AR optics?

This is a discussion on AR optics? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I just purchased a Colt AR15, it has the removable carry handle (I know that's not what it is but anyway). I'm interested in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: AR optics?

AR optics?

Hi, I just purchased a Colt AR15, it has the removable carry handle (I know that's not what it is but anyway). I'm interested in a Red Dot of some kind, what do you recommend? I know nothing about them.

2. Remove Ads

Aimpoint.

Beyond that, it is dictated by your budget and desire. Comp M2s are proven and great, M4s are nice, as are Micro T1/H1s.

Here's a thread that may be of some use to you if you want to stay on a lower budget: YOU can have a quality 0x optic for less than $300. No compromises.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I like my Aimpoint PRO that came along with my PSA AR as a package deal. I really do like it. This is the only red dot type optic I have so I can't compare it to anything else.
    SCGunLover1

I am leaning towards an Aimpoint PRO.

Once in a while a deal will pop up where you can get one for under $400 shipped.

Keep an eye on the Slickguns threads
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks for the replies. I have some homework to do.

Aimpoint PRO or EOTech 512. They are both excellent quality optics for around the $400 mark.

You can pick up a red dot for next to nothing, but you bought a Colt AR. I assume you like top quality stuff I would stick with Aimpoint or EOTech. If they are out of the price range, save up, and just use your irons for now. Also beware... Chinese EOTech knockoff's are all over the place. They look identical, but are junk. If someone tries to sell you an EOTech for $50, run.

Some people swear by Aimpoint, some people swear by EOTech. They both rock. It comes down to preference. Check out some "point of view" YouTube video's so you can see the difference in reticle.

Enjoy the new Colt, and whatever you do, make sure you have a good set of BUIS (back up iron sights) to supplement the optic.

This might be of interest to you. Scope and red dot combo.
    The Ultimate AR-15 Scope combines a 3-9x42 tactical scope with a Compact Red Dot sight. (watch the video)
    3-9X42 Ultimate AR-15 Scope

Amazon has the same one at a lesser price.
    Amazon.com: NcStar Mark III Tactical P4 Sniper 3-9X42/Scope Adaptor Mount/Red Dot Combo Package (STP3942G/D): Sports & Outdoors

Tactical Scope Buyers Guide(informative)
    Tactical Scope Buyers Guide - Valhalla Armory TV - Episode 1 - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Aimpoint H1 or T1 - best bang for the buck.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I've shot both xps2 and I have a h-1 and I'd choose my h-1 all day err day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Try AR15.com or AR15 Armory.com and read the discussions there. A hotly debated topic as it is a personal choice issue with budget a significant issue. Any chance you can shoot a friend's rifle with an optic? What is your budget?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    The Ultimate AR-15 Scope combines a 3-9x42 tactical scope with a Compact Red Dot sight. (watch the video)

Amazon has the same one at a lesser price.
    Amazon.com: NcStar Mark III Tactical P4 Sniper 3-9X42/Scope Adaptor Mount/Red Dot Combo Package (STP3942G/D): Sports & Outdoors

Tactical Scope Buyers Guide(informative)
    Tactical Scope Buyers Guide - Valhalla Armory TV - Episode 1 - YouTube
    Personally, I'd stay away from any NcStar products. The only overseas made optics I trust (overseas meaning China, not Germany, Japan, etc.) is Vortex Optics and I think actually they're built in Taiwan, not China. They use good quality glass and have a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Otherwise, stick with Aimpoint, Eotech, Trijicon, Leupold.
    munch520 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    Wouldn't go near this...unless you like re-dialing zeros all the time. I stay away from Barska, NCStar, etc.

VIP Member
    One piece of advice, if I may. Spend some time shooting your new AR with iron sights and give yourself some time to get at least decent with those, before moving on to a battery powered optic. And as someone else mentioned, mount a BUIS if you are going to take the handle off permanently, and once again, get accustomed to the BUIS.

AR's are great fun and I love shooting mine, and while I really enjoy having my Aimpoint PRO on it, I still spend a fair amount of time shooting it just through the irons. Bottom line; electronics fail, batteries fail. If you aren't proficient with your irons, the time to learn isn't when your main optic craps out. You may never hunt with it, or need it for self defense or anything else where it absolutely must work properly the first time, but since you do own it, it's a great idea to be comfortable shooting it at it's most basic level.
    WHEC724 likes this.

I've got an Aimpoint PRO and a rear MBUS. I really like them both.

I agree about iron sights. We shoot pistols quite a bit and I'd not have them any other way. I will shoot the AR with iron sights and get used to it. The red dot or whatever the politically correct name is for them is more just for fun. I would to have experience with both. You understand.

And yes, I do like quality and that's exactly why I bought the colt.
    TX expat likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links