recommend me a l.e.r. scope

This is a discussion on recommend me a l.e.r. scope within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ok, i need scope for my mosin. not looking to break the bank. needs to be long eye relief, preferably variable power. i will be ...

Thread: recommend me a l.e.r. scope

recommend me a l.e.r. scope

ok, i need scope for my mosin. not looking to break the bank. needs to be long eye relief, preferably variable power. i will be buying from amazon. there are 273 results for prime eligible offers. at least recommend me a brand or something...i haven't bought a scope...well, ever. all my rifles have iron sights.

here is the search results:

Amazon.com: long eye relief scope - Prime Eligible / Rifle Scopes / Gun Scopes: Sports & Outdoors
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

2. Remove Ads

wow where is everyone today?

I would recommend Kalinka Optics for your scope choices. Mounting is a whole 'nother matter. The Mosins were not designed to mount one - unless you actually got a retired sniper rifle with the receiver drilled.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Are you sure you need a Long Eye Relief scope? You may need a Intermediate Eye Relief or 'Scout' scope. LERs usually have 15" eye relief, Scout versions are usually closer to 10". LERs are more for handgun use, where the IERs are for mounting forward on a rifle.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Molon Labe

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    ok, i need scope for my mosin. not looking to break the bank. needs to be long eye relief, preferably variable power.
    Some questions:

1. A what distances will you need scoped visibility? 50yds, 150yds, 300yds, 600yds, farther?
    2. Is clarity of image crucial; are you willing to pay for that?
    3. What's your max budget? (Uncertain what "not breaking the bank" means to you.)
    4. What's the measured distance from your eye to the scope, on the gun you'll be using? IOW, are you certain that a LER scope is required, in your application?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

LER scope to deal with the standard straight Mosin bolt. Could buy a custom bent bolt and get a standard scope.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

ok guys, i removed the iron sights. so i will be using the original 3/8" dovetail. measured eye relief is 8-10". no i am not doing the bent bolt...yet.

honestly, i am looking at this:

Amazon.com: Aim Sports 2-7X32 Pistol Scope with Rings: Sports & Outdoors

can't see spending a boatload on a l.e.r. (or i.e.r.) scope for a 100$ rifle. i figure if it is junk (most likely) i will bend the bolt and tap the reciever. that way i can buy a good scope that will be useful elsewhere.

thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I built a MN M38 scout concept rifle a few years ago. I can tell you from experience that with extended eye relief scopes anything more than 2.5X is not needed. The best EER scope for the money (sub $200) is the Nikon IMO. If you can find a Darrell's scout rifle mount buy it. The mount for the scope is key with the scout rifle setup on the MN because of the heavy recoil. The scope mount replaces the rear sight leaf. The B-Square mounts are cheap soft steel and generally suck.

This scope in the picture is a Konus 2.5x which I replaced with the Nikon Monarch 2x. I can hit the vitals on a dear sized target out to 150 yards with this setup but it really shines at the 75-100 yard range which is what these scout (bush) rifles are really setup to do. generally the greater the eye relief of the scope, narrower is the field of view of the scope. So really anything more than 2.5X is a waste IMO. A low power EER scope provides an inherently greater field of view than higher power scopes. A high power scout scope would have such a small field of view as to be relatively useless in the field.

Here is a good write up on EER scopes and I agree with most of the assertions here concerning these scopes.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/scout_scopes.htm

Specs:
    Mosin Nagant M38 (1943)
    ATI stock
    Scout Mount sight base
    Konus (EER) 2-8x scope (replaced with Nikon 2x)
    Metal and Stock Duracoat finish
    Matte black and OD green
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If you are good with open sights you may want to try these.

Smith-Sights: Adjustable, high-impact sighting systems for your Mosin-Nagant!

They are easy to correct for shorter range. and easy to see. DR

Another vote here for the Nikon 2x EER. (BTW, Pirate, that's a nice-lookin' set-up. Well done! )
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I can tell you from experience that with extended eye relief scopes anything more than 2.5X is not needed. The best EER scope for the money (sub $200) is the Nikon IMO. If you can find a Darrell's scout rifle mount buy it.
    On a Marlin 1894 .44mag lever-action rifle, I've had a Leupold FX-II 2.5x28mm Scout (EER) scope (with ~9" relief), with a mounting similar to the Darrell's scout mount. Wonderful combination.

Though, in the case of the Mosin and it's vastly more-powerful rifled cartridge (at least as compared to the .44mag lever), if far greater distances are being targeted then the utility of a greater-power scope becomes obvious. Depends on the distances required, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links