Defensive Carry banner

AR optics?

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  reade 
#1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a Colt AR15, it has the removable carry handle (I know that's not what it is but anyway). I'm interested in a Red Dot of some kind, what do you recommend? I know nothing about them.

#4 ·
I am leaning towards an Aimpoint PRO.

Once in a while a deal will pop up where you can get one for under $400 shipped.

Keep an eye on the Slickguns threads :yup:

#6 ·
Aimpoint PRO or EOTech 512. They are both excellent quality optics for around the $400 mark.

You can pick up a red dot for next to nothing, but you bought a Colt AR. I assume you like top quality stuff :smile: I would stick with Aimpoint or EOTech. If they are out of the price range, save up, and just use your irons for now. Also beware... Chinese EOTech knockoff's are all over the place. They look identical, but are junk. If someone tries to sell you an EOTech for $50, run.

Some people swear by Aimpoint, some people swear by EOTech. They both rock. It comes down to preference. Check out some "point of view" YouTube video's so you can see the difference in reticle.

Enjoy the new Colt, and whatever you do, make sure you have a good set of BUIS (back up iron sights) to supplement the optic.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Personally, I'd stay away from any NcStar products. The only overseas made optics I trust (overseas meaning China, not Germany, Japan, etc.) is Vortex Optics and I think actually they're built in Taiwan, not China. They use good quality glass and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Otherwise, stick with Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon, Leupold.

#10 ·
Try AR15.com or AR15 Armory.com and read the discussions there. A hotly debated topic as it is a personal choice issue with budget a significant issue. Any chance you can shoot a friend's rifle with an optic? What is your budget?

#13 ·
One piece of advice, if I may. Spend some time shooting your new AR with iron sights and give yourself some time to get at least decent with those, before moving on to a battery powered optic. And as someone else mentioned, mount a BUIS if you are going to take the handle off permanently, and once again, get accustomed to the BUIS.

AR's are great fun and I love shooting mine, and while I really enjoy having my Aimpoint PRO on it, I still spend a fair amount of time shooting it just through the irons. Bottom line; electronics fail, batteries fail. If you aren't proficient with your irons, the time to learn isn't when your main optic craps out. You may never hunt with it, or need it for self defense or anything else where it absolutely must work properly the first time, but since you do own it, it's a great idea to be comfortable shooting it at it's most basic level.

#15 ·
I agree about iron sights. We shoot pistols quite a bit and I'd not have them any other way. I will shoot the AR with iron sights and get used to it. The red dot or whatever the politically correct name is for them is more just for fun. I would to have experience with both. You understand.

And yes, I do like quality and that's exactly why I bought the colt.

#16 ·
#17 ·
I think the red dot is for more than just fun, unless I made a mistake reading your post. outside of a static range, it's a considerable advantage. It allows faster first round hits when used properly and allows you to focus down range, never having to focus on the front sight to make accurate hits. Not to mention follow up shots, tracking, low light, etc. Learn irons, absolutely. But if it's anything more than a range toy, a red dot is essential equipment in my opinion, as is a high quality white light and an adjustable sling.

#18 ·
If the word "fun" is in reference to my post, I think you're reading too much into it! It's the word that the OP used in his initial post and was probably referring to "plinking" or non-tactical use. I agree with your post and opinion on "red dot" scopes and the purpose they serve. Okay....back on topic.

#19 ·
It was in reference to reade's post. I'm sure I was reading more into it!

#26 ·
Aimpoint arrived today and I got it installed and zero'd with the iron sights (as much as possible at this time). All I can say is wow, I'm impressed with it. Now to spend some quality time at the range getting it and the BUS dialed in.

I can see why the PRO is popular, it's supper easy to acquire the target.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.