Home defense long gun - Rem 870 pump shotgun to Mini 14

This is a discussion on Home defense long gun - Rem 870 pump shotgun to Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an older 870 20 ga. which usually eats everything. Have experienced same extraction problem with reloads -but seldom with factory ammo. (just pitching ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Home defense long gun - Rem 870 pump shotgun to Mini 14

I have an older 870 20 ga. which usually eats everything. Have experienced same extraction problem with reloads -but seldom with factory ammo. (just pitching it out for what it's worth.....) My wife is petite, and likes the 20 ga real well.
    Steve

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    My current HD/SD long gun is my personally-owned duty 870P, with a Vang-comped barrel that shoots tight patterns. Because my "qual" is current, it has the blessing of employer's legal staff, and all that entails. It is a bit clumsy to operate in some conditions, but it is very, very familiar, which counts for much. Yes, my 870Ps a true comfort gun, as in comforting, not comfortable, to borrow words from Clint Smith.

Then, there are my two Mini-14 rifles, both 580-series. One has a Sage International SCAR stock, the other factory synthetic. Both have the factory flash hiders. I truly love the handling qualities, which are perfect for a lefty like myself. When I retire from policin', sometime in the next few years, these Minis will be my go-to long weapons. I will not forsake the 870P, my beloved companion of some hairy moments, but it will be used selectively, rather than generally.

The Mini may not be military-tough, but, hey, I am not very tough, physically, anymore. I will break down long before a Mini will, whether it will be my bad knee, my limited-function right shoulder-arm-wrist-hand, or something else that gives out.

The Mini is both comforting, and comfortable. Life is good!
    You touched on another advantage of the Mini 14 that I failed to mention. My wife is a lefty, and the ambidextrous safety and mag release on the Mini make it better suited for her. Good reminder!
    Rexster likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links