Question about AR optics

This is a discussion on Question about AR optics within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im new to the AR world and am looking at a colt 6920. I have not handled one yet but have a question. If I ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RKM
  • 1 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By Doodle

Thread: Question about AR optics

Question about AR optics

Im new to the AR world and am looking at a colt 6920. I have not handled one yet but have a question. If I mount an optic will the front iron sight need to be removed. It looks in pictures like it would be in the field of view.

2. Remove Ads

Depending on what type of optic, but typically no, you will not need to remove it. I run an Aimpoint with or without the 3x and an ACOG 4x32 with both folding and fixed front irons with no issues at all. Of course with magnified optics we need a folding rear, but a fixed front is good to go.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Funny whenever a question shows up on this sub forum and Jon has already posted, my first thought is, "well I'm not going to have anything useful to add, oh well may as well open the thread to see what Jon had to say about it." One of these days someone's going to ask about submarine nuclear propulsion... At least I can know the answer and just say I can't talk about it.

RKM
    Any magnification 3x or more, the front sight post doesn't interfere, it's just a faint, hardly noticeable blur. With 0x, like a red dot, shooting both eyes open, you don't even see the front sight post. Some people just prefer to have a clearer view. I use a fixed front sight post. However, I wouldn't mind having a folding front sight, for a cleaner sight picture, the robustness, and that fact that it's free to keep the front sight post is very nice. Folding sights are expensive.... good ones that is. Especially folding sight/gas blocks.

When I put my 4x magnifier behind my red dot, I don't even see the front sight post. It's too blurry to tell it's even there.

Nope, no need to remove it, especially for the lower power optics.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

MJBLAT, you need to pay close attention to the mount for your optic. I myself slapped on an optic that I had purchased around 15 yrs. ago and it had a low profile fixed base. and had to get a 1/2 inch riser rail from midway to solve that problem. But you can purchase optics that are made for the AR platform, and not need a riser at all.
    david

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Funny whenever a question shows up on this sub forum and Jon has already posted, my first thought is, "well I'm not going to have anything useful to add, oh well may as well open the thread to see what Jon had to say about it." One of these days someone's going to ask about submarine nuclear propulsion... At least I can know the answer and just say I can't talk about it.
    Just keep your TEAV in the green!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Just keep your TEAV in the green!
    Spoken T Ave but of course. My favorite part was when I called out the report that is in my signature during a fast recovery startup... A frsu is nerd heaven.

Edit: a little explanation for the non nerds in the room... A frsu is a very dynamic reactor startup conducted at sea to recover from an emergency reactor shutdown (scram). Think of a normal reactor startup as tickling your pet dragon awake... A frsu is like raising your pimp hand and making your pet dragon your... Well you get the idea

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Spoken T Ave but of course. My favorite part was when I called out the report that is in my signature during a fast recovery startup... A frsu is nerd heaven.

Edit: a little explanation for the non nerds in the room... A frsu is a very dynamic reactor startup conducted at sea to recover from an emergency reactor shutdown (scram). Think of a normal reactor startup as tickling your pet dragon awake... A frsu is like raising your pimp hand and making your pet dragon your... Well you get the idea
    Man, I don't know why I ever joined this gun talk forum. I need more navy talk in my life......I'm outta here! : )
    QKShooter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Man, I don't know why I ever joined this gun talk forum. I need more navy talk in my life......I'm outta here! : )
    sorry sorry
    atctimmy likes this.

SCAR 17s

Just bought the gun and two mags. And bought 500 rounds if .308. Not sure if I want to shoot it because of the possible gun laws to come next year. Will the gun loose value if I shoot it. And I absolutely love the gun. Would like to hold on to it. But if they do ban them then it's worth possible double?

With a variable power scope it will obstruct the FOV. Most variable power scopes/optics are being run on SPR type carbines/AR15's and AR10's. Flip up sights such as the Troy's are generally the preferred option. This would require a low profile gas block under the RIS or RAS style system.

As has been mentioned, the parallax free optics such as an Aimpoint red dot or Eotech will serve you well on a carbine length gas system AR platform. Yes, you'll see the front sight post but it's not an obscure FOV. It will be very clear through the FOV of the optic. Some people do in fact co-witness these optics with their BUIS's. Not my cup of tea, the whole co-witness thing, but it's your preference.

Hope this helps. YMMV
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Links