SCAR 17 and ammo choice (Did I make a mistake)

This is a discussion on SCAR 17 and ammo choice (Did I make a mistake) within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought 1000 rounds of .308 from BulkAmmo.com and after sleeping on it I found myself wishing I would of paid more attention to the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JD
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 2 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: SCAR 17 and ammo choice (Did I make a mistake)

SCAR 17 and ammo choice (Did I make a mistake)

I bought 1000 rounds of .308 from BulkAmmo.com and after sleeping on it I found myself wishing I would of paid more attention to the description. It reads like this .... "7.62x51mm Nato Long Rang XM118 Ammo by Lake City Loose Packed - 175gr HPBT" .... It's the Long Rang XM118 that I'm not sure about. Will that hurt my gun?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Nope, it should be good to go.

Thank you JD
    Yeah, the light is in my toolbox, it's out :)
    The Burris had the most magnification at 3X that I could find, with my eyes I need all the help I can get .... what would you put on?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    Thank you JD
    Yeah, the light is in my toolbox, it's out :)
    The Burris had the most magnification at 3X that I could find, with my eyes I need all the help I can get .... what would you put on?
    Sorry about that, at first look it looked like an addition red dot, most magnifiers don't have a battery compartment, but apparently that Burris does.

Heck, no... that's pretty good stuff. Let us know how it works out for you!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The answer to your question has been answered. Your ammo of choice is perfect for such a rifle. Unless you wanna go with some high end stuff that cost a dollar a round.

My experience with XM118 ammunition has almost alway's been very good, accuracy wise. It's what I feed the rifle in my avatar photo. Most of the time.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Nothing is going to hurt that rifle. I've fired all kinds of ammo through mine. There are certain loads it likes better than others for accuracy, but they all function and nothing will damage the rifle. Enjoy it.

As long as you're running a quality optic, you can run any magnifier. The only difference there will be quality of the glass. I'll eventually pick up an S&B 1-4, but for the past two years (give or take) I've had mine set up with an Aimpoint T1 and Ampoint 3x or an ACOG TA31.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Sorry about that, at first look it looked like an addition red dot, most magnifiers don't have a battery compartment, but apparently that Burris does.
    If you're talking about the piece on top, it's likely to dial the angle of the glass so you can center the dot in the magnifier, which in no way affects zero.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Welcome OP, nice rifle!

Administrator
    Lake City - Some of the best, highest quality ammunition available.
    Nice rifle.
    HardBall likes this.

VIP Member
    That ammo is no good!!! You need to send it to me for proper disposal. I'll take care of it for ya. : )
    HardBall likes this.

A little SCAR H/red dot/magnifier love... I should have held out for FDE like my L, but I'll eventually paint it.

HardBall and johnnydollar like this.

Just bought the 17s rifle and not sure if I want to shoot it. Any insight on gun value if not shot compared to shot if the gun like the scar is banned?

NIB never fired will be worth more than a used gun,but if they get banned then the price will definitely rise, it depends on how long you want to wait and how bad somebody wants it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckj View Post
    Just bought the 17s rifle and not sure if I want to shoot it. Any insight on gun value if not shot compared to shot if the gun like the scar is banned?
    Shoot it. When I buy from a private seller and they tell me they never shot the gun I view it as a red flag.

Guns are a little like cars. Once you take them home nobody considers them new anymore.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links