, but when it was functioning, I kept it handy with a 30 rd mag stuffed in it ready to go.

I LOVE M-1 Carbines and would love to have a dozen of the U.S. Army versions if possible.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Always has been on my wish list of guns... Even if not for practical HD, just to have a cool gun. Good HD usefulness is a bonus! Can you mount any optics? Red Dot?

You wouldn't be the first

Malcolmxm1carbine3gr.gif

You can mount optics but it's not a sturdy arrangement and probably not necessary for the role it plays.

As for ammo, the JSP from Federal, Winchester, and Remington are outrageously priced, and the DPX is worse. Magtech makes runs of 50 round boxes of JSP that run fine in all of my M1s, and are about the same as the cheaper FMJ. Last time Cheaper Than Dirt had it and I bought a few boxes. Get decent surplus mags and plan on actually testing them, don't just load them and stick them in a stock pouch without testing.

Other universal truths about M1s, never shoot Wolf ammo. The only gun I've ever seen it work in was a revolver, and even that was risky. They don't cycle anything semi auto. If you own one, toss the old GI stock pouch and send an email to Olongapo Outfitters. Get a real stock pouch and a shoulder bag too. Actually, if you have a Garand, AR, or AK, or a shotgun you should send them an email. Also don't keep the bayonet mounted with the sheath on, just trust me on this one.

An Inland from 2-44 was my dorm defense and apartment defense gun in college. I tinkered with pistol caliber carbines of various makes but I mostly used the M1 until the age of the AR15. I still have a few and next I need to find a reasonably priced paratrooper stock.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the tip about Olongapo Outfiiters to bad they don't have a 30rd grab and go kit for the M1 carbine, bit I am going to get a shotgun one
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Thanks for the tip about Olongapo Outfiiters to bad they don't have a 30rd grab and go kit for the M1 carbine, bit I am going to get a shotgun one
    +1.. Thanks have bookmarked them

This Underwood from 10-43 does duty as a home defense rifle around here. It's also the "car gun" as it is quite compact and maneuverable inside the passenger compartments of our vehicles, even without a folding stock. It makes lots of trips afield when we take the pickup out to our old family place in the country. Both my wife and I love using the M1 Carbine.

The round's trajectory allows for easy hits out to 200 yards or so. With soft point ammunition the .30 Carbine is hard-hitting and effective at 100 yards. It's a unique cartridge and better than many people give it credit for being.
    pgrass101, pistola and msgt/ret like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    My wife likes to shoot M1 carbine, and it handles like a dream.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I like the M1, but I'd choose a shotty every time over the M1 for home defense.
    Much more versatile in my opinion.
    Fires everything from birdshot to buckshot to slugs. I think it offers a better chance of getting a "hit" on a home invader in the dark.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    You wouldn't be the first

Malcolmxm1carbine3gr.gif
    haha thats one of the first things that pops in my head when i see m1 carbine

VIP Member
    As others have said an M-1 carbine loaded wit JHP or JSP is a great combination for a HD weapon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Nice rifle, Congrats! I would think a bit overkill for HD if you have others present in the house.

If you want to see what a M1 carbine SP can do vs 223 FMJ take a look at a little fun I made last winter.

rigel42 and johnnydollar like this.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links