Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

This is a discussion on Just bought my first AR. Got a question. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 380ACP Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I can tell you: I pulled the handguards again just to be sure, no ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

Response to .223 vs. 5.56 Nato

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I can tell you:

I pulled the handguards again just to be sure, no markings.

Also checked the gunbuilder's website, found one that was very close but I can tell right off that my barrel is not the same as the barrel on the pictured gun. Mine has an indented ring in front of the front sight mount location.

Here's a pic:

Like I said, not sure if the front pistol grip is staying. It feels good but looks kind of weird.

I couldn't tell you who built it, but the shop I bought it from could have. When I asked the guy who runs the shop about using 5.56 in it, he said to try .223 first, 5.56 is a little hotter.

It's not a huge deal, I really like this little M4. But I would like it to be able to shoot the widely available 5.56 just so you know...in case...

EDIT: Also, no manuals. I wish!

There is a difference between the .223 round and the 5.56 NATO round used in military rifles. The 5.56 round is designed for higher pressures than a .223, which means a rifle designed to fire a 5.56 can fire a .223, but if designed for a .223 the 5.56 may cause damage to the weapon and is unsafe. You should have the weapon verified before risking yourself or your investment.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    What Timmy said!

UTG furniture... Maybe this UTG Pro is the higher quality line that I had heard they might be coming out with, but UTG is generally junk.

The Target Sports Red/Green dot Sight is a $40.00 airsoft sight. It may last a while on a .556/.223 but I wouldn't bet my life on it.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Hi all,

Per the armorer the bolt and barrel were MPI tested. I paid $869 after tax, before it was maybe $750 or a little under.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I am confused here. In your first post you said your gun was built by Chattahoochee Gun Works. Yet you say there are no markings on your gun? Was there a manual that went with it? Possibly most importantly, is this gun supposed to be NEW or USED? Here is the info from their website about their M4 style gun, which looks most similar to yours.

CGW-15 S-16
    ITEM # R-15 S-16

16" Cold Hammer Forged Lightweight Profile 5.56mm Barrel
    1 in 7" twist
    Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Finish
    Mid length gas system
    1⁄228 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
    Fixed front sight base, F marked
    Flat-top upper receiver with Detachable carrying handle
    Standard M4 type Mid-length handguards
    Shot peened and MP tested bolt
    Auto carrier with properly staked carrier key
    Forged Charging Handle
    A2 Flash Suppressor
    CGW-15 Forged MIL-SPEC Lower Receiver
    H Buffer
    6 Position Collapsible Carbine stock
    Trigger - MIL- SPEC trigger group
    Sights - Front Post / Rear Aperture
    One 30 rd mag included
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I am confused here. In your first post you said your gun was built by Chattahoochee Gun Works. Yet you say there are no markings on your gun? Was there a manual that went with it? Possibly most importantly, is this gun supposed to be NEW or USED? Here is the info from their website about their M4 style gun, which looks most similar to yours.

CGW-15 S-16
    ITEM # R-15 S-16

16" Cold Hammer Forged Lightweight Profile 5.56mm Barrel
    1 in 7" twist
    Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Finish
    Mid length gas system
    1⁄228 TPI (Threads Per Inch)
    Fixed front sight base, F marked
    Flat-top upper receiver with Detachable carrying handle
    Standard M4 type Mid-length handguards
    Shot peened and MP tested bolt
    Auto carrier with properly staked carrier key
    Forged Charging Handle
    A2 Flash Suppressor
    CGW-15 Forged MIL-SPEC Lower Receiver
    H Buffer
    6 Position Collapsible Carbine stock
    Trigger - MIL- SPEC trigger group
    Sights - Front Post / Rear Aperture
    One 30 rd mag included
    I'm pretty sure the OP got a parts gun. The lower probably came from Chattahoochee Gun Works but the rest, well who knows. No manual, no markings, UTG furniture and the gun shop asking the "armorer" questions all adds up to some local guy building rifles from whatever parts he can get. Or Chattahoochee Gun Works is a real fly by night operation, I just don't know.

I thought by law they are required to add caliber markings on the barrel.

Sorry for the confusion. atctimmy is correct, the upper and lower reciever are Chattahoochie Gun Works components and are very nice. The BCG and barrel were sourced elsewhere.

With the good lower and upper I think when the time comes I'll upgrade the barrel (to 5.56) and BCG, along with the stock and red dot and call it a day. For now I'll just enjoy shooting .223. My AK is my go-to rifle when I need one currently.
    atctimmy likes this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have to question any company using airsoft components (UTG) on real firearms. That concerns me. They should supply a list of exactly what components were used. For reference, the square forge marked uppers are used by BCM and Noveske as well as others I'm sure.

When the time comes and you rebarrel it and change out the BCG, you'll know what you have as that's the heart of the rifle. Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be fine for your intended use.
    remington79 likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. atctimmy is correct, the upper and lower reciever are Chattahoochie Gun Works components and are very nice. The BCG and barrel were sourced elsewhere.

With the good lower and upper I think when the time comes I'll upgrade the barrel (to 5.56) and BCG, along with the stock and red dot and call it a day. For now I'll just enjoy shooting .223. My AK is my go-to rifle when I need one currently.
    I stand by my original recommendation. You will be money ahead. You are turning a $500 rifle [being generous] into a $1300 rifle (with RDS) presuming you can get the barrel, BCG, stock, and optic at a smokin' deal, and your actual end cost is going to be near $1500. Seriously, sell it, take the depreciation hit, and buy a complete known quality rifle.

If you don't like the standard mil issue front sight post on the base model Colt, BCM or PSA (as examples), they are easy to turn into a low profile gas block, then you can slip on a high end free float tube or quad rail for the flat top appearance for less than $200. Another $120 for some Troy BUIS and $400 for an Aimpoint PRO (if you don't go with PSA).
    remington79 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Occasionally PSA has their $1,000 deal that includes the Aimpoint PRO. Otherwise it's $1,200 if I'm not mistaken.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

PSA 16'' Hammer Forged M4A1 Patrol Rifle Package is on sale this weekend at psa for $1000. I just ordered it do to the good reviews on this site. My first ar.
    scgunlover1 and atctimmy like this.

To be able to answer your question about the barrel you would have to call us with the SN of the receiver. If we did not build it we cannot answer your question unfortunately.

Looking at the picture it appears to be one of our Gen I lower receivers. We have sold lower receivers and many people have built rifles using our receivers.

Our rifles we build in the shop have barrels properly marked with the caliber and twist rate.

The barrels we finish (Chattahoochee Gun Works) are marked at the end with 223 Wylde 1-8.

Here are a couple more companies that use the Wylde chamber and why they also choose to do so.

LaRue Tactical 5.56 Stealth Sniper System LT011 | LaRue Tactical

.223 Wylde-Wilson Combat

If Chattahoochee Gun Works builds a rifle or upper with a Chrome lined barrel for those who request it; we use only barrels that are properly marked with caliber and twist rate.

Our markings are at the end of the barrel where it easy to identify or on the right side under the forearm back near the barrel nut.

Hope this helps

V/r
    Chattahoochee Gun Works

cgunworks, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. I fully support the Wylde chamber and it's benefits.BCM uses a Wylde in their stainless barrels, if I'm not mistaken.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links