YOU can have a quality 0x optic for less than $300. No compromises.

This is a discussion on YOU can have a quality 0x optic for less than $300. No compromises. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was received well elsewhere...thought I'd post it here for those that are looking for a RDS that does't break the bank. It’s been lamented ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By munch520
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio
  • 1 Post By Doodle
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By munch520
  • 1 Post By munch520
  • 1 Post By QKShooter

Thread: YOU can have a quality 0x optic for less than $300. No compromises.

Thumbs up YOU can have a quality 0x optic for less than $300. No compromises.

This was received well elsewhere...thought I'd post it here for those that are looking for a RDS that does't break the bank.

It’s been lamented many times here and elsewhere that Aimpoint’s are ‘too expensive’ and some people are always searching for a $200 optic that is ‘good enough’ (Barksa, Vortex, Bushnell, etc). Breifly stated, in terms of price and quality, there’s irons then there’s Aimpoint’s/EOTech’s. Nothing in between worth buying, in my opinion. If you agree with that sentiment, maybe this thread can help you assemble a BUIS/RDS system that won't break the bank. Bottom line, hope it helps someone!

Here’s how and why I setup my current SBR, thought I’d have some fun and see how inexpensively I could do it. The effort was to stay in balance by maintaining a budget but not compromising quality. I'd enjoy your feedback and any other guidance the members here can offer.

Join ebay. Yes I know they/PayPal aren’t gun friendly. Get over it, if you’re going to save money check your politics at the door. The deals found there on these specifically are better than what's on the the member's exchange of forums. Here’s where the hunting gets fun, it’s pretty easy to find M68/Comp M2s with factory QRP mount for $200-275. The housing will be in rough shape, but as long as lenses are clear and the device is operable, that’s all that counts. There’s also a nice seller protection program in place, but be sure the dot is ONLY red and make sure the ad contains pictures the ‘Aimpoint Comp M2, Made in Sweden, + serial number’. Obviously be sure the photos aren't stock, but of the actual item for sale. Do this and read the fine print, and you'll have successful recourse in the event it IS a fake. I've bought a few Comp M2s off ebay though, all have been cheap and legit.

Aimpoint Comp M2/M68 CCO - $211 used but operable

Serial number/Aimpoint markings:

Another good idea is the QRP mount spacer for the factory Aimpoint QRP mount, this will inexpensively give you a lower 1/3 co-witness.

QRP spacer (39MM height) lower 1/3 cowitness spacer for QRP mount - $31.79

Aimpoint Comp M2, factory QRP mount, and spacer:

Personally, I spent: $45 on DD fixed rear, $211 on Aimpoint Comp M2, and $31.79 on the QRP mount spacer. So there you have it, a quality RDS/BUIS system for $287.79 OTD. You’ll have to comb the web for a deal like this, as used M2s don’t pop up daily but they’re on there. I’ve seen 3 sell in the last 2 weeks for less than $300. Since these are pretty beat up, you can paint these which is pretty easy. Brief tutorial below on that. Take note of your serial number BEFORE you paint!

Surface prep
    Remove mount using allen wrench for the 4 screws. Wipe down with rubbing alcohol or like prep fluid. I don’t give this too much time as I usually re-spray my painted stuff every now and then. Mask lenses CAREFULLY or just apply flip-up scope covers and paint over those. You'll note below that I shoved paper towels into the lenses...I'm lazy and this works too.

Alumablack from Birchwood Casey helps to mask larger scratches/gouges. I wouldn’t bother painting if you only have a few.

If painting black:
    Find a good matte black/charcoal paint at the local store and apply a couple base coats, not too heavy you don’t want running or dripping. Steal the wife’s hair-dryer and blast all painted surfaces. You may chose to hit it at the end with a finish-coat of matte.

If Camo:
    USE AEROVE! And see Jon's stickied thread

Paint
    See Jon's stickied thread

Finished product

jonconsiglio, sammage and zacii like this.

2. Remove Ads

I've linked to this thread over on 1911forum many times. Good info and I actually borrowed this very Comp M2 from Matt when my gear was stolen. Got me through nicely for a few weeks.

Edit - here is Matt's M2 on my 14.5".

Last edited by jonconsiglio; October 9th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
    zacii likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I love this forum
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I've linked to this thread over on 1911forum many times. Good info and I actually borrowed this very Comp M2 from Matt when my gear was stolen. Got me through nicely for a few weeks.

Edit - here is Matt's M2 on my 14.5".

It ain't pretty but it works!

Remember all the zero issues we had with it? Jon, you won't believe it, but last week I pulled the optic and rear sight to paint and also moved the FSB to verify gas port size....put everything back together and the zero was almost dead on! The M2 needed 3 clicks of windage and the irons were on. I couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I love this forum
    Cheers to being cheap(sometimes)!
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

This should be a sticky as I can't even yes how many times I've link this thread on 1911forum or said similar things myself.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

I would more quickly prefer (and trust) a beat-up Aimpoint or ACOG than a brand-new clone...of either. Easy choice!
    munch520 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    I would more quickly prefer (and trust) a beat-up Aimpoint or ACOG than a brand-new clone...of either. Easy choice!
    Perfect summation of my writeup right there ^

Had a buddy bring me his AR over the weekend for some TLC and paint...he didn't tell me it was a Bushmaster...so this may take longer than I expected Anyway, he has a Lucid optic on it and that thing that ran him over $320 and it really doesn't function as advertised. Since I'm painting the thing, he could've saved himself $100 or so and went with an Aimpoint with some surface wear. Really wish we had that $100 to play with now, as this thing needs a heavier buffer, new RE, LMT-E carrier, etc.

It's a classic case of; Good Judgement comes from Experience. But, unfortunately, Experience often first comes from...Bad Judgement.
    munch520 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Some new packages I found. Just received a used C3 in the mail last week. $300 shipped :)

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=130876599457
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=151018826552

atctimmy likes this.

use code LASSIE at LA Police gear for a $357 Aimpoint Pro!
    atctimmy likes this.

Administrator
    My 2nd AimPoint CompM4 was purchased off of ebay from a Swedish airline pilot. It was NEW in Box and I got an incredible Buy It Now price on it.
    He tossed in a set of see-through flips. One of my best ebay deals ever.

I'd buy another one from him in a heartbeat but, sadly he is no longer selling.

Be careful though folks and know what you are buying because there are a ton of AimPoint shysters out there just waiting to take your money if you do not know exactly what to look for.

On one forum some member was complaining about the AimPoint "long battery life" being totally bogus and he posted PICS of his AimPoint and it was a clone.

A really close copy clone but, still a total P.O.S.
    munch520 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My 2nd AimPoint CompM4 was purchased off of ebay from a Swedish airline pilot. It was NEW in Box and I got an incredible Buy It Now price on it.
    He tossed in a set of see-through flips. One of my best ebay deals ever.

I'd buy another one from him in a heartbeat but, sadly he is no longer selling.

Be careful though folks and know what you are buying because there are a ton of AimPoint shysters out there just waiting to take your money if you do not know exactly what to look for.

On one forum some member was complaining about the AimPoint "long battery life" being totally bogus and he posted PICS of his AimPoint and it was a clone.

A really close copy clone but, still a total P.O.S.
    Great advice. If it's too good of a deal, seek elsewhere.

Links