.223 ammo question

.223 ammo question

This is a discussion on .223 ammo question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm new to the AR15 so I have to ask, I was reading some various threads on the rifle and noticed someone dissing another guy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: .223 ammo question

.223 ammo question

I'm new to the AR15 so I have to ask, I was reading some various threads on the rifle and noticed someone dissing another guy for shooting steel case ammo (Russian). The guy quickly answered back he didn't shoot it but only kept it on hand for SHTF.

So my question, what's wrong with it? What should I buy?

Buy it. If it functions well in your AR, then run it with no worries.

Steel ammo is known to get stuck in the chamber of some guns, but it may work well in yours. You'll just have to try it and see.

I only buy brass because I reload.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Mine is 5.56 does that make any difference or does the steel simply not work in some guns?

What is your brand of choice?

In days gone by, steel case ammo could be corrosive or not have the proper coatings that would allow them to seize up in the chamber. Most of the modern steel case ammo is properly coated so that those problems no longer exist.

I have heard some folks argue that they'd never use steel case ammo in their rifle and I've heard others talk about how they've run 1000s of rounds of it through their rifle.

One dude made a good point that he runs it all the time, cleans his rifle more often because of it, but in the course of two years of shooting, he's saved enough $$ to purchase an additional new rifle. Makes sense to me but I'm not some died-in-the-wool purist.

Seems to me that it's fine to run in my rifle but I need to clean it a bit more frequently. I think I'll save the $$ so I can afford another rifle in two years!

Just don't shoot tulammo that stuff is as corrosive as it gets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    Just don't shoot tulammo that stuff is as corrosive as it gets
    What??? The only corrosive ammo you're going to find on the market today is older military surplus ammo. Any modern production ammo (for the commercial market especially) should be non-corrosive, even if it's made in Russia.

Steel cased/Russian ammo is probably not going to have as consistent velocities or the best accuracy but it goes bang... usually. Primers can be harder than domestic ammo.

Steel cased 7.62x39 is all I shoot through my 7.62x39 AR pistol though my friend has a lot of brass to load some defense rounds some time. Steel isn't too bad for this caliber because the case tapers quite a bit, making extraction from the chamber easier but I had to remove some material from my bolt tail for a little more firing pin protrusion so the rounds would reliably fire (hard primers).
    For .223/5.56, I've put a couple of boxes of steel cased Wolf through my AR without an issue, but I shoot my reloads almost exclusively. The rounds felt a little weaker than my mid-power plinking loads. Some time, I might get a case of steel cased .223. Picking up brass then spending hours processing it, then reloading it is getting kind of old, especially if I'm going to be shooting a lot of it. It's about the same price per round, maybe a little more.

Steel will not expand and obturate the chamber as well as brass. That means more gunk in the chamber. If you fire brass after running a bunch of steel cased ammo, the brass can stick in the chamber. This, in turn, can lead to damage to your extractor, as well as stuck cases in the chamber with the rim ripped off.

Also, some steel ammo had a lacquer that would tend to gum up the chamber - most nowadays have a polymer coating, IIRC.

The solution is to clean out the chamber very very well after firing steel cased ammo, before running brass. The concern is that all defensive ammo is brass cased, so if you practice with steel, you really won't know if you cleaned the chamber well enough...until it might be too late.

All that said - I will not run steel cased ammo through any of my rifles or handguns. Wal mart has brass cased ammo that is as cheap (or cheaper when you factor in shipping) than the imported steel cased ammo. I just see no need to risk it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I run steel and brass without trouble. I haven't mixed the two, yet, but that is just because I only ever grab one box or the other on the way to the range. It smells worse and there is more muzzle flash than with the M855 I also run, but I haven't noticed much difference while I clean it.

So wolf is ok?

RKM
    10thmtn covered it pretty well.

Shoot steel all you want. Just try to clean it up real good when you're done shooting.

Also, being 5.56 won't matter. 5.56 chambers are just ever so slightly larger. So a 5.56 chamber will get dirtier, theoretically since the .223 steel cases can't expand fully against the 5.56 chamber, especially since the 5.56 chamber is bigger than a .223. But still you should have no problems.

Personally I don't shoot steel cased ammo. I prefer to shoot 5.56 pressure rounds. Either Federal XM193 or Prvi M193.

Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    So wolf is ok?
    Yes.

I buy Tulammo by the spam can, but I also run Wolf Polyformance because that is the cheapest stuff at the local Dunham's.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Steel will not expand and obturate the chamber as well as brass. That means more gunk in the chamber. If you fire brass after running a bunch of steel cased ammo, the brass can stick in the chamber. This, in turn, can lead to damage to your extractor, as well as stuck cases in the chamber with the rim ripped off.

Also, some steel ammo had a lacquer that would tend to gum up the chamber - most nowadays have a polymer coating, IIRC.

The solution is to clean out the chamber very very well after firing steel cased ammo, before running brass. The concern is that all defensive ammo is brass cased, so if you practice with steel, you really won't know if you cleaned the chamber well enough...until it might be too late.

All that said - I will not run steel cased ammo through any of my rifles or handguns. Wal mart has brass cased ammo that is as cheap (or cheaper when you factor in shipping) than the imported steel cased ammo. I just see no need to risk it.
    Great post! I'm relatively new to the AR platform and I read in here about only running brass through it for much of the same reasons you mentioned. I can get brass cheaper than I can steel anyways.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    munch520 likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Walmart!? I need to go check that out.

I've occasionally run steel through one of my ARs with no problems. I always use it in my AK and SKS. I am confident in my ability to properly clean an AR chamber, so I have no real aversion to using the steel. That being said, I have lots and lots of brass-cased ammo for it that I've accumulated, and I still prefer to use it over steel. If prices continue to climb enough, I will make the switch at re-stock time and not expect it to hurt anything.

I've used it sometimes. It sucks but it's cheap.

Good luck getting reimbursed if Russian fodder blows up your gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links