.223 ammo question - Page 2

.223 ammo question

This is a discussion on .223 ammo question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JoeK In days gone by, steel case ammo could be corrosive or not have the proper coatings that would allow them to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .223 ammo question

Quote Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
    In days gone by, steel case ammo could be corrosive or not have the proper coatings that would allow them to seize up in the chamber. Most of the modern steel case ammo is properly coated so that those problems no longer exist.

I have heard some folks argue that they'd never use steel case ammo in their rifle and I've heard others talk about how they've run 1000s of rounds of it through their rifle.

One dude made a good point that he runs it all the time, cleans his rifle more often because of it, but in the course of two years of shooting, he's saved enough $$ to purchase an additional new rifle. Makes sense to me but I'm not some died-in-the-wool purist.

Seems to me that it's fine to run in my rifle but I need to clean it a bit more frequently. I think I'll save the $$ so I can afford another rifle in two years!
    I agree 100% JoeK.

I buy all Tulammo from walmart for my practice ammo. I ran about 700 rounds of Tula without cleaning, then I ran about 100 of the American Eagle brass case. About 40 rounds in on my next outing with Tula, guess what? Stuck case, had to peck it out with a cleaning rod.

A little Rem Oil, a chamber brush, and Bore Snake later, I was running the Tula Wide F'n Open. I've got about 1500 of Tula through the rifle right now, but I run a chamber brush and Bore Snake through it when I get home. Takes about 5 minutes. No more problems.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Steel will not expand and obturate the chamber as well as brass. That means more gunk in the chamber. If you fire brass after running a bunch of steel cased ammo, the brass can stick in the chamber. This, in turn, can lead to damage to your extractor, as well as stuck cases in the chamber with the rim ripped off.

Also, some steel ammo had a lacquer that would tend to gum up the chamber - most nowadays have a polymer coating, IIRC.

The solution is to clean out the chamber very very well after firing steel cased ammo, before running brass. The concern is that all defensive ammo is brass cased, so if you practice with steel, you really won't know if you cleaned the chamber well enough...until it might be too late.

All that said - I will not run steel cased ammo through any of my rifles or handguns. Wal mart has brass cased ammo that is as cheap (or cheaper when you factor in shipping) than the imported steel cased ammo. I just see no need to risk it.
    Good analysis, except my Walmart carries Tulammo cheaper than anything else and I shoot it by the bucketload.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Good analysis, except my Walmart carries Tulammo cheaper than anything else and I shoot it by the bucketload.
    Ditto, Tula is 20-30% cheaper than brass, and I'd prefer to shoot my guns more than worry about them. Modern Tula and Wolf ammo will not cause your gun's any problems, and it won't mystically hurt your guns extractor or "blow" your gun up. It's cheap under powered ammo, but 99.9% of the time it works great. Your gun is a tool and toy, go have fun with it shoot the heck out of it!
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    I'm new to the AR15 so I have to ask, I was reading some various threads on the rifle and noticed someone dissing another guy for shooting steel case ammo (Russian). The guy quickly answered back he didn't shoot it but only kept it on hand for SHTF.
    This makes no sense to me. You want to keep the ammo that you don't trust running through your gun for plinking, and instead store it for a SHTF situation when your life will actually depend on it? I think you would be better off keeping the brass for SHTF and use the steel for range time or plinking. If you ever did have a problem with the steel ammo, it wouldn't be life threatening if you are just shooting for practice or fun. And if you did have a problem with polymer buildup in the chamber, you could just clean it and continue life. That would be more difficult to do in a SHTF situation. Just my thoughts.

My AR's, all Colts, seem to shoot better and stay cleaner with brass casings. The Russian ammo fouls up the rifle much quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
    This makes no sense to me. You want to keep the ammo that you don't trust running through your gun for plinking, and instead store it for a SHTF situation when your life will actually depend on it? I think you would be better off keeping the brass for SHTF and use the steel for range time or plinking. If you ever did have a problem with the steel ammo, it wouldn't be life threatening if you are just shooting for practice or fun. And if you did have a problem with polymer buildup in the chamber, you could just clean it and continue life. That would be more difficult to do in a SHTF situation. Just my thoughts.
    You make a lot of sense.

Jon consiglio is going to show up at your door, Russian steel shooters... And he's gonna bop you on the head with a mallet.
    jonconsiglio and WHEC724 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Have not seen it at mine - but I have not looked for it, either. Will take a look next time I'm over there - assuming I can find the guy with the key to the ammo cabinet.
    reade and WHEC724 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Ain't that the truth.

The gun range I go to has signs saying that ammo with steel or aluminum cases cannot be shot there. So I have no choice but to take brass cased .223 or 5.56 rounds. Also steel penetrator like m855 cannot be fired at the range either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    The gun range I go to has signs saying that ammo with steel or aluminum cases cannot be shot there. So I have no choice but to take brass cased .223 or 5.56 rounds. Also steel penetrator like m855 cannot be fired at the range either.
    Really? I have never heard of that. I believe those signs refer to the bullet type, not the casing type. Maybe I'm wrong?

Lots of ranges collect spent brass to sell. They don't want steel or aluminum cases in the mix.

There is also a safety concern. If folks do mix the steel and brass ammo and get a jammed gun, they don't want them trying to clear a jam like that on the firing line.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have shot both steel and brass. I've never had a problem with either. I've shot Wolf, Tulammo and Brown Bear. So far no issues. Here's a video about Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Have not seen it at mine - but I have not looked for it, either. Will take a look next time I'm over there - assuming I can find the guy with the key to the ammo cabinet.
    Dont you hate that stuff, it's like they're paid to hide from that area.
    10thmtn likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links