Sticks' DMR AR saga

This is a discussion on Sticks' DMR AR saga within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zacii If you're checking out classes in AZ, be sure to post about it. I'm always on the lookout for training opportunities. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Sticks' DMR AR saga

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    If you're checking out classes in AZ, be sure to post about it. I'm always on the lookout for training opportunities.

BTW, have you checked out Leupold's scopes with their 'Fire Dot' reticle?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Will do, and not yet. As always the voice of reason [Jon] muddies up the water a bit and makes me step back and rethink things.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Well, PSA had lowers yesterday morning. I placed my order for the Blem lower (going to get painted), SSA-E trigger (also on sale) a LPK w/ MIAD, A2 stock kit for the PRS...and come to find out when I placed my second order with Outdoor Gear Barn, I screwed the expiration date with PSA. Immediately sent them an email, and called midday. Still have not heard from them about correcting the CC info to process my order, and of course they are out of stock now on the blem lowers, and the SSA-E trigger is not on sale anymore. Here is where a company with a great product but crappy customer service will bite me in the butt again.

Yes, yes, yes...I know it was my fault for not giving them the correct info to begin with, but I would have expected a response of some sort when the CC transaction got denied. Here's to hoping that they run a few days behind in processing and I may still hear from them.

Presuming it goes through, total for the complete lower $564.86 (less the ambi safety and bolt release)
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

'Nother update.

Walked into a Vltor MUR upper locally, and pulled the trigger on the Mk12 barrel.

I'm down to muzzle device & handguard choices, another BCG, Ambi selector and bolt release, gas tube, barrel nut...oh yeah, sling, optic (if I can get my PSL and KelTec Sub 2k sold).

Muzzle device...
    Wait for the new BCM, Ops Inc, Surefire brake, or AAC Breakout. Hmmmm.

Handguard...
    Still waffling on the Troy, Samson, or MI. I really should make a decision on the last of this list this weekend.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Sorry, Professional Joe Photographer I am not. I hope to get some decent outdoor shots soon.

Before

After

Upper;
    Vltor MUR-1A
    BCM Mod 4 Charging Handle
    BCM Auto BCG
    Centurion Mk12 barrrel
    SureFire Muzzle Brake
    Midwest Industries 15" Gen 2 SS tube
    Magpul Gen2 BUIS

Lower;
    PSA Blem stripped lower
    PSA LPK
    Geissele SSA-E
    PSA A2 stock kit (receiver tube only)
    Magpul PRS
    Magpul MIAD w/Spare bolt core
    Magpul BAD lever
    BCM Ambi safety
    BFG Padded 2 point sling

Scope is a Belarus POSP 6x42...for now. Still deciding on getting a scope to get by (Belarus POSP 3-9x42) or Vortex PST 2.5-10x-42, until I can fund a NightForce or IOR in the same magnification. I may step up the magnification and go with an offset mount for a mini RDS. I would not know a quality optic if it knocked me upside the head - never looked through one to know the difference.

Range report next weekend. I have a training class the weekend after, and one of the attendees is loaning me a spare RDS to run the class with. Kind of going against my plan since all I wanted to ever run through this rifle is MK262 ammo, but I still have not had an opportunity to dial them in. Maybe the guy that is loaning me his RDS will let me do the Chrono testing (I will be on his invite to a range). Doubt I will be able to make up 1k rounds though, all I have is my initial 500 SMK 77 HPBT bullets. Not that running my M193 is going to hurt it any.

Initial observations;

Rifle weight w/o optic and mag comes in at 9.16#. .7# less than my 16" with optic and empty mag.

It may be a sin, but I greased the buffer spring, not quite as heavy as my Vltor A5 on my 16" - came that way and I saw no point in cleaning it off since it has not caused me any issues in 4k+ rounds and is stupid silent. This one made an annoying sound when charging - spring compressing along the receiver tube.

Releasing the bolt while not holding the handguard is like ringing a tin bell.

The assembly was as expected. Took me all of 2 hours, and only had a little fight with the gas block pins. Barrel nut torque came in at 50# to get the notches lined up. Timing the muzzle brake took a few trial and errors to get the right amount of shims in there to line up correctly at 25# torque.

The alignment of the handguard is actually tighter than my Centurion C4 on my 16". I am real pleased with it.

Balance point W/O optic is 3/4" behind the front of the magwell, so with a full mag and optic is should still be pretty nice.

This project did initially start out to be a Mk12 clone, then I started substituting items to fit my wants and needs. Piece by piece it drifted away from being an actual Mk12, so at this point, the only thing that is a Mk12 is the barrel. I wanted a different stock than the SOPMOD, I like the MIAD grip, I saw no need for a quad rail - especially one that required a rather expensive wrench to install or replace if needed, I've heard way too many positive reviews on the Geissele triggers to stick with the KAC 2 stage, I also like the Vltor MUR upper - for no reason that I can come up with, SureFire brake instead of the OPS inc. for $$$ only (I think next year a can is my combo birthday/anniversary/Christmas gift). Yes Jon, I will give you this, it's just another precision rifle - I hope.

So far I like the PRS stock. Good LOP and cheek weld. I am able to bring up from a ready position to instant correct view through the scope (parallax, eye relief and all that).

I also plan on swapping lowers to see how it does with the A5 system. I may switch over.

I just need to find a good way to mount that sling so I don't choke myself when I do a strong side to support side transition. I have the same problem on my 16". It does not seem to matter how much I loosen the sling, I still get snagged and choke myself a bit. It's hurting my speed.
    zacii likes this.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Looks good Sticks.

PSA had a good sale on MOE lower kits, OTD for about $110 over the weekend, so I'll need to start the "Buckeye Mock Dissipator Build" thread soon.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks Buckeye.

It's bordering on fugly being a Calico and all. Stock was supposed to be black, ended up with OD (inventory glitch), went with FDE BUIS and sling. Heck, it's going to get painted anyhow, so I am not all that concerned.

My wife has been hinting that she wants one, but she is going to have to actually fire it first before we cross that bridge. She had little love for my SKS.

I see that PSA Patrol Rifle Package go on sale again, I may have to get it just for the optic and lower.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

UPDATE:

1500 rounds down the pipe. 2 day training course and a fairly rigorous day at the range with a couple fellow shooters doing some drills. Shooting a scope at 7-100y, unconventional positions, and support side (including the same unconventional positions) is a wild experience. For the first time I finally able to shoot a scope with both eyes open. Practice, practice, practice.

Target ID under 25y is a no brainer, but farther out, and I inevitably dial up the magnification, finding my target becomes a challenge. Teaching me to look for and ID landmarks around and behind my target.

Once again the only failures were of my own doing (wonky reloads). I've yet to be able to hunker down to do a 10 round grouping. I've found that I can't shoot well off a bench, and in the mornings.

Currently she is wearing a Chinese no name scope (2.5 - 10x42) mounted with a Burris PEPR. If anyone recognizes the turrets or body design, I'd appreciate it.

So far it has done better than I expected for a whopping $200 for both. I had a zero shift on TD2 that put me 2" high, but I need to verify if it was shooter error or the equipment. The new optic is going to get a better mount (likely a ARMS, LaRue, or Bobro). Hopefully I'll get the mount first to try this scope out again. Supposedly the scope is manufactured at the same factory that does other midline scopes (Bushnell, Millet, Sightmark...). Once I get the replacement it will go on the auction block for Hobby shooters. It's definitely better quality than the available scopes with the same features under $300, but I don't recommend it for people looking for wannabe operator status (at least until I figure out the zero shift issue).

Still waiting for a nice day, or the wife gets her Jeep out of the garage to do my paint job on both.

Funds are set aside for a high end scope, just trying to finalize my decision between the top 4. All are 2.5-10x.

*NightForce C297 w/NP-1 reticule $1544.00 (starting to lean towards the NP-R2 reticule instead of the velocity 600)
    *IOR Valdada (SWFA# 251426) $1199.95 (there is a 2-12x35 I am liking, but comes with a BDC cam that is not compatible for my Mk262 ammo)
    *Vortex Viper PST (SWFA#PST210S1M) 599.95
    *Weaver Tactical (SWFA#WEA800368) $699.95

Long range plans (2013) are to take a DMR or Urban Sniper course. Recommendations welcome on that front.

I'd better shoot my 16" middy next trip. She's likely getting bitchy being drug along on the last three trips just to sit in the case. That and I am growing weary of the "Hubble telescope" comments from the guys next to me. If I can pull off the same grouping with the RDS, then maybe they will start buying into the "It's the Indian, not the bow" theory.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member
    Looks pretty sweet Sticks. Big fan of the MUR-1A... in addition to being an exceptional upper, it just looks good (imho).
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links