Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

This is a discussion on Just bought my first AR. Got a question. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like a normal A2 flash suppressor to me....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

Looks like a normal A2 flash suppressor to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Here's a good write up of the difference btwn .223 and 5.56 and their respective chambers. Just shoot .223 until you find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Caliber multi means 5.56 or .223, I'm 90% sure.
    Your 100% wrong.
    Anytime i see a Red/green reflex type scope I can't help but think NC Star,which are not great red dot sights and my experience has been they are ok cheap scopes for paintball but on real firearms won't stand up to the recoil and you will be wondering why tour shots are all over the place and you can't seem to zero the scope.
    As far as the Picatinny rail gas block,I beiieve it is more for attaching either a bipod or a light since it is too far forward to comfortably hold a vertical grip,that is why they started going to free float quad rails for mounting accessories,that way you can attach the vertical grip where it feels the most comfortable and other accessories like lasers etc that will hold a zero.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I couldn't tell you who built it, but the shop I bought it from could have. When I asked the guy who runs the shop about using 5.56 in it, he said to try .223 first, 5.56 is a little hotter. ...
    That is not an answer. That would raise all manner of red flags with me. It's not like a 12ga shooting 2 3/4" trap loads against 3 1/2" magnum slugs. The difference to the shooter from .223 to 5.56 is negligible in a multi cal. barrel.. 5.56 in a .223 barrel is not wise (yes, there are .223 AR barrels out there).

Look for any manufacturer markings/stamps/forgings on the lower, upper receiver, bolt carrier group (pic of that as well - make sure that gas key is staked properly) and barrel. Be nice to know what exactly you have. There could be things that will make a difference down the road if/when you decided to start upgrading your rifle.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
    Your AR-15 will shoot both the 5.56 and the .223 with no problem. Unless it is specifically chambered for the .223 (which I highly doubt) you can shoot either. The only difference between the two is the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures (military 5.56 cases are also slightly thicker than .223 brass).

That's the way I understand it as well... If the AR is specifically chambered for .223 you don't want to shoot 5.56 outa it, but if it's chambered for 5.56 you can shoot all the .223 and 5.56 you want.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Well for what it is worth I went to the website and they do not list any rifle with only a .223 chamber, everything is 5.56, sooooooo with that being said it is probably safe to say it is 5.56 but continue to check until you are satisfied.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Looks like a normal A2 flash suppressor to me.
    I guess so, looked different in the initial pic.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I feel like it should be a simple matter to just call the company. Like someone else did I'm looking at their website right now and it seem's professionally done, and their products appear to be made as well as the next company. I see no .223 caliber guns.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Get the Head Space checked.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    As others said, do not shoot 5.56 until you make sure it's a 5.56. There's not really any easy/free way I know of to find out other than talking to the people you bought it from, if they can't supply the answer I would never give them my business again, until then just use .223. Nice looking rifle, enjoy it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Thanks for the continued input guys, I called the armorer and got my answer. It's a .223. But he said I could convert it to a 5.56 anytime I wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Look for any manufacturer markings/stamps/forgings on the lower, upper receiver, bolt carrier group (pic of that as well - make sure that gas key is staked properly) and barrel. Be nice to know what exactly you have. There could be things that will make a difference down the road if/when you decided to start upgrading your rifle.
    Here's the gas key staking...

From what I've read I might need to have a go at it to secure it a little better.

As for the rest of the rifle, I'm having a hard time figuring out what I have, exactly. The upper receiver has no markings other than a square which I found indicates it came from Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises. The bolt carrier similarly has no markings except for "MM" which I was unable to locate on google search. The bolt is stamped with an M.

Included magazine is a nice USGI-spec mag from Okay Industries.

Sight is a Target Sports Tactical red/green dot. Seems to work well but won't know until it is used in practice.

Stock is a 6 position unit from UTG Pro. Works well. Trigger is unknown but it is metal and has a very clean break. It is slightly heavier than the trigger on my AK but has absolutely zero creep. Barrel brand is unknown but it has a 1:9 twist rate and a nice finish. The rifle has M4 feed ramps. A2 flash hider also.

I should have asked the brands of these things from the armorer but didn't think about it at the time. Altogether though I really like the rifle and I believe I'll get lots of good service out of it.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

If you are only going to shoot 500 rounds a year at the range, then enjoy it.

If you are planning on shooting more, taking a carbine class or three, and relying on this for a home defense weapon, I would recommend cutting your losses now, sell it/trade it and upgrade to a Colt, BCM, or PSA - all three of which can be had in the same configuration that you have (except it will be multi cal, HP and MPI tested barrel and BCG), made of top tier parts for $800 - $1100. The PSA Patrol Rifle package for $1200 will get you a $400 Aimpoint Pro with it.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

MJK
    Many info sources on 5.56 vs .223 are available; here is an extract from Wiki:

" While the 5.56mm NATO and .223 Remington cartridges and chamberings are very similar, they are not identical.

While there is a myth that 5.56 NATO cases are thicker and hence have less capacity than commercial .223 cases, this has been shown to be false. Each brand of case and each manufacturing lot has a slightly different case capacity; 5.56 NATO and .223 commercial cases tend to have nearly identical case capacity when measured using the water test. [6] The NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. NATO EPVAT test barrels made for 5.56mm NATO measure chamber pressure at the case mouth, as opposed to the location used by the United States civil standards organization SAAMI. The piezoelectric sensors or transducers NATO and SAAMI use to conduct the actual pressure measurements also differ. This difference in measurement method accounts for upwards of 137.9 megapascals (20,000 psi) difference in pressure measurements. This means the NATO EPVAT maximum service pressure of 430 megapascals (62,000 psi) for 5.56mm NATO, is reduced by SAAMI to 379.21 megapascals (55,000 psi) for .223 Remington. [7] In contrast to SAAMI, the other main civil standards organization C.I.P. defines the maximum service and proof test pressures of the .223 Remington cartridge equal to the 5.56mm NATO.

The 5.56mm NATO chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chamber, has a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 Remington chambering, known as SAAMI chamber, is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure. To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber (Bill Wylde) [8] or the ArmaLite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56mm NATO and .223 Remington equally well. The dimensions and leade of the .223 Remington minimum C.I.P. chamber also differ from the 5.56mm NATO chamber specification.

Using commercial .223 Remington cartridges in a 5.56mm NATO chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223 Remington chambered gun due to the longer leade. [9] Using 5.56mm NATO mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223 Remington chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice. [10][11] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56mm NATO, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56mm NATO."
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    If you are only going to shoot 500 rounds a year at the range, then enjoy it.

If you are planning on shooting more, taking a carbine class or three, and relying on this for a home defense weapon, I would recommend cutting your losses now, sell it/trade it and upgrade to a Colt, BCM, or PSA - all three of which can be had in the same configuration that you have (except it will be multi cal, HP and MPI tested barrel and BCG), made of top tier parts for $800 - $1100. The PSA Patrol Rifle package for $1200 will get you a $400 Aimpoint Pro with it.
    @ OP: What did you pay for your AR? I'm wondering because I'm beginning to think you've been taken to the cleaners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links