New AR Build Questions

This is a discussion on New AR Build Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have decided that my next gun will be an AR 15. Being that I am very particular about everything I buy I have ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peckman28

Thread: New AR Build Questions

New AR Build Questions

So I have decided that my next gun will be an AR 15. Being that I am very particular about everything I buy I have decided to build my own. The only problem I face now is that I know absolutely nothing about building an Ar. I have been doing lots of research but I am having trouble finding straight answers on a few questions.

1. If I buy a stripped lower will any kit work with any lower ?

2. Will any lower fit any upper ?

3. Are there any good books or manuals out there to aid in this or am I just as well off to figure it out on line ?

Thats about all I can come up with for now but If I get some good feedback on this post I may keep it going all the way through the build. I will most likely be ordering the lower in the next week or so and hope to have it all done in the months to come ( cash flow permitting ).

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Ads

Do visit ar15.com for a wealth of info on ARs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

M4carbine.net also has a wealth of info.

Do a search here on DC, on AR15 stuff and pay special attention to the posts by jonconsiglio.

If you send him a pm he'll be able to explain what works and what doesn't.

The answer to your question is "usually"

If you get good parts from a reliable manufacturer, then yeah they'll all fit together.

What is your motive for building? If you're doing it just cause you want to, that's great. But if you're doing it to save money... there may be better options.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks for the info guys. I am just doing the build because I want to not to save money.

VIP Member
    You can buy a high quality AR these days from PSA for about $750. I'd suggest buying one before you build one.

It's not that you can't build one if you really want a project, it's just that you can buy a good rifle for about the same or even less money than you can build one. Once you add in the cost of shipping to all of the parts you buy it often exceeds the price of a full gun.

On the other hand, some guys are very patient and wait for a year or two to get just the right sale price on all of the parts they want. They do save money that way but it takes months and months and lots of patience.

My first rifle was a custom assembly. Money was not an issue, ergo I landed near $3k after it was all said and done. Its the optis and other fluff that adds up real quick. Heck my upper cost more than most complete entry level rifles. Having said that, I do have a rifle that I can shoot 1.4" MOA with reload M193 (2-3 MOA ammo) and am working on a 18" DMR this fall. There goes another $2.5k.

You can do it cheaper if you catch the sales and do a lot of shopping around. The only thing that you just about can't do cheaper is a complete upper. The tooling you need will push you over the edge. Stripped quality lower under $100 (if you can find them), Grip and LPK for another $60, Stock and receiver tube for $100, and a complete 16" upper for $500. 4 Mags, rear sight, sling, Red dot optic, weapon light, maybe a forward grip if you feel the need, well there is another $700 out the door.

Just be careful with the lowers, receiver extensions, and LPKs. There is "Commercial" and "Mil Spec" and they are not compatible, as well as small and large diameter pins.

Brownells
    G&R Tactical
    PSA
    BCM
    Outdoor Gear Barn
    Botac
    Primary Arms
    Gunbroker
    Ebay
    and the for sale sections in your various forums.

Be careful, $15-$20 is the difference between airsoft junk, and rugged quality. Learn what the quality brands are and stick with them. Avoid Tapco, UTG and others of the like.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    [QUOTE Be careful, $15-$20 is the difference between airsoft junk, and rugged quality. Learn what the quality brands are and stick with them. Avoid Tapco, UTG and others of the like.[/QUOTE]

True good advice. Cheaping out on AR parts is the biggest mistake many make. You will just end up buying twice.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Do any of you guys have any experience with Spikes Tactical ? I have read some good things and have found some good deals online. Thanks again for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by zombieslayer View Post
    Do any of you guys have any experience with Spikes Tactical ? I have read some good things and have found some good deals online. Thanks again for all the info.
    I have a Spikes Tactical M4LE rifle. It is a very solid gun and would make a good first AR. It has just about all the durability features you want, and as you've noticed, isn't terribly expensive. For the price, it's hard (though maybe not impossible) to do better. That being said, when I bought it they were going for $800 and I couldn't find a Colt 6920 for under $1200. Now, the Spikes is like $850 and Colts can be had for maybe $100-150 more. Had that been the case then, I'd have gotten the Colt.
    atctimmy likes this.

Lead Moderator
    AR15.com is great for how to videos of different parts installation. Easy to understand and better than pictograms or such.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links