AR Ejector Help - Page 2

AR Ejector Help

This is a discussion on AR Ejector Help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Upper Receiver: Aero Precision...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: AR Ejector Help

Upper Receiver: Aero Precision

Barrel?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Nope, no barrel.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sorry guys it was a busy afternoon, it was a completer upper from SAA
    Surplus Ammo & Arms Complete 16" 1:9 M4 AR-15 Upper Receiver - 5.56 - Surplus Ammo

Yeah, I'm back to chamber spec.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    I have had one Wolf brand steel case stick in my AR chamber (Stag Arms, 5.56 chamber). It easily knocked out with a light tap from a cleaning rod. I have fired well over 1000 rounds of Wolf with only this one issue. I will continue to use Wolf/Tula for practice as the cost is much less. Unless you experience more failures I would not be too concerned at this point.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Once you clean up the chamber, try some brass cased ammo to see what she does.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your extractor, it ripped the case head off. It is a chamber issue.

Can you take a better pic of the side? It looks like gunk on the side of the casing.
    No need for another picture, it was gunk as I was able to scrape it off with my thumb nail. The un-fired ammo does not look that way.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Clean the crap out of the chamber, then don't put any crap back in it. If good ammo causes a malfunction--you've got problems!
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sounds like the consensus is the ammo using brass ammo and a good cleaning should eliminate the problem. I'll let you guys know how that goes either way. My gut feeling is that it will preform fine, however I wish the rifle would be reliable with any ammo. Perhaps with a few hundred more rounds things will loosen up a bit.

First, no lacquer melts off the cases and gums up a chamber. Someone on another forum took a propane torch to a spent casing and failed to get any lacquer to "melt".

The issue with the old lacquer and newer polymer coated steel cased ammo is that they do not seal inside the chamber as does brass cased ammo. The lack of a good seal causes carbon build up in the chamber. Shoot enough and you will eventually "shrink" your chamber, which can cause the next chambered round to get stuck. This results in a failure to extract which will often result in a case as shown in the picture.

The Box O'Truth website covers this quite clearly.
    jonconsiglio and munch520 like this.

I agree with some of the posts that suggest partially obturated steel cases result in excessive fouling which can lead to FTEs, especially if the gun is too dry. Jon and I were shooting my SBR and it ran acceptably on Tula when it was wet...but not dry.

IMO FTEs are caused by:
    -steel casings, inflexible compared to brass cases
    -the load, under-powering guns with spec ports, buffer weights, action springs

The aforementioned issues are further exacerbated by out of spec uppers, specifically oversize gas ports, underweight buffers, worn action springs, etc. Steel is less malleable (higher melt point) than brass and expands/contracts in the chamber slower than brass casings. Thus steel cases tend to be torn, rather than cleanly extracted, from the chamber. With overgassed guns, this is a serious issue as unlock/extraction occurs while the (steel) case is still partially obturated against the chamber walls.
    Last edited by munch520; October 9th, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
    jonconsiglio likes this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Senior Moderator
    First, no lacquer melts off the cases and gums up a chamber.
    Years ago, before the Russians changed to a different laquer, it was quite common. I've seen gun gunked up horribly by melted lacquer. Many here are too young to remember, but if you are shooting some of the older surplus stuff, its still a concern.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Years ago, before the Russians changed to a different laquer, it was quite common. I've seen gun gunked up horribly by melted lacquer. Many here are too young to remember, but if you are shooting some of the older surplus stuff, its still a concern.
    Yea, it was that red crap.

I have my AR set up so it will not even run wolf.....Its too low powered, makes for a single shot AR.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    Sounds like the consensus is the ammo using brass ammo and a good cleaning should eliminate the problem. I'll let you guys know how that goes either way. My gut feeling is that it will preform fine, however I wish the rifle would be reliable with any ammo. Perhaps with a few hundred more rounds things will loosen up a bit.
    I have no experience with that upper, but my guess is this is an underlying issue, brought to light by the ammo used. If you have the time, I'd be curious to know gas port size. I would venture to say it's likely >.063"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links