Remington 870 Tactical

This is a discussion on Remington 870 Tactical within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey I am getting a Remington 870 Tactical model for home defense. I'm wondering about the pattern of the tactical choke. Is it really a ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Supertac45
  • 2 Post By Echo_Four

Thread: Remington 870 Tactical

Remington 870 Tactical

Hey I am getting a Remington 870 Tactical model for home defense. I'm wondering about the pattern of the tactical choke. Is it really a different choke or is it a full or extra full that is "tactical" looking? Thanks for the assist

2. Remove Ads

I am fairly sure they just come with a Cylinder choke. The HD model does.

I would wager it isn't a full or extra full. The muzzle device is actually for breaching applications.

Of course, you should pattern it with your HD load anyway, and that should give you an idea.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The extended tactical ported choke was designed for LEO and Military to put the barrel of their shotgun in close contact with hard surfaces to blow-open doors and brake glass. The extended port also works similar to an AR's muzzle device helping to reduce recoil and muzzle rise for quicker followups. The tactical choke is a cylinder choke.

Since I'm not going to be blowing-open doors or busting glass I use an improved cylinder choke in my 870 Express Tactical, as it helps tighten up the 00-buck shot pattern and also helps stabilize slugs.

Besides being a proven Remington platform. Two of the reasons I bought the 870 Express Tactical are;

1) it has interchangeable chokes

2) it's drilled, tapped, and comes with a rail so it's ready to add a scope or red-dot too

It's an excellent choice. I love mine.
    CIBMike likes this.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

My 870 was bought all set up to be a breacher. I really doubt that I'll be using the "key to the city" though.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    We sold a car, the keys to the car had the key to the shed out back on them. Didn't have bolt cutters, did have breaching rounds (priorities!). I managed to get in the shed... that's about all I need to say about that.
    Rock and Glock and CIBMike like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Ok so seeing as I'm new to shotgunning, if I wanted to run slugs out of it, what do I need to change? Can I get a rifled choke or do I need to start looking for new barrels? Thanks for the previous input folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacklier24 View Post
    Ok so seeing as I'm new to shotgunning, if I wanted to run slugs out of it, what do I need to change? Can I get a rifled choke or do I need to start looking for new barrels? Thanks for the previous input folks.
    Pretty sure those are good to go for slugs. So you need to buy slugs.

Remington doesn't tell you, but it's basically a cylinder choke with a vented muzzle crown, or at least appears that way after I looked at one. I bought just the traditional style in the end though, no breaching for me...
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I have the 870 tactical i am not sure what pattern the breacher choke is but it has done fine with every ammo i have put through it ,game loads for training and three gun matches sabot,round slugs ,buckshot and even winchester PDX1 defender slug/buckshot combo.
    The easy way is always mined.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacklier24 View Post
    If you want to shoot rifled slugs, your current set up will be fine.

They don't make rifled chokes. The choke is only the last 2-3 inches of the barrel, and its purpose is to help control the spread of the shot as it exits the barrel.

Sabot slugs would require a new barrel.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    If you want to shoot rifled slugs, your current set up will be fine.

They don't make rifled chokes. The choke is only the last 2-3 inches of the barrel, and its purpose is to help control the spread of the shot as it exits the barrel.

Sabot slugs would require a new barrel.
    I don't believe Remington does, but several aftermarket companies do make rifled choke tubes. Hastings comes to mind. I know there are others, but I can't remember them at this time.

Links