Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

This is a discussion on Just bought my first AR. Got a question. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yup my first. I want to post some pictures and stuff, but I'm too new to AR's and their individual components to really tell you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

Just bought my first AR. Got a question.

Yup my first. I want to post some pictures and stuff, but I'm too new to AR's and their individual components to really tell you guys much about it, other than it is built by a local gun works shop named Chattahoochee Gun Works that seems to be known locally for building really high quality ARs. Mine has a 6 position buttstock and a red/green dot sight that works really nicely. I've added on a front pistol grip but I don't know if I'll keep it. It's a very high quality piece, and I'll post pics here in a bit. I know I sound noobish but I really don't know enough about AR's to go into specifics. Unlike other AR's I handled, I picked this one up and it clicked...just had to have it.

My question is this: I originally bought it with the (false) understanding that 5.56 and .223 are the same thing. Well, like any other gun I buy, I brought it home and read further in depth than I did originally before buying it only to find out that they are not. Problem is, I can't find a caliber marking anywhere on this gun. A .223 or a 5.56 definitely chamber in this rifle. The lower says "Caliber Multi" but I can find no markings on the barrel or upper receiver. How can I know if it's safe to shoot 5.56 out of?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'll get pics.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    If you can't find any markings on the weapon, contact the manufacturer. Serial number should ID what they built.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Have you removed the handguards and checked under there too? I know with the Spikes rifle the barrel markings are all the way back near the upper receiver, and are covered by the handguards.

Administrator
    Try going to their website and see if your exact model/varient is listed there.

http://prostores4.megawebservers.com...Categories.bok
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Call the local guy who built it.

Caliber multi means 5.56 or .223, I'm 90% sure.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by FLArmadillo View Post
    Caliber multi means 5.56 or .223, I'm 90% sure.
    Incorrect, lowers are marked "multi" for build purposes. That way I can build a reciever into a 9mm, a 5.56, or a 6.5, or anything else that can work with the magwell configuration.
    There should be a marking somewhere on the barrel, check under the handguards. Check with your local shop that built it as well, or, do you know where the upper came from? Was it a complete upper, or did they assemble it themselves?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Didn't it have any paperwork with it? Look in the book my friend.

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I can tell you:

I pulled the handguards again just to be sure, no markings.

Also checked the gunbuilder's website, found one that was very close but I can tell right off that my barrel is not the same as the barrel on the pictured gun. Mine has an indented ring in front of the front sight mount location.

Here's a pic:

Like I said, not sure if the front pistol grip is staying. It feels good but looks kind of weird.

I couldn't tell you who built it, but the shop I bought it from could have. When I asked the guy who runs the shop about using 5.56 in it, he said to try .223 first, 5.56 is a little hotter.

It's not a huge deal, I really like this little M4. But I would like it to be able to shoot the widely available 5.56 just so you know...in case...

EDIT: Also, no manuals. I wish!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

The "indented ring" in front of the front sight location is actually a barrel cut on M-4 profile barrels, that allows military M-4's to have M-203's mounted underneath the barrel.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Incorrect, lowers are marked "multi" for build purposes. That way I can build a reciever into a 9mm, a 5.56, or a 6.5, or anything else that can work with the magwell configuration.
    Now I know. Not much of an AR guy.lol
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    Looking at their website I don't see any rifles specifically chambered for .223 Remington, just 5.56 - That's probably a good clue that your new rifle is a 5.56. Also, although I'm sure they exist, I don't think I've actually ever seen a .223 AR in person... At least not in the last decade :)

In any case, nice looking rifle man.... Welcome to the AR family!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Your AR-15 will shoot both the 5.56 and the .223 with no problem. Unless it is specifically chambered for the .223 (which I highly doubt) you can shoot either. The only difference between the two is the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures (military 5.56 cases are also slightly thicker than .223 brass).

Lead Moderator
    I would make sure you have a 5.56 chamber before shooting any. With the higher pressure round you could have issues if it is a .223 chamber. Also you could ask for a spec sheet for your rifle. This would get you more general info on what was used for the build. The forward mounted vertical grip seems odd mounted to the gas block. I would be interested to know what muzzle device that is as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all of your input! Still trying to figure it out. I believe the gun shop told me they could put me in touch with the armorer.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I would make sure you have a 5.56 chamber before shooting any. With the higher pressure round you could have issues if it is a .223 chamber. Also you could ask for a spec sheet for your rifle. This would get you more general info on what was used for the build. The forward mounted vertical grip seems odd mounted to the gas block. I would be interested to know what muzzle device that is as well.
    If it were an AK I could tell you...but as it's not, I can't, other than to say it appears to be designed to limit the upward rise of the rifle during firing. Maybe these pictures will help:

I agree with you about the forward grip. I ended up removing it. I'm sure there are a multitude of handguards with rails on the bottom for foregrips should I want to do that. I'll save the gas block for lights and such if I decide to mount them.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo
    In any case, nice looking rifle man.... Welcome to the AR family!
    Thanks man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links