Which Choice for New AR

This is a discussion on Which Choice for New AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've decided to get on of the AR variants. Three that I was looking at were the DPMS $600, Sig Sauer M400 $900, and Colt ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Which Choice for New AR

Which Choice for New AR

I've decided to get on of the AR variants. Three that I was looking at were the DPMS $600, Sig Sauer M400 $900, and Colt M4 $1100. Which one of these would you choose or do you have other suggestions. Also, I was wondering if on the AR variants are the parts are interchangeable or does each company have it's own design. Probably a stupid question but I'm just starting to look at these.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    I'll preface my remarks by saying I do NOT own an AR platform yet, but I'm going to get a Colt. I carried both an M16A1 and later an M4 for my Uncle Sam and those Colts served me well. I also own two Colt 1911's so this 3-gun set,if you will, will go to my paratrooper son one day(hopefully a long time from now!-LOL)
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    What is your budget for the rifle? Probably the first question you need to answer.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Out of those three, with money being no object, the Colt wins hands-down. It is far more durable than either of the other two, though the SIG isn't terrible. The $600 DPMS...well at least the price is about right on it. If you just want a plinker it'll be fine; if you want something that can take some serious use, and is just as much fun out on the range for some casual shooting, the Colt is what you want. The SIG includes a commercial bolt carrier, has an odd barrel profile, and they are pretty new to making the ARs. If you're considering them, I would just cough up a little more and get the (much) better Colt rifle.
    tmoore912 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by khukuri View Post
    I've decided to get on of the AR variants. Three that I was looking at were the DPMS $600, Sig Sauer M400 $900, and Colt M4 $1100. Which one of these would you choose or do you have other suggestions. Also, I was wondering if on the AR variants are the parts are interchangeable or does each company have it's own design. Probably a stupid question but I'm just starting to look at these.
    I'd go with the Sig or Colt. I've seen great reviews for both, and you probably have higher-quality parts in those than the DPMS. The parts are interchangeable, Colt is no longer making its uppers and lowers with weird pin sizes just 'cuz - they use the same size stuff as everybody else.

Look no further: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920

I've actually seen them at Walmart for a comparable price.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

What about Windham and bushmaster. I saw them for $800 and $900. It was strange at Walmart because they have a case full of all different kinds of ARs and a big center display of bulk 223 ammo. I'm noticing though besides price theres differences in features like sights, scopes, handles, etc

VIP Member
    Out of the 3 I'd pick Colt. But I would seriously take a look @ Spikes tactical I have a few of them and they are all flawless.

Sponsor
    With prices for Colts right now, Colt hands down. Spend the $100-$200 more and get a better gun. 6920s under a grand is ridiculous.
    atctimmy, munch520 and tmoore912 like this.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Dont know what your budget is, but I recently picked up a Stag Arms Model 2 T. T meaning tactical, Quad rail, 40L MOA .75 Low profile Flip up site ($120.00 alone) etc. I paid about $1,000.00 If your not too concerned about the rail space, you can pick one up for about $800.00 . I'm in love with this rifle. Solid
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Colt is the glock koolaid of the AR world.

My AR is a Frankenstein of sorts with parts from half a dozen manufacturers, that being said the important ones (bolt and bolt carrier group are Colt and barrel is Daniel defense) are from reputable companies.

Look in to Daniel defense or bravo company machine (BCM) as well, very high quality parts and guns.

Also, the more magpul the better in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

There's BCM and PSA for about the same price point as the Sig, and much better quality. Troy Industries kicked one out this year (can be found at Dick's Sporting Goods) for $1000ish - a pretty sweet deal given all it comes with, and all reports thus far seem to be very positive (although the two that I molested had excessive play in the integrated front flip up sight).

If your goal is a rifle to only run 500 rounds a year through at the range and nothing more, then you would be fine with the other brands or rifles under the $700 value (Bushmaster, CMMG, DPMS...), though I would still recommend paying the $$$ and getting a high end rifle. Holds the value better, and reliable if you choose to put it to more work. Refer to the sticky on M4 comparison chart to see what you are really getting.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport, it's a very good mid tier AR and you could use the money you save to trick it out and buy ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan6 View Post
    Take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport, it's a very good mid tier AR and you could use the money you save to trick it out and buy ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are these the same design as the other AR and accept the same parts and accessories?

I vote Windham, I have the SRC and love it!
    Springfield 1911
    Windham AR SRC
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Walther P22

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links