No to an AR - went with a tactical Auto Shotgun

This is a discussion on No to an AR - went with a tactical Auto Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Started thinking SBR; then AR platform .308. The more I envisioned scenarios that I felt could happen to me in the deep suburbs, the more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: No to an AR - went with a tactical Auto Shotgun

No to an AR - went with a tactical Auto Shotgun

Started thinking SBR; then AR platform .308. The more I envisioned scenarios that I felt could happen to me in the deep suburbs, the more a tactical shotgun appealed to me. Landed on a Mossberg 930 SPX. Superb. After reading about Argentina after the peso devaluation, it became clear that something besides a pistol was necessary. Less than half the cost of a Benelli M4 yet it is fast, reliable and has great sights. 8 rounds of 2 3/4 shotshell or 7 3" loads. I believe a lot more memebers would be better served with a tactical shotgun versus an AR. Most do not even consider the shottie.

Mossberg 930 SPX range review - YouTube
    atctimmy and pgrass101 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I have a 930 SPX, and an AR.

But, you have chosen wisely. It is a lot of shotgun for the money.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Two different purposes in my opinion... although the AR can be used in close range, the shotgun cannot be used in long range.

Looks neat, reading up on it now.

Senior Moderator
    I have a modified Saiga 12 for such use.
    Its a mag fed, drum fed shotgun.
    Katana likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Nice choice. A very different tool than an AR, but great to have. My shotguns are a good bit less sophisticated, but I do like the options they provide in close quarters.

sent via iCarry

I have a Mossberg pump that I'm happy to have but I sure wouldn't object to having one of those too! Enjoy yours!

A good shooter with a gauge can dominate in a 15-20 yard gunfight.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

VIP Member
    The SPX is on my short list.

Nice shotgun, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Two different purposes in my opinion... although the AR can be used in close range, the shotgun cannot be used in long range.

Looks neat, reading up on it now.
    Lets be realistic about the actual range that you will be shooting in the suburbs if SHTF. Inside the home, nothing beats a shotgun with buckshot. Outside the home, a shotgun with slugs is good out to 100 yards. If I have to engage someone out beyond 50 or so yards, I'm going to be thinking about taking cover not engaging in a running gun battle. If you can't rely on emergency services, then long term survival is going to require that you avoid confrontations if possible. I'm going to avoid/evade if possible anything beyond shotgun range in the suburbs. But... if I had to abandon the house and bug out, I'm going to want a carbine for ease of carrying ammo. I think its smart to build a gun collection up from a handgun to a shotgun, then a carbine like an AR/AK/SKS. That covers all possibilities.

I have two handguns, one for me and the woman, just bought a shotgun, and am looking at buying a rifle next.
    ron8903 and 10thmtn like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I've spent some trigger-time with a 930 SPX. It's everything they advertise that it is. BTW, a .308 SBR is a VERY, VERY LOUD selection. Go shoot a Springfield Scout Squad M1A with an 18" barrel & then see if you REALLY want anything shorter. (ouch!)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Inside the home, nothing beats a shotgun with buckshot.
    Ever shot a shotgun, inside an enclosure, with no earpro? At night?

I'll take a suppressed SBR or pistol every time over any shotgun.

If you haven't been to the range with an AR 223 yet I would suggest you do that. Put a reasonable scope on it (less than a hundred bucks), set up a couple of shoot n c targets at 100 yards and see how quickly you can group a magazine full into a 4 inch circle. Little to no recoil and back on target in seconds or less. I didn't think much of the 223 until I saw how damned fast they got into the circle...it is a blast to shoot. By the way...I also take my 20 16 and 12 gauge to the range as well. Nothing beats 00 buck in the 12 at 50 yards. My wife was the one that wanted the AR...now I want one too.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Ever shot a shotgun, inside an enclosure, with no earpro? At night?

I'll take a suppressed SBR or pistol every time over any shotgun.
    If I have to shoot somone inside my home, the last thing I'm worried about at that moment is my hearing. Thinking ahead, I am looking into buying some ear plugs or muffs that allow you to hear normal conversation and attenuate louder noises.

I would favor a suppressed SBR or pistol over a shotgun as well, but thats a whole 'nother category and is much more expensive and takes a while to process the paperwork if you don't already have it. When I hit the lottery I will look at buying a Glock with a suppressor and red dot.
    ron8903 and 10thmtn like this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

If I have to shoot somone inside my home, the last thing I'm worried about at that moment is my hearing.
    I'd agree, if you can guarantee your first round is on target and you are face-to-face with the one and only assailant. As neither variable is guaranteed, I'd worry about how disoriented you would be after that first or second shot. Both in terms of your vision and your hearing.

Thinking ahead, I am looking into buying some ear plugs or muffs that allow you to hear normal conversation and attenuate louder noises.
    That'd be an improvement, if you can get them on in time.

I would favor a suppressed SBR or pistol over a shotgun as well, but thats a whole 'nother category and is much more expensive and takes a while to process the paperwork if you don't already have it.
    I hear ya, I was responding to your blanket statement "Inside the home, nothing beats a shotgun with buckshot."

If you amended that to "On a budget, inside the home, nothing beats a semi-auto shotgun with buckshot." I may be more inclined to accept your premise.
    Chesafreak likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links