Which Choice for New AR

This is a discussion on Which Choice for New AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71978 http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=106689 http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...endations.html Sent from my Galaxy S2...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which Choice for New AR

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    Are these the same design as the other AR and accept the same parts and accessories?
    The only thing that is different about the Sport is it has no dust cover or forward assist which is things you really don't need and it has a melonite barrel that is just as good or better than chrome lined. It is by no means a battle rifle but is great for hunting and plinking. Here is my Sport:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

You might want to also check out the RRA Tactical Operator 2,,, Shoots everything I feed it,,,trigger is unbelievable,,,Check out some of the reviews as there are quite a few of them on youtube...Good luck..I researched for about 6 months on all forums, reviews etc....Spoke with guys at the lgs..for about a grand this is one sweet rifle
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I notice on this and other sites, that a lot of people really like the Colts. I see the 6920 being mentioned a lot, what about the 6940? the same but better sights?

Colt is almost a status symbol (like owning a Harley). Nothing wrong, they are the top dog, and at a good price.

RRA (Rock River Arms) - medium to low end - money better spent elsewhere. RA (Ranier Arms) upper end.
    munch520 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Colt is almost a status symbol (like owning a Harley). Nothing wrong, they are the top dog, and at a good price.

I would not go that far, Colt's are OK and a good journeyman's rifle, and at the prices I see for it a decent value. I see three price tiers, $1000 and under, $1000 to $2000 and $2000 and up. Its all what you want to spend. Colt is probably the best of the lower priced models, but then move up to Ranier, DD and then one more level to Noveske and LaRue.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I would not go that far, Colt's are OK and a good journeyman's rifle, and at the prices I see for it a decent value. I see three price tiers, $1000 and under, $1000 to $2000 and $2000 and up. Its all what you want to spend. Colt is probably the best of the lower priced models, but then move up to Ranier, DD Lewis Machine and Tool and then one more level to Noveske and LaRue.
    There, fixed it for you
    oneshot likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    Are these the same design as the other AR and accept the same parts and accessories?
    The M&P15 Sport is a mil-spec based rifle. I changed out the "furniture" on my Sport with MagPul mil-spec equipment. Got a CMMG 22LR bolt for it and have shot 1000s of rounds of both 556/223/22LR through it with no issues.

Next AR will be a mil-spec lower and then a Palmetto State Armory kit. You get the benefit of Colt-like quality at the price of a Sport.

Thanks for the correction Padre. Good point.

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    To the OP: All AR-15's are "based" off either the M16 or M4 platform, and all of them have roughly 100% parts commonality within the M16 or M4 subcategory. The reason folks keep talking about the Colt LE6920 is because that is the standard by which all others get measured, that is not to say it is the absolute best, but it's the standard. You may also have heard the term "milspec", that is tossed around to describe the quality of the parts used, particularly the bolt carrier group and barrel. By quality I mean the steel they are made off, testing methods, and many other particulars. What you need to read is the "Chart", which is an AR guide about what to look for and what popular companies put in their AR's, it can be found on M4carbine.net. Just google search some keywords.

Popular brands that generally meet the basic standards are:
    Colt, BCM, Spikes, DD, Stag, Olympic (I believe they do), PSA, LMT, and others. The little I have heard about Windham Weaponry suggests they are pretty good as well, better than their old owner Bushmaster.

I am by no means an expert at all, but a relatively short time ago I went through the same process of figuring out what the heck everyone was talking about when AR's were being discussed. I currently have a LE6920, and love it.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I'm in the market also and have looked at several different brands and trying to learn more about the guns, configurations, lots of options makes my head spin. I'm leaning toward the M&P but may slide toward the Colt, but still open to more research. Just not ready to make the move yet. What is the side push button behind the bolt on the AR?
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Forward assist to help seat a round if needed. I have never had to use it yet.

The M&P Sport is hardly mil spec, it doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist. While some may not feel the need for them, the lack thereof falls short of military specifications.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88634

Mil-spec info: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/milspec/

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    There is so much disinformation in this thread it's ridiculous.

Colt = Top shelf. The Colt 6920 is exactly the same as the weapon our soldiers carry over seas, except for the semi auto trigger group and a slightly longer barrel. All other makers just copy the methods and the testing in order to measure up to the Colt standard.

@ the guy who said the M&P Sport was a mid tier AR: It is not. The Sport is absolutely 100% a bare bones, bottom rung entry level AR. With that said it is a very good AR in it's price range. It's better than DPMS and others at the bottom. For the weekend plinker it would be the "cheap" gun I would recommend. What it is not, is a mid or upper tier AR.

The truth of the matter is this: If you are in the $800ish price range then you can certainly squeeze a few pennies and get a Colt at around $1000. The other VERY good player at the $1000 price point is BCM. I've owned two BCMs and one S&W M&P15 and my brother has had a Colt for years so I have lots of personal experience with these rifles. So when I say Colt and BCM I'm not just repeating what I've read.

If $800 was my absolute max and I didn't have another penny, I would go with a PSA at $750. PSA is making a solid, well specced rifle at a super price. Is it a Colt? No, but it's pretty dang close. IMO PSA is the best value in AR15s at this time. Nobody comes close.
    Last edited by atctimmy; September 27th, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    There is so much disinformation in this thread it's ridiculous.

Colt = Top shelf. The Colt 6920 is exactly the same as the weapon our soldiers carry over seas, except for the semi auto trigger group and a slightly longer barrel. All other makers just copy the methods and the testing in order to measure up to the Colt standard.

@ the guy who said the M&P Sport was a mid tier AR: It is not. The Sport is absolutely 100% a bare bones, bottom ring entry level AR. With that said it is a very good AR in it's price range. It's better than DPMS and others at the bottom. For the weekend plinker it would be the "cheap" gun I would recommend. What it is not, is a mid or upper tier AR.

The truth of the matter is this: If you are in the $800ish price range then you can certainly squeeze a few pennies and get a Colt at around $1000. The other VERY good player at the $1000 price point is BCM. I've owned two BCMs and one S&W M&P15 and my brother has had a Colt for years so I have lots of personal experience with these rifles. So when I say Colt and BCM I'm not just repeating what I've read.

If $800 was my absolute max and I didn't have another penny, I would go with a PSA at $750. PSA is making a solid, well specced rifle at a super price. Is it a Colt? No, but it's pretty dang close. IMO PSA is the best value in AR15s at this time. Nobody comes close.
    I agree with most of this. One could argue that Colt is simply copying Armalite, where the AR was invented. Also, just because Ford pretty much invented the modern auto assembly line, folks who copied it have done pretty well by the car. I don't think anyone here would agree that a Ford Focus > Porsche or Ferrari.

However, at the price point, Colt is hard to beat. I found in my search that Mil-spec is a fantastic place to start, but it isn't everything. Those specs are arrived at due to the unique uses of the military. Other users may be better served by other spec'd items.

I went with a build for my first AR. It is a PSA lower with RRA lpk, Hogue grip and Ace Skeleton stock. It has an Aero Precision upper receiver (Aero also makes the PSA lower), YHM rifle-length rail guard and YHM lo-pro gas block. The barrel is a 16" SS Centurion with RRA chrome BCG. It's capped off by an A2 flash suppressor that I'm thinking of changing out to a YHM Annihilator Flash Hider. This is quite a bit of rifle for the $1,000 price point. And while it is all pretty much mil-spec (except for the SS barrel, which is pretty fine in its own right), the mixture of parts allowed me to get what I wanted without having to spend the same amount or more on something that wasn't quite right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links